Author Topic: dave k  (Read 6522 times)

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
dave k
« on: February 09, 2008, 04:28:32 PM »
greetings friends,
i was at my aa home group this morning. near the end of the speaker's message, he said something about his therapist, dave - that he had died recently. i was shocked! dave is one of the best friends i have ever had. we got sober together starting 20 years ago (he got there about 6 months before me) and we played softball together for 2 years in the mid 90's. he was a total class act and a dear friend. we did not, however, socialize together very often. our face to face friendship was almost exclusively at meetings or at trainings when we worked for the same rehab center.
anyway, dave had had chronic back problems for years - since the last year we played ball together. he was off work on sick leave when he began developing headaches and blurry vision. he went to the doctor and got some tests. he was diagnosed with cancer and died within three weeks - somewhere around january 12. i was away that weekend in wilkes barre where my father is recuperating from open heart surgery so i did not hear it announced at any meetings.
when the speaker talked about it i just sat stiff as a board and then began shaking, then crying, gently. i am still stunned. i hadn't seen dave since some time in june or july and he was doing great. his son had just turned 6 and was playing baseball and dave was so proud. (he and his wife had tried to have kids for years and finally were blessed 6 years ago with a son - luke. dave was 52. kathy is about 45.)
well, i have been working on some experimental and fairly dark pieces for a set that had no direction. i sat down this afternoon and polished a couple of the pieces and finished two wip's - including one alternate version. the spectre looms suddenly should be available for free download at www.rigelorionis.com late next week. it is a jim brenholts release and is dedicated to my good friend dave k - also a lover of ambient space music. (he was very twisted - he liked most of my stuff, too.)
i am extremely saddened by this turn of events. i thank all of you for your support.
all the best and God bless
jim
www.rigelorionis.com

sraymar

• View Profile
    • Steve Raymar
Re: dave k
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 09:59:24 PM »
Sorry to hear about your friend passing so young. I turned the big 50 last summer and I've made it an alcohol free year as well. Its wise to slow down and appreciate the moment(with some ambient music of course) to get the most out of life and prepare for the next one.

Steve
Ambient isn't just for technicians!

The artist isn't a special kind of man, but every man is a special kind of artist.

Don't be afraid to grow, give yourself a chance.

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 03:31:58 AM »
My thoughts are with you Jim.

einstein36

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008, 09:58:07 AM »
Sorry to hear this Jim....very sad day indeed..

P.S. email me if you need help in uploading and making that available for everyone to download off of your website...

greetings friends,
i was at my aa home group this morning. near the end of the speaker's message, he said something about his therapist, dave - that he had died recently. i was shocked! dave is one of the best friends i have ever had. we got sober together starting 20 years ago (he got there about 6 months before me) and we played softball together for 2 years in the mid 90's. he was a total class act and a dear friend. we did not, however, socialize together very often. our face to face friendship was almost exclusively at meetings or at trainings when we worked for the same rehab center.
anyway, dave had had chronic back problems for years - since the last year we played ball together. he was off work on sick leave when he began developing headaches and blurry vision. he went to the doctor and got some tests. he was diagnosed with cancer and died within three weeks - somewhere around january 12. i was away that weekend in wilkes barre where my father is recuperating from open heart surgery so i did not hear it announced at any meetings.
when the speaker talked about it i just sat stiff as a board and then began shaking, then crying, gently. i am still stunned. i hadn't seen dave since some time in june or july and he was doing great. his son had just turned 6 and was playing baseball and dave was so proud. (he and his wife had tried to have kids for years and finally were blessed 6 years ago with a son - luke. dave was 52. kathy is about 45.)
well, i have been working on some experimental and fairly dark pieces for a set that had no direction. i sat down this afternoon and polished a couple of the pieces and finished two wip's - including one alternate version. the spectre looms suddenly should be available for free download at www.rigelorionis.com late next week. it is a jim brenholts release and is dedicated to my good friend dave k - also a lover of ambient space music. (he was very twisted - he liked most of my stuff, too.)
i am extremely saddened by this turn of events. i thank all of you for your support.
Twitter: ImagineerR
Facebook: www.facebook.com/einstein36

lena

• Hypnos Manager/Life Manager
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • hypnos.com
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2008, 11:01:34 AM »
I'm so sorry to hear the sad news, Jim. It's one of the toughest things in the world, losing a really close friend...(((hugs))).

~Lena
When I die, I'm leaving my body to science fiction.

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2008, 02:12:38 PM »
Sorry, Jim. It's a terrible thing, I know... :'(

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2008, 05:12:01 PM »
thank you all for your kind words and sympathy.
i spoke with dave's wife today. apparently i did not have accurate information. he was diagnosed with advanced cancer on january 3rd - inoperable and spread throughout his entire body - and passed during surgery on january 11th. apparently he'd had cancer for quite some time and had an extremely high tolerance for pain. wow!
jim
www.rigelorionis.com

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2008, 09:26:56 PM »
I'm so sorry to hear about your friend Jim. It's really something that you can put your feelings directly into your art.
(It can take years before things come out in mine.)

SunDummy

• "Calm seas do not create good mariners."
    • View Profile
    • SunDummy.com
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2008, 10:53:07 PM »
Shit, Jim; sorry to hear this. 

Good thoughts and vibes coming your way.  A friend once told me, when a mutual friend had passed on, "It aint good, it aint bad; it's just the stuff of life."

Take time to heal, in your own way.
I wish I was a Glowworm; a Glowworm's never glum. 'Cause how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?

www.sundummy.com

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2008, 07:04:11 PM »
please go to my website - www.rigelorionis.com - and check out the dedication to my friend. download the cd and let me know what you think.
thanks!
jim
www.rigelorionis.com

jkn

• Global Moderator
  • cake or death? cake please.
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2008, 12:46:52 PM »
Jim - Sorry to hear about your friend.
John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

jblock

• View Profile
    • synthblock
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2008, 01:45:37 PM »
Jim, my thoughts are with you.
Jonathan Block
www.synthblock.com

lena

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • hypnos.com
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2008, 02:36:36 PM »
Jim~

WONDERFUL stuff! Some of your creations are like musical poetry, (& you really outdid yourself with, "Long May Your Legacy Thrive" <--I believe that's the title). I love it, it's so cool!  :) :) :) Really, really good job...
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 02:45:48 PM by lena »

lena

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • hypnos.com
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2008, 03:12:20 PM »
Hey Jim,

Maybe you should post a new topic for your album, (I think that a lot of people might not notice it here, & then they'd miss out on hearing it)!

jkn

• Global Moderator
  • cake or death? cake please.
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2008, 03:18:13 PM »
the Listening Booth would be a perfect place to put info on the album... 
John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2008, 04:45:06 PM »
Jim~

WONDERFUL stuff! Some of your creations are like musical poetry, (& you really outdid yourself with, "Long May Your Legacy Thrive" <--I believe that's the title). I love it, it's so cool!  :) :) :) Really, really good job...
thank you lena! that was the first track i created specifically for this set. (there is an alternate version with some very subtle percussion.)
jim
www.rigelorionis.com