Author Topic: Where you people sell gear these days?  (Read 3830 times)

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
Where you people sell gear these days?
« on: January 28, 2011, 03:55:16 PM »
It's been several years since I've sold electronic music gear. Back then, it was easy enough to sell things with a quick note on this forum, or if that failed, then an Ebay listing.

I don't really trust Ebay any more, as a seller (though it's mostly safe for buyers), but I'm getting ready to sell some studio gear soon.  Of course I'll list it here first, because that would be the easiest and free way to sell something, but if some of the gear isn't of interest to those of you reading this forum, where should I turn next? 

Suggestions? Recent experience with other sales outlets, good or bad?
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

Chad Hoefler

• View Profile
Re: Where you people sell gear these days?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 06:20:57 PM »
Mike, why don't you feel that eBay is trustworthy?  (Just curious).

Chad Hoefler

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 06:23:11 PM »
By the way, I sold some gear on eBay a year or so ago, and the transaction went very smoothly.

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 07:09:34 PM »
I know there are many transactions that go through smoothly, but I've heard horror stories about buyers who bid, win the item, and then reneg and never pay. Or people who buy, send money via Paypal, receive the item, then dispute with Paypal. Individuals I know have lost significant amounts of money with this kind of thing, or at least had to re-list items they'd thought were sold.

Sorry, I don't trust Ebay at all to protect sellers. Even if 98% of large transactions work out fine, those aren't good enough odds for me. I also don't want to support a marketplace in which buyers are given protection, yet sellers are not.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 11:07:32 PM »
I'm the same way. I want to sell some gear , but I'm nervous about ebay. I have a good friend who sells regularly there and he echoes Mike's stories about sellers vs. buyers on ebay. I just want to move my stuff to a good home and get a fair price in return. It's a shame we have to deal with the other crap. :-[
Never regret money spent on old books, old dogs or old friends.

Julio Di Benedetto

• Life is a privilege, not a right!
    • View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2011, 07:06:35 AM »
I have used ebay for years as a buyer and seller.  A good portion of my sales were international.  All audio related transactions. From a $10 cable to $3000 Equalizer. I can only say good things about ebay.  Not to say that there were no issues.

The last thing I sold on ebay in december 2010 was a Jomox analog drum machine to a person in Greece.  After a few days the buyer got in touch with me saying it was not working properly which was hard to imagine as I had had it a little over six months and hardly used it.  Still I was prepared to refund the buyer and cover return shipping cost.  We emailed over a few weeks and finally the part of the drum machine that apparently was not working didnt warrant the effort to return it.  I got positive feedback and the buyer got a mint drum machine with a very unfriendly user interface which I think was the cause of the buyers frustrations.

Ebay / Paypal works very well and you do pay for it. 

There are certain things I avoid.......I never buy something that does not actually show the item for sale.  If its expensive there should be detailed large pictures of the item.  I check the sellers other items for sale or sold recently.  How the item is priced tells a lot as well.   The same is true for me as a seller.  Lots of good photo's of the item for sale.....a picture's worth a thousand words.  I never end auctions early when someone asks privately.  I ship fast and pack really well.

From my experience ebay is fine, Im not a major player so perhaps Ive just been lucky.

Anyone ever tried Craigslist?

jkn

• Global Moderator
  • cake or death? cake please.
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2011, 07:51:34 AM »
I've only bought based on listings here and tend to never sell anything... mainly posting so you know I saw the question and didn't have anything real to add.  :-)
John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

Paul Vnuk (Ma Ja Le)

• View Profile
    • Paul's Myspace
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2011, 08:39:01 AM »
I use ebay only after Gear Slutz classifieds and here fail. I prefer the 1st two as there are no ebay fees.

Paul
"I liken good ambient to good poetry ... enjoyable, often powerful, and usually unpopular" APK

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2011, 05:44:00 PM »
I used craigslist last year which worked pretty good. I was surprised how fast everything moved. Ebay, as a seller I have had a couple of bad experiences, mostly with ebay/paypal, as a buyer on ebay had very little trouble. I've also sold a few things here a couple of years ago when I was out of work.
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2011, 05:49:48 PM »
I think I bought one of your pre-amps at that time, Loren. Still working great, btw.

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2011, 06:05:56 PM »
You have Kijiji down there, I assume.
Very good for selling and buying locally.
Similar to craigslist.
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

doombient

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2011, 03:30:46 AM »
Peter Forrest´s VEMIA auction would be the place to go for me, both when buying and selling more expensive or "vintag" studio gear, guitars, accessories etc. Expensive, yes, but you get what you pay for.

eBay´s always a bit of a risk, got cheated there twice in the last month so I´m a bit pissed off with it.

Stephen
"Honour thy error as a hidden intention." (Brian Eno)

jblock

• View Profile
    • synthblock
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2011, 03:11:33 PM »
I'm receding from ebay only because of the fees these days, which makes it more worthwhile to sell to some local stores in some cases. How about Trade Up Music?
Jonathan Block
www.synthblock.com

Numina

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2011, 08:19:14 AM »
I would be very wary when selling anything of value on eBay. I've sold a few CDs recently and already had a couple claims against me and I filed a claim against two people.

Basically, the claims against me were the person got the cd, left me positive feedback, then turned around and filed a claim with paypal and eBay stating their account was not authorized for use. The good news is not only was the amount small but it was reversed in my favor (after seeral weeks).

I had to file claims because people are selling complete CRAP! I bought a few records recently and one I received was absolutely trashed. All 3 sides of the sleeve ripped open, paint (or booger juice) on the sleeve, and now I got a record from a guy who sold it as "near-mint" but after receiving it, not only is a large portion of the cover torn off, it smells like sewer water. I filed a claim and the guy then admits it "may have been wet from a recent cyclone"...!? eBay actually found in my favor again but now the guy is pissed. I told him I'll gladly ship it back (to Australia) but only if he pays the shipping, he says he will appeal the ruling.

Here's my suggestion Mike - if you sell on eBay, limit big ticket stuff to U.S. Sales only. That way you can insure it with USPS.  If you do ship internationally, use U-pic.com for insurance.

jdh

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2011, 05:32:39 PM »
I have bought many audio items,books and a bit of music from ebay,never had a problem,value of $10 to $2500, had great dialogue with sellers. But I have never sold anything. I agree that craigslist is  a viable option.local is the way to go if you can.

Numina

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2011, 03:14:14 PM »
You know, I'm not sure if I just have bad luck or what but I've bought big electronics via eBay that were not working properly - including an Oberheim Xpander that needed a bunch of work after the seller stated it as "mint", and an Alesis Q2, Wedge, Quasimidi PolyMorph, and a Nord Modular - at the time I just lived with the damaged stuff because I was too busy in life to deal with a fight - plus I'm not sure if eBay/PP had any sort of buyer protection back then.  Anyway, yeah, you have to watch out, but I think the situation is a lot worse these days if you're buying.  A lot of people are out to sell old broken heavily-gigged smoke-smelling gear and sell it as "near-mint".  I try to find a good deal, but the problem is the sellers that have good deals almost never disclose issues with items.

Oh, and here's a new sneaky tactic that's being used - sellers are using images of different versions of items in the photo.  I see this all the time with CDs & records.  Sellers will use images for deluxe versions of CDs/Records and then in small print in the listing say "the photo shown is not the deluxe version"... so you have to really work hard to ensure you're buying the right thing.  It's pretty bad actually.  I don't know why the seller can't use an actual photo or find a proper one off the internet or discogs.com, so one can only conclude the seller is trying to trick you.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 03:16:08 PM by Numina »

jdh

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2011, 01:07:42 AM »
You know one thing with electronics on ebay is if the item for sale has a decent value from a well know manufacturer,I ask the seller to email me a photo of the serial number and then check with the manufacturer when that number was made,maybe which territory it was sold in.this gives you at least an idea of the history. Takes time but with the internet and toll free numbers,I have had some useful info passed on.plus I have to say that the electronics that I buy,I always either know how to repair it myself or have a local technician familiar with the gear. You need the knowledge first but generally the parts are very little money. But yes,that defeats the purpose of buying something in mint condition. more of a fall back position.