Author Topic: Cassette tapes..  (Read 7071 times)

Joe R

• View Profile
Re: Cassette tapes..
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2011, 08:01:27 PM »
Yep, if you're lucky enough to have one of those obsolete classics, I'd say put 'em on ebay.  I would've done that too, but I didn't have anything that might be a collector's item.

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2011, 08:19:12 PM »
I first heard Robert Rich's music in the mid-80s, when his Trances and Drones cassettes (they were originally released separately) were played on Stephen Hill's Hearts of Space program when it was a local radio show.  I still have the cassette version (c-90) of Inner Landscapes, which has a sequenced intro that was not included in the later CD reissue on Hypnos.  Robert later decided not to include the intro when it was reissued, but I still like it!

Forrest

Paul Vnuk (Ma Ja Le)

• View Profile
    • Paul's Myspace
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2011, 09:04:18 PM »
Cassettes, nasty nasty little things...the MP3's of their time, only the fact that they were physical was cool...but not that cool.

Although if it were not for cassettes, the Grateful Dead would have never thrived and I would not now have 1641 shows by them  ::)
"I liken good ambient to good poetry ... enjoyable, often powerful, and usually unpopular" APK

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2011, 11:38:47 PM »
Loren Nerell's excellent Book of Alchemy and Point of Arrival albums, for example. Mine are now in the hands of Darren Bergstein, in the hope that one day they will get transferred to MP3. Though with his schedule, it's not likely that'll happen anytime soon.

Scott, all you had to do was ask. Check your pm. I tried forever to get someone interested in releasing those two albums on CD, never could find anyone really wanting to do it. The funny thing, they might finally see the light of day, on vinyl of all things, I'm talking with a label about it right now. I originally wanted to release POA on vinyl, but didn't have the cash to do it at the time. 

All those points of the bad side of cassettes are pretty much spot on, I don't have a fondness for any of that, that was one reason why I never bought too many albums on cassette, preferring vinyl or CD instead. But I did enjoy using them creatively for my own enjoyment..
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

zzzone.net

• a numbers station ||| zzzone.net
    • View Profile
    • zzzone.net
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2011, 04:36:01 AM »
I still have boxes of cassette tapes.  In my heart I suspect that some of them are still wet with water from Hurricane Katrina.  Cassettes are like that for me.  Not only do they contain low-fidelity music and sounds from the past, but they also contain surprises like tape breaking, hiss, and getting tangled up in the playback device.

When I was a DJ, I made mixes for myself, friends and potential gigs.  Boomboxes were an essential accessory.

When I was very young, one of the first pieces of tech I had was a cassette recorder/player which I hauled around and whispered into.  I also recorded sounds off of shortwave radio including the now infamous numbers stations.

Unfortunately due to the fragility of the medium, most if not all of any tapes that I made are now broken or unplayable for other reasons.

Does everyone remember the skull and crossbones that were on tapes, "Home Taping Is Killing Music" or something like that?  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_Taping_Is_Killing_Music

I'm like, Mike.  I have no fondness for this transient medium.  It was good for the 80's and early 90's but it's time has gone.  I don't even have a functioning playback device (but I do have a nonfunctioning, double, fairly high-end cassette stereo component that needs to be dumped, I guess).

I do NOT understand why there is a resurgence unless the artists involved believe there is some sort of chic nostalgia to cassettes.  Perhaps these artists are young folks who don't recall the hiss, breakage, and lack of direct access.

Addendum:  I just noticed that you can get Eno's "Taking Tiger Mountain" on cassette on Amazon.com for a mere 18.95 used.  http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B003TZ2JSO/ref=tmm_acs_used_olp_0?ie=UTF8&condition=used
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 04:57:57 AM by jimzzzak »

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2011, 02:22:10 PM »

Does everyone remember the skull and crossbones that were on tapes, "Home Taping Is Killing Music" or something like that?  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_Taping_Is_Killing_Music

I do NOT understand why there is a resurgence unless the artists involved believe there is some sort of chic nostalgia to cassettes.  Perhaps these artists are young folks who don't recall the hiss, breakage, and lack of direct access.

I remember those labels. I never bought any prerecorded tapes, though.  I also don't understand wanting to go back to that medium. I don't believe I'll be buying any new cassete releases. Now, 8-tracks, that's something I can get excited about.  ::)
Never regret money spent on old books, old dogs or old friends.

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2011, 02:29:33 PM »
The funny thing is, the few years when those stickers were circulating were the financial high point in the history of the music industry .
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2011, 02:48:12 PM »
Cassettes were dead handy but that's the best you can say about them. To think that here were 'audiophile' Nakamichi cassette decks and metal tapes and all manner of esoteric Noise Reduction systems for such a sonically awful medium.

Apart from the 'arty' element, I can't see the point of a cassette release. I'm sure there are hiss and wow / flutter plugins that can be put onto a soundfile to emulate the 'sound' of tape, why not go the whole hog and go for a 32kbps mp3 release as well ? :)

cromag

• Just slightly off-topic
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2011, 08:46:07 PM »
I still have a couple big boxes of cassettes ... and I even pick up a few now and then at various thrift stores.

When I was doing my own home taping (which I don't believe is, or ever was, illegal) I used metal Type IV cassettes.  I was pretty happy with the way they sounded.
Science News, Vol. 175, No. 9, April 25, 2009, page 1 -- "New mapping of the human genome shows none of us are normal."

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2011, 12:58:50 AM »
To think that here were 'audiophile' Nakamichi cassette decks and metal tapes and all manner of esoteric Noise Reduction systems for such a sonically awful medium.

Don't knock it until you've tried it!;)  I bought a Nakamichi cassette deck in the early 90s when I tried to pare my record and CD collection down in preparing for leaner times as a starving artist.  It really did sound a lot better than my CD player at the time.  Last time I checked the deck (last year, when doing some tricky archiving of some ancient minimalist radio broadcasts to CDR), it worked just fine.  Tapes were a good medium for trading or archiving boots of decently recorded live shows.

It's not my preferred medium now, but the lowly cassette deck contributed a lot to my music education.

Forrest

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2011, 02:33:58 AM »
Forrest, I should add that at the time I was very into cassettes, but I wouldn't want to go 'back there', so to speak.

I sought out the best chrome and metal tapes I could get and I've still got a big box of them from my 4 track days TDK SA-X, Thats metal etc.). I bought a Bang and Olufsen Beocentre from a carboot sale recently to listen back to them, but most have stretched. I seem to remember the commercial album cassette releases were pretty shoddy construction-wise, my copy of Thomas Dolby's 'A Flat Earth' has certainly seen better days ! 

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2011, 04:46:34 AM »
I seem to remember the commercial album cassette releases were pretty shoddy construction-wise, my copy of Thomas Dolby's 'A Flat Earth' has certainly seen better days !

You remember right, they were awful! Columbia Records cassettes were the worst in my opinion, but they were all bad...

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2011, 05:41:01 AM »
Recently bought a DVD/HDD recorder for TV.

Tried copying some old VHS tapes to DVD and the quality difference between them and the current TV transmissions is amazing...It's only that these nature programmes are not available on DVD that makes me want to try it.

...and waiting for the tape to FFW was interminable.....

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2011, 08:46:45 AM »
Some of the most interesting non-Western music I heard in the early 90s came from cassettes made in Indonesia, Africa and China.  Downhome Music (home of Arhoolie records) had a nice stock of them.  In the late 80s, I used to find unusual cassettes of Chinese Buddhist music in San Francisco's Chinatown mixed in with cassettes of what was undoubtedly awful Westernized stuff.  Probably the wierdest cassette I found during that time was a cassette of westernized Chinese folk music called "Disco Chinese Folk."  Good to hear maybe once.

Forrest

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2011, 10:41:26 AM »
I have to agree with Forest here on a couple of his posts. We have Nakamichi decks at work and they are pretty good. The only thing better we have is a $3000 (in 1980s money) Studer cassette deck we have, which just sounds amazing. I usually use this deck to transfer stuff from cassette to digital.

And as Forest  pointed out, lots of third world countries still release music on cassette only. When I was in Bali doing my fieldwork for my thesis, I bought hundreds of cassette recordings of gamelan music, stuff you could only find and get on cassette locally. Sure the sound quality usually sucked, but it was the only way to get it. Some of my favorite gamelan music are on those cassettes.
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

SunDummy

• "Calm seas do not create good mariners."
    • View Profile
    • SunDummy.com
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2011, 04:04:28 PM »
Anyone have any interest in a bunch of misc. noise/ambient/odd 80's-90's tapes?  My brother has a box full of NWW, Cock ESP, MSR Tapes, Rising From the Red Sands, etc. cassettes he's gonna either pitch or give away.  If anyone's interested, I can get a detailed list.
I wish I was a Glowworm; a Glowworm's never glum. 'Cause how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?

www.sundummy.com