Author Topic: The Seaboard Piano  (Read 216 times)

Julio Di Benedetto

• Life is a privilege, not a right!
    • View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
The Seaboard Piano
« on: October 09, 2014, 04:57:49 PM »
Imagining the Seaboard on Vimeo

Seaboard by Roli on Vimeo

Link....https://www.roli.com/seaboard/

The future of controllers?

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
Re: The Seaboard Piano
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 06:19:59 PM »
Decades ago after an electronic music history lecture in Ottawa, I had the chance to play an Electronic Sackbut (by Hugh LeCaine) for a few minutes. Maybe it's because I play guitar but I had often found my hands rocking side to side for (imaginary) vibrato on piano keys. The (monophonic) Sackbut had keys that moved side-to-side bending pitch and up and down for volume and it was just the most natural keyboard instrument I'd laid hands on. Making vibrato at whatever speed and pitch bends was simply intuitive and a joy. Nothing afterwards has had that feel, but the Seaboard looks like it has a very similar approach. Space and cost will be large barriers for me to buy one, but I'd love to try one out some day.

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 05:46:52 AM »
Good story Scott.....not sure about the name of the keyboard, something I hope to avoid as I get older ;D

Oraison on Vimeo

The Hakem Continuum has been around for a while.  Heres a great performance from the late Richard Lainhart...RIP.

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2014, 09:01:18 AM »
That's heavenly... a beautiful piece played well on an expressive controller. I'm so glad to see the left/right pitch sliding appearing in controllers and synths. It really suits finger/hand/arm mechanics and instinct.

There's been some similarly expressive instruments appearing (in smaller form) for iPads like AniMoog (my fave synth app), MorphWiz and BeBot (which appears like a child's toy but which can be very expressive and which can be enhanced with distortions, delays and verbs).

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2014, 09:25:42 PM »
I agree Scott...Animoog is very cool.  I dont use it that much, or I should say record from it but I do find myself playing with it a lot.  I thing it sounds good and suggest what the future could bring, Touch sensitive monitors / computers controlling complex software in a exciting and visually stimulating way.

Ive seen other Lainhart videos playing his own music on the Buchla modular with the Hakem Continuum.  I try and track them down.

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2014, 06:06:17 AM »
Heres the link to Richard Lainhart's videos using the Haken controller with the Buchla 200e.  This is really a great demonstration of the 200e but also shows the expressive of the controller.

Link takes you to his Buchla page and then look below for July 27, 2007 piece & Chorale piece.  The introduction video is also a nice look at the Buchla 200e system.

These are quicktime so I could not embed them here....the site is worth visiting anyway.

Link :http://www.otownmedia.com/RichardLainhart/buchla.htm

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 12:04:25 PM »
good idea..but I wish I could have the same technology but in standard keyboad, I have always been wanting to wiggle the keys just like it was string to do vibratos..