MUSIC, AMBIENCE AND SOUND ART > Music Gearheads Tech Talk

Cans.....Whats on your head?

(1/17) > >>

Julio Di Benedetto:
Ive been using Grado Headphones these last few years.  Started with the Grado Sr125.  A recommendation by mastering engineers for QC & checking mixes.  The detail that comes out of these is quiet amazing.  Grado are notoriously uncomfortable but most put up with it because of the sound they reproduce.

I Just recently upgraded to a pair of Grado SR325si......twice the price as the SR 125 and 5 times as good.  These cans you could possible mix on. They are that accurate but you still dont get the spacial separation that studio monitors give.  The detail  & tonal balance from these is truly astonishing.  Also you do not need a headphone amp to get the best out of these as you need for cans such as the Sennheiser HD 600 or 650 and the AKG k701 that are in the same category....in other words your iPod can drive these

So.....Whats on your head?

doombient:
For mixing, mastering, monitoring, and plain listening I prefer the long-discontinued MB Quartphone 90 and 95 (they are now being produced under the "German Maestro" brand). Very comfortable on the ear, very transparent-sounding.

For live and studio use I also have a Beyerdynamic DT-770 which is nice because it shuts out ambient noise quite effectively but I think itīs a bit -mid-heavy and very tight on the head so after an hour or two I get some hearing troubles and a headache.

I used to have a Jecklin Float some years ago. Nice as it was, it was quite, erm, impractical to use (espcially in the studio).

Stephen

headonist:
Beyerdynamic DT880

I used to have top-notch Sennheisers before but I never got used to the sound from them. Switched to these Beyer-cans and very happy I was.

richardgurtler:
I am using Sennheiser HD 580:

but I am dreaming about Sennheiser HD 800:

So it's time for bank robbery now... :)

Richard

LNerell:
Plan old Sony 7506, mainly because they last forever and I know how they sound.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version