Author Topic: Cans.....Whats on your head?  (Read 16666 times)

Julio Di Benedetto

• Life is a privilege, not a right!
    • View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
Re: Cans.....Whats on your head?
« Reply #60 on: December 16, 2013, 08:53:23 PM »
Very.....came to these monitors from a Mastering setup that had lots of audiophile paraphernalia.  I wanted the full range listening capabilities that B&W 802's, my old speakers, within a smaller studio environment.  The Focal Twins delivered.

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 16, 2013, 09:21:51 PM »
Very.....came to these monitors from a Mastering setup that had lots of audiophile paraphernalia.  I wanted the full range listening capabilities that B&W 802's, my old speakers, within a smaller studio environment.  The Focal Twins delivered.

Nice, that you are satisfied, I would love to hear them.  I need more reference points, to compare with my HG3s, have not heard so many different monitors before, I have genlecs, and NS-10

I myself did go from a pair audio pro  HiFi speakers.
But for the price I paid for them I must say that sounded very good..

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #62 on: December 26, 2013, 05:09:27 PM »
FYI.....the Focal headphones really do an honest recreation of what I hear off the the Focal Twin monitors. This is great for Focal monitor owners but I feel it says so much more about the cans themselves.  Much that I do while tracking, which is when I use headphones the most will need little revision while mixing on the main monitors. This should be true for any monitor setup..... Kudos to Focal
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 06:07:19 PM by Julio Di Benedetto »

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 27, 2013, 08:12:26 AM »

had these 2 years now - still think they are fantastic. Though those Focals look very, very nice Julio

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 28, 2013, 05:30:19 AM »
I had the chance to try the sennheiser 800,  it is nice to get more reference points.
They sounded very 3D something that can't be said about my DT880.

I think it is really good to have atleast two headphones that complete each other. In all honesty
it is very hard to have a headphone that have only strengths and no weaknesses.
For instance if you had the 3D sound in the DT880 you would most likely not have the very strong
instrument separation etc..

I am very interested in the AKG K812, they are quite new, but they have get amazing feedback so far..
the price is very expensive but I have only seen 5 star reviews so far...they are not comparable to the K701  and k702 series...

Regarding reference points, I have asked a store in stockholm to take in the Stax sr 009
Just for fun to listen to them, to get a new reference point,  this is supposed to be the best headphones in the world without any competition that comes even remotely close.  That only drawback with them what I have heard is that once you have heard them all other headphones you listen to will sound like total crap..  These are Electrostatic headphones which is very rare.

http://www.wooaudio.com/headphones/stax/sr009.html

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #65 on: December 28, 2013, 06:17:57 AM »

had these 2 years now - still think they are fantastic. Though those Focals look very, very nice Julio

I think Seren I got my Grado SR 325 about the same time.....they are fantastic.  I originally got a pair of SR 125's based on mastering engineers singing the praise of grado's for being able to look, so to speak, deep into the music.  The Grado SR 325's are exciting to listen to.  The detail and soundstage is amazing.  The Focals do not have the same openness, they cant they are closed back and I would say that in a way they sound dull next to the Grado's and not that the Grados are hyped at all.  What I perceive as dull is a neutrality which is what Focal is after with these cans in an attempt to engage the pro audio market.  I believe Focal are going to make similar cans geared to the A/V - HiFi market.   

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 28, 2013, 06:56:07 AM »
had the chance to try the grados some days ago in stockholm I should have tried them..

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 28, 2013, 07:06:59 AM »
Grados is  all about the treble right ? the treble is quite excited on those grados ?

I still think best is to have more then one headphones... if you just have one you will easily get home blind.

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #68 on: December 28, 2013, 10:56:37 AM »
Immersion I would say they are bright....they are well balanced across the whole frequency spectrum.  Certainly no dark mud...lots of detail and air.

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 28, 2013, 11:43:54 AM »
Immersion I would say they are bright....they are well balanced across the whole frequency spectrum.  Certainly no dark mud...lots of detail and air.

Great..I am not a big fan of dark cans...
I like fast transient response cause that is where the clarity is.

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 29, 2013, 03:18:43 PM »
I would not say the Grado's are about the treble. You can have treble without clarity....you can have treble that is just harsh, unbalanced and muddy in it's own way.

The headphone forum's are full of varying opinions on all makes and models, so it is hard to make sense of what everyone is saying - many people seem to prefer different headphones for different genres of music.

For me, I enjoy the Grado 325's clarity and detail - I sound tested them with a number of other makes and after my Beyerdynamics (see earlier in the thread)  they were the only ones to make me go WOW. I took my portable cd player and CDs I knew well - did not want to get swayed by listening to a system I did not know and can't afford.

I have a Kodo CD and there is a point where one of the drummers moves across the soundstage - on everything else he (assuming it is a he) is sort of 'vaguely here and moving to vaguely there'. On the Grado's it is a pinpoint positioning and I can 'see' him move all the way across.....and this is on my 1999 technics player, not a modern state of the art player.

With them I have heard sounds and textures in my own music I had never heard before -  unfortunately not always for the good in some of my older stuff. Hopefully the headphones are helping me to be in more in control of my own sounds since I got them. it is hard to know as whatever else I play my music on I am uncertain how much of what I am hearing is what is being played or what I remember while making the music....

They are not comfortable or styled for fashion - so I assume all the money goes into making the sound as good as it is.

I've not compared them to the tesla's or other hi-flying phones, such as electro-statics to see what I'd have to do for an improvement I can hear and enjoy....

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #71 on: December 29, 2013, 03:37:02 PM »
Just a side issue. I find I use my AKGs much more than the Sonys because I prefer the non-coiled lead on the AKGs. I don't like coiled telephone type leads they always get in the way. But I'm mainly talking about while recording, not just sitting back listening.
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 30, 2013, 08:54:03 AM »
I would not say the Grado's are about the treble. You can have treble without clarity....you can have treble that is just harsh, unbalanced and muddy in it's own way.

The headphone forum's are full of varying opinions on all makes and models, so it is hard to make sense of what everyone is saying - many people seem to prefer different headphones for different genres of music.

For me, I enjoy the Grado 325's clarity and detail - I sound tested them with a number of other makes and after my Beyerdynamics (see earlier in the thread)  they were the only ones to make me go WOW. I took my portable cd player and CDs I knew well - did not want to get swayed by listening to a system I did not know and can't afford.

I have a Kodo CD and there is a point where one of the drummers moves across the soundstage - on everything else he (assuming it is a he) is sort of 'vaguely here and moving to vaguely there'. On the Grado's it is a pinpoint positioning and I can 'see' him move all the way across.....and this is on my 1999 technics player, not a modern state of the art player.

With them I have heard sounds and textures in my own music I had never heard before -  unfortunately not always for the good in some of my older stuff. Hopefully the headphones are helping me to be in more in control of my own sounds since I got them. it is hard to know as whatever else I play my music on I am uncertain how much of what I am hearing is what is being played or what I remember while making the music....

They are not comfortable or styled for fashion - so I assume all the money goes into making the sound as good as it is.

I've not compared them to the tesla's or other hi-flying phones, such as electro-statics to see what I'd have to do for an improvement I can hear and enjoy....

Yes you are right in the things you say.  But I think brigther headphones tend to bring out the clarity in the details a lot better.
Dark headphones I really hate that..  I do not care much about the bass but the treble is important for me.

Yeah you are right about the head fi forum which is I guess the forum you are talking about it is a big soup of subjective experiences and no one share each others experience cause all have different amps and different ears and taste and music taste..so many factors..but it would be easier if everyone did use the same amp for sure..

I really hate myself that I did not try the grados I had the chance to do it when I was in stockholm... I only tried HD800 and HD650 with the senheiser reference headphone amp.

I cannot stress enough how important the amp is. I did recently buy myself the Antelope Eclipse 384, and with it's headphone amp for instance i hear the reverb tails a lot better now, the tails are a lot longer then before.

I would really like tho have this DAC for my portable headphones

but it is just simply too expensive right now.. it is also a regular version of the Porta Tube amp..
It gets really good reviews.  the idea is to have it to my smartphone in my pocket to get really good portable sound.

Also the SPL phonitor 2 I think is really nice.

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 30, 2013, 02:31:16 PM »
A good treble will help bring out the details, but good overall clarity should have good bass and mid as well - otherwise the headphones (imho) are just overbright and harsh...

For me the whole spectrum should have clarity and detail - no point having a great treble if the bass is just mud or the mids sounding like through the bottom of a dustbin.

I would in general agree that a good amp and source are important - but with the grado's I heard new details in the music being played on my 15 year old Panasonic 'walkman' cd player.....the hi-fi shop said that I obviously knew what I was doing for the listening test and were very respectful and helpful.

The grado's can pull great detail from even basic equipment due to their sensitivity and level of overall detail and clarity.

I then got to play some of my music on the 16,000 set up they had in the shop - was very nice indeed.

Paul Vnuk (Ma Ja Le)

• View Profile
    • Paul's Myspace
« Reply #74 on: December 30, 2013, 07:48:02 PM »
I listened to the AKG K712's at AES a few months ago and these are what I am saving up for.
"I liken good ambient to good poetry ... enjoyable, often powerful, and usually unpopular" APK

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 31, 2013, 04:25:23 AM »
A good treble will help bring out the details, but good overall clarity should have good bass and mid as well - otherwise the headphones (imho) are just overbright and harsh...

For me the whole spectrum should have clarity and detail - no point having a great treble if the bass is just mud or the mids sounding like through the bottom of a dustbin.

I would in general agree that a good amp and source are important - but with the grado's I heard new details in the music being played on my 15 year old Panasonic 'walkman' cd player.....the hi-fi shop said that I obviously knew what I was doing for the listening test and were very respectful and helpful.

The grado's can pull great detail from even basic equipment due to their sensitivity and level of overall detail and clarity.

I then got to play some of my music on the 16,000 set up they had in the shop - was very nice indeed.

Well it is when we demand cans that performs good in all spectrums and are 3D good imaging etc that the prices of the cans and amps go up.. Yeah a good amp versus good phone is almost 50/50 but yeah some cans are more forgiving with bad amplication then others for sure, different cans respond different to amplification.  My DT880 is very hard driven, I wonder with my Antelope Elipse If I have finally met their full potential ? probably not but they sound better then with any other amp I have tried.

I do not know how easily driven the Grados are, but I feel the same with my Beyerdynamics DT1350 they sounded quite good with just using it on my Galaxy Note smartphone, of course a totally new level when I did attach my portable Go Vibe M7 amp...

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 31, 2013, 04:28:33 AM »
I listened to the AKG K712's at AES a few months ago and these are what I am saving up for.

I heard them a little bit in stockholm with the senheiser reference amp. I Remember I did prefer the HD800.
I remember the K712 sounded quite "dry" but yeah..it takes some time to adapt especially when you switch from HD800 which sound very different.

For many years I had my AKG 240studio as primary headphones.  I think for ambient music they are very good still..
music that lack of any bass will sound good, it has a very good treble and clear high range.  I should try it in my new head phone amp... but I know that can is very easily driven..

Anyway, right now I am looking forward to see more reviews etc from the AKG k812, it seem to gain popularity fast even though it is expensive..I Think maybe this will be a big seller.. I must admit though I do not like how they look... but yeah it is no hifi phones so...

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #77 on: January 05, 2014, 12:12:30 AM »
The Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro, 250 ohm version, is on sale right now at Amazon for $148, an excellent price for such a highly-regarded headphone.

http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/111254/amazon---beyerdynamic-dt-990-pro-250-open-headphones-250-ohm

Of course you'll probably want to use a headphone amp to get the best sound out of these, but if you're open to that (and not just plugging this directly into your iPod or something) this is quite a deal... which reminds me, I've been meaning to start a topic to discuss headphone amps.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 05, 2014, 07:30:23 AM »
The Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro, 250 ohm version, is on sale right now at Amazon for $148, an excellent price for such a highly-regarded headphone.

http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/111254/amazon---beyerdynamic-dt-990-pro-250-open-headphones-250-ohm

Of course you'll probably want to use a headphone amp to get the best sound out of these, but if you're open to that (and not just plugging this directly into your iPod or something) this is quite a deal... which reminds me, I've been meaning to start a topic to discuss headphone amps.

The bad thing regarding their mid priced headphones is that you end up having to pay more for the amp then the headphones.. the headphones can be wonderful but they can also be aweful with wrong amplication, my DT880 is extremely hard driven.  I am still not sure I have seen their full potential, but they sound like new headphones with my Antelope Eclipse.

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #79 on: January 05, 2014, 09:45:43 AM »
The same thing is true of many good headphones in the $200 - $500 range. They tend to be higher impedance, so they need an amplifier to really perform. Maybe it doesn't seem so bad to pay extra for an amp for a really expensive headphone, but as you say, if you buy a $150 headphone, you might end up paying more than that for an amp.

The way I look at it, though, is the amp and the headphone are separate purchases. If someone is just getting into better-quality headphones, maybe something like this DT990 Pro 250 ohm is their "gateway" to higher-end headphones. Maybe they have to buy an outboard amp for $150 to $500 more, but then they can continue to use that amp if they move up to even better headphones later.

I didn't really appreciate my Sennheiser HD580s until I plugged them into studio gear that had strong output at the headphone preamp. They improved even more with a dedicated, standalone amplifier. 

Lately, there are some good, high-output headphone amps for not too much money. I've been meaning to create a new topic about headphone amps, and I guess this is a good time to do so. I'm off to do that now!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 10:01:19 AM by mgriffin »
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions