Author Topic: Sort Of Odd..  (Read 2690 times)

AmbientReview

Sort Of Odd..
« on: February 18, 2011, 05:38:53 PM »
I create this account a few months back, explored the forums then left.. The other day I received an email letting me know that the forum was revamping and new.. So I decided to return and explore again.. I just can not get over the fact that, why would anyone need to have or create a forum to talk about music.. After all it is the music we listen to and enjoy.. and it speaks for itself.

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
Re: Sort Of Odd..
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 05:41:32 PM »
If there's no need to discuss music with others, what drove you to come here? People here seem to be getting something out of it.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

AmbientReview

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 05:56:41 PM »
mgriffin.. evidently you or your automated system sent me the email.. asking, almost begging that I log in or return.. if you have an issue with me "being" here.. then I'll ask that you remove my account.. and remove my email from your automated system response..

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 07:11:37 PM »
Sorry, I'm not sure what email you received. I think there was a message to all forum a couple months ago.

I didn't at all meant to say you aren't welcome to come here. I just meant that you seemed to be implying there was no reason for a place like this, yet you visited, so there must be some reason. You're definitely welcome and I apologize for the misunderstanding.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 08:37:18 PM »
"why would anyone need to have or create a forum to talk about music. After all it is the music we listen to and enjoy.. and it speaks for itself."

You will notice that people don't so much talk about a particular piece of music in order to replace it with language about the music. The forum is largely to do with people mentioning the music they are enjoying so others might discover and enjoy it as well.

www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

AmbientReview

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 08:08:05 AM »
Understood.. But I do that anyway on facebook.. Not much to say, other then posting the artist song titles, CD cover art and web site links.. I'm very thankful that many of the artist (followers) have allowed permission to use their images and data for just this purpose.

My comment should have been viewed as such.. a comment.. Not directed to or towards anyone..

What should have been done instead of a forum area.. Create an online listening port (station/s) geared to the music you produce or support..
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 08:11:08 AM by AmbientReview »

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 11:48:36 AM »
I'm curious - Since you believe the music speaks for itself - ie: no words or talk required - why do you call yourself AmbientReview?

Numina

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 04:38:02 PM »
 :o Odd indeed... the OP's comment is in itself "Sort of Odd"... actually VERY odd. I spend a large chunk of my life talking about the music I listen to.  In fact, I'd be miserable if I didn't.  Also, I second the question about the username being "AmbientReview" which that in and of itself implies you discuss/talk about the music you listen to... or am I completely misunderstanding you?

cromag

• Just slightly off-topic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 09:03:09 PM »
... The forum is largely to do with people mentioning the music they are enjoying so others might discover and enjoy it as well.

This is why I'm here, and it has has worked out very well for me!  ;D
Science News, Vol. 175, No. 9, April 25, 2009, page 1 -- "New mapping of the human genome shows none of us are normal."

Paul Vnuk (Ma Ja Le)

• View Profile
    • Paul's Myspace
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2011, 11:59:43 PM »
Talking about the passions of ones musical tastes and even healthy debate, has been a long held and honored tradition of the music fan, and one that I cherish.
"I liken good ambient to good poetry ... enjoyable, often powerful, and usually unpopular" APK

9dragons

• The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
    • View Profile
    • The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2011, 12:35:44 AM »
I visit the Hypnos forum about 100 times more than I check my facebook page. Much more relaxing and enjoyable here...

Antdude

• Punch and Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2011, 04:02:14 AM »
I visit the Hypnos forum about 100 times more than I check my facebook page. Much more relaxing and enjoyable here...

Good point. My Facebook friends probably think I'm dead, or at least in the hospital again for all the attention I pay to my page. I look forward more to what I'll find here than anything I'll read on my FB Wall. So, I'm either coming here to connect with my true muse, or I'm just an antisocial jerk.
I was just in my office and I heard a ruckus.

sraymar

• View Profile
    • Steve Raymar
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2011, 07:18:14 PM »
Didn't somebody once say that talking about music is like dancing about architecture?

Anyway, that said, there's actually a lot to be said even though it is after the fact, its more zen to experience it.

We can get clued into what to listen to and why its relevent, the artists involved(and how the world just doesn't understand), the production stuff,  packaging or lack thereof, where its being played, chances to perform with other artists, and a chance to sound off.
Ambient isn't just for technicians!

The artist isn't a special kind of man, but every man is a special kind of artist.

Don't be afraid to grow, give yourself a chance.

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2011, 07:23:10 AM »
I love discussions about music, I find it entertaining and very useful. I became exposed to probably 90% of the music I listen to from other people's thoughts/recommendations/reviews, or word-of-mouth.

I say, keep talking!  8)