Author Topic: Your scariest ambient track  (Read 2943 times)

Joe R

• View Profile
Your scariest ambient track
« on: February 28, 2011, 08:24:14 PM »
Mine would have to be Yoga- Part 1 from Necrophorus- Gathering Composed Thoughts. I'm not positive that's the name of the track, because I haven't heard it in years. Not only is it scary, but it's disgusting. It seems that Peter Andersson taped the sounds of his dog snoring, amplified and warped it and added sound effects, to the point that it sounds like a raving and drooling demon breathing down your neck. Eeewwww! I have to admire his skill in creating such a terrifying sound, but it's so repulsive that after my initial fascination of hearing it two or three times, I never wanted to hear it again. Which is probably just what he intended. Brrrr...

hjalmer

• View Profile
Re: Your scariest ambient track
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 03:20:59 PM »
j

lustmord | ixaxaar

as someone who had a hard time with the ”exorcist“
although a bit hokey, ”the monstrous soul“

lights out and loud still gives me the creeps

always blast out the window for halloween kiddies

h

judd stephens

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 10:53:51 PM »
quite a few years, maybe 4 or so ago on this forum, there was an artist who posted a free download that featured these loops of really strange, manipulated voices, over and over again.  It was like a really bad dream.  For the life of me I can't remember who the person was or what it was called.  Wish I had more in the way of a hint, but the effect of the track was creepy.  Maybe someone with the vaguest idea of that could chime in, but I just can't remember.

9dragons

• The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
    • View Profile
    • The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 12:41:05 AM »
The Rich/Lustmord collab takes the cake for me.

Inade has some excellent creepiness as well.

One really weird, maybe not necessarily creepy (depends on your mood) album I have been getting deep into lately is Roach's Possible Planet. I love that one.

Antdude

• I was told there would be no math
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 03:37:38 AM »
Lustmord's The Place Where the Black Stars Hang is a terrific album, but it's definitely one of the darkest slabs of primordial ambient ever made. Rather than depict a warm, flowing swash of peaceful contemplation, Place shows us a dark forbidding vacuum where no one can hear you scream, nor would they care if they could. A chilling journey with no promise of salvation or redemption. Love it when the mood is right. As Khan says, "It is very cooold....in spaaaace."
There is no spoon. Which sucks because I have a pudding cup.

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 05:54:56 AM »
There is a point towards the beginning of Irrlicht, by Kalus Schulze, where the sounds build in intensity that if I am not totally relaxed I have to turn it off - not scary in the sense of evil or someone out to get me - but in the sense of feeling a heart attack coming on. One of my favourite albums.

Throbbing Gristle managed to hit the scary place for me, mainly for the way they matched sounds to subject matter, when I was younger. There seemed to be  bands that followed them that somehow glorified the murky side of human nature which I found more unsettling than the music itself.....

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 03:23:35 PM »
Judd- I hope you can track that artist down. Voices manipulated the right way can really be creepy.

Seren  mentioned Throbbing Gristle, which reminded me ofCoil. Are You Shivering?, The Universe Is A Haunted House, Sick Mirrors, and especially Black Antlers rank right up there on the scare meter.

Rapoon- Library Of The Dead has some black creepy stuff, particularly Vibrations and The Long Hallway.

Ein Sophistry

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 11:08:37 PM »
Gotta mention the first track of I.Corax's album, The Cadaver Pulse I: Sealed in a Radiant Larval Maelstrom.

Sounds like being digested by Satan...or something.
Ain Sophistry
In Pursuit of Philosophical/Scientific Clarity in Scientific/Philosophical Thought.

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 11:40:06 PM »
quite a few years, maybe 4 or so ago on this forum, there was an artist who posted a free download that featured these loops of really strange, manipulated voices, over and over again.  It was like a really bad dream.  For the life of me I can't remember who the person was or what it was called.  Wish I had more in the way of a hint, but the effect of the track was creepy.  Maybe someone with the vaguest idea of that could chime in, but I just can't remember.

Judd, are you sure that wasn't a shortwave numbers station off of the Conet Project?  For creepy use of voices, I'd have to go with early Hafler Trio (Bang (An Open Letter) or Seven Hours Sleep).

For just general creepiness in an ambient vein, my pick would be Laszlo Hortobagyi's Traditional Music of Amygdala.

Forrest
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 11:47:24 PM by ffcal »

DeepR

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2011, 05:25:14 PM »
About Place Where The Black Stars Hang: I listened to it in bed with headphones one time and found parts of it very relaxing in a special kind of way, especially the fantastic track Metastatic Resonance. Personally I don't think it's a scary or creepy album.

Ein Sophistry

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2011, 01:09:00 AM »
About Place Where The Black Stars Hang: I listened to it in bed with headphones one time and found parts of it very relaxing in a special kind of way, especially the fantastic track Metastatic Resonance. Personally I don't think it's a scary or creepy album.

Agreed. I would nominate Zoetrope as Lustmord's scariest album. Some very eerie, bleak stuff on that one.
Ain Sophistry
In Pursuit of Philosophical/Scientific Clarity in Scientific/Philosophical Thought.

nuun

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2011, 06:26:10 AM »
>> It seems that Peter Andersson taped the sounds of his dog snoring, amplified and warped it
Yes he did  ;D

Besides, scariest ambient track: Lusmord - Heresy, Part 1.
Highly disturbing...