Author Topic: New album: Meg Bowles "A Quiet Light"  (Read 2765 times)

richardgurtler

• View Profile
    • My Discogs profile and shop
New album: Meg Bowles "A Quiet Light"
« on: March 02, 2011, 12:52:16 AM »
I think this is great news for all those who have followed Meg Bowles during the 90's. At the end of February Meg released on her own Kumatone Records fifth album, "A Quiet Light" CD. Maybe Meg will post more news on this forum, until then feel free to find out more on:

http://www.megbowlesmusic.com/

Welcome back, Meg, and all the best... :)

Richard

Anodize DB

• View Profile
Re: New album: Meg Bowles "A Quiet Light"
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 06:39:43 AM »
I think this is great news for all those who have followed Meg Bowles during the 90's. At the end of February Meg released on her own Kumatone Records fifth album, "A Quiet Light" CD. Maybe Meg will post more news on this forum, until then feel free to find out more on:

http://www.megbowlesmusic.com/

Welcome back, Meg, and all the best... :)

Richard

Yes, I agree, this is welcoming. I've followed her work for years myself...already purchased the new one, en route as we speak...
DARREN BERGSTEIN
> Anodize / tactile visual audio /  www.anodizesound.com / www.otperiphery.com
> Groupthink / wayward electroacoustic murmurings / www.groupthinksounds.com
> e: anodizesound@verizon.net

richardgurtler

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 07:31:33 AM »
I ordered my copy of "A Quiet Light" too and I can't wait to hear it!!! Time is running very fast, already 12 years passed since the wonderfully evocative "From The Dark Earth" album. So I think many of us are really looking forward to Meg's new work.

Richard

Scott Raymond

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 06:22:06 PM »
I've had this album for a few days now, as Meg sent me a promo copy. I don't have all the right adjectives, but it's utterly fantastic. Just a wonderful album from start to finish. Good to see her back in action, and I wholeheartedly recommend this to anyone here.

In related news, I'm very happy to announce that Meg will be a guest on my radio show on Sunday, April 10. She won't be playing live, but we'll be talking about her music and playing stuff from past and present albums. This is one I'm really looking forward to.

Scott Raymond
WVKR-FM
Scott Raymond
WVKR-FM
16 Penn St.
Fishkill, NY 12524
newage@secretmusic.net

richardgurtler

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 12:30:13 AM »
Hi Scott, now after reading your nice preview words on "A Quiet Light", I am even more excited. I didn't listen to any excerpts as I want to be fully surprised when the CD arrives into my mailbox and I think there is no need to listen to them when it goes to artists like Meg Bowles. Have an enjoyable time when talking with Meg on your radio show!

Richard

Bill Binkelman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 03:17:41 PM »
I've only listened to the first two tracks, but here is my reaction:

Welcome back, Meg! You were missed!
May the odds be ever in your favor.

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 03:21:20 PM »
Looks like you lost the beard, Bill.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

Bill Binkelman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 03:23:14 PM »
Looks like you lost the beard, Bill.

I actually think the guy looks like you, Mike!  ;D

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2011, 03:26:17 PM »
That guy's hand is bigger than his entire face.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

Bill Binkelman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 03:03:11 PM »
Just finished my first full listen of A Quiet Light. Fantastic contemplative warm floating spacemusic! Some gentle rhythms are present on some tracks, not so much beats as melodic pulses (reminded me a bit of John Lyell's Dimensions CD and also his previous album with Brent Reiland, Synthetic Universe, but Meg's music is warmer, flows more, and the rhythms are less "in your face"). A Quiet Light also shares some qualities with Geodesium's (aka Mark Pedersen who, BTW, also has a new CD out as well) quieter more subdued work. Finally, of course, there is also a similarity to Serrie's earlier classic works such as And The Stars Go with You...but despite all the comparisons I make, this is definitely A Meg Bowles CD, not an imitation of anyone else. Every now and then I heard textures and instrumentation similar to Blue Cosmos or From the Dark Earth (less the latter). This is not dark ambient at all, IMO, but is not feathery light either. It's not uber-dramatic, like Telomere's (Chris MacDonald) Serge synthesizer, or Demby's spacemusic...the music is laid back and relaxing, yet richly evocative and not in the least bit syrupy (as some have characterized such Serrie discs as Lumia Nights and Midsummer Century). The titles aptly convey the music that awaits you: "Nocturnal Flight," "Glacial Dawn," "Beyond the Far Shore," and the title track, to name 4 of the 6 songs. Track length runs from 8:22 to the closing title track at 14:38, so it's ideal "spacing out" music with distinct gaps between cuts but seamless transitions. Recording quality is excellent. I listened on headphones and the mix and engineering is spot on...different textures, rhythms, and musical both coalesce and stay distinct, which is as it should be IMO.

Cool cover, too!

Welcome back, Meg! It's obvious that not only have you not lost a step, but you've have actually reached a higher level of spacemusic mastery!

forestmage

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 08:18:02 PM »
It's been so long since I listened to her music I'm really looking forward to hearing this. Her early work is quite good.

richardgurtler

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2011, 06:46:07 AM »
Hi forestmage, I am sure you will enjoy "A Quiet Light" CD as much as you did earlier work of Meg. You can trust to Bill's review, he is true to his words. All the best.

Richard