Author Topic: "Classical" Music or Contemporary Composition Listeners?  (Read 28102 times)

Gurdonark

• View Profile
Re: "Classical" Music or Contemporary Composition Listeners?
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2008, 07:30:29 PM »
I love classical music. When I listen to classical, I tend to listen to:
Sibelius, whose austere majesty, though non-ambient, certainly can find a resonance with ambient music
Satie, a father of ambient music
Milhaud, someone who appreciated sound as sound
Copland, arguably not "ambient" at all, and yet someone willing to put aside the formalism of his time to find a way to use sound to connect with an audience--to me a very ambient idea, in that our music is in some ways a different kind of individualized folk music.
early chants and church vocal pieces, which are ambient in design and execution

Even composers who might not be "ambient" even by analogy, such as Tchaikovsky, make densely textured music which speaks in broad instrumental passages--a reward for patience that any ambient fan completely understands.
Dark ambient fans appreciate how Schoenberg's work is essentially kindred to dark ambient material made under its shadow.

Among the modernists, Philip Glass' minimalism resonates with ambient minimalism (which is, actually, a by-product of the application of the minimalist theories to our more "folk" idiom). Golijov's music is "narrative" in its sound, and yet part of the joy of hearing it is that it is a celebration of sound itself.

Lately I think we must "save" classical music from a generation no longer attuned to it--and in so doing, we will save and extend the ambient listening base as well. If one bought 1 classical album for every 4 ambient ones, then perhaps the world would be a more classical--and ambient--place.

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2008, 12:25:40 AM »
Having been brought up on classical music and having had some rudimentary compositional training in it in college, I can't think of a time when I haven't been listening to it, though my tastes have changed over the years.  In the last few years, I've been listening to a lot of Mozart piano concertos, Baroque chamber music (especially concerto grossi) and pianists such as Mitsuko Uchida, Richard Goode (who recently gave a great recital in Berkeley), and Glenn Gould.  I think the classical training has helped me to identify structure and form in music more clearly, whether I'm recording my own stuff or listening for pleasure.

Forrest

deepspace

• View Profile
    • deepspace home page
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2008, 05:43:53 AM »
The comparison between composers like Debussy, and ambient music is very valid.

Debussy, and a lot of his contemporaries and followers were very much interested in the sounds of the east, in particular gamelan based music.  The fifths and whole tone usage in some of these impressionistic compositions echoes the tonally nebulous sounds of the bells and gongs of gamelan music to a great extent.

And ambient music often plays around with this too- Going back to 1/1 by Brian Eno- the piano sounds like part of a gamelan orchestra with it's detached bell-like sound.  The drone itself, i think is an attempt to continue the sustain of the bell, or the slowing of the thought.....the slowing down of time, in an attempt to enter those impossible places that ambient music speaks about.  The diffuse yet tonal harmony that a lot of ambient composers play with....overlapping keys etc are attempting to achieve the same sense of magic and wonder that Debussy and Ravel were trying to create. 

Ives, "The unfinished chord", written at the beginning of the 20th century....could be an ambient album- the slow string part repeats in a way that would not be seen again until minimalism in the 60's.  Uncanny.

Listen to deepspace here: http://deepspacehome.com

deepspace

• View Profile
    • deepspace home page
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2008, 05:48:02 AM »
Vaughan Williams always reminds me of Steve Roach. :)

There's something about the way they both represent landscape that just blows my mind.

DeepR

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2008, 05:19:36 PM »
I'm very much into piano music.

Currently studying on the piano my beloved and famous Rachmaninov - Prelude in C sharp Minor Op. 3 No. 2

I'll get there, slowly but surely...doing the middle section at half that speed for the moment.
When I started with piano lessons almost a year ago I could have never dreamed of trying to play this.
But it helped a lot that I played keyboard/synth for many years as a kid.

Oh and someday, I hope to be able to play this:

Dunno if that's even possible not having been a child prodigy and all. Keep dreaming ;D

deepspace

• View Profile
    • deepspace home page
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2008, 01:27:28 AM »
Jeez, that's a big piece.  Massive chords.  I remember a student learning that piece for an audition for the Conservatorium of Music here in Queensland.  It was far too ambitious, and he didn't get into the program, probably because of that.  So many players over-reach in the classical world, and attempt pieces that are way beyond their reach.  I would say that the adjudicators would have wanted to see something far simpler.

Hope it's going well with the piece anyway. :)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 05:41:32 AM by deepspace »

DeepR

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2008, 08:49:48 AM »
Jeez, that's a big piece.  Massive chords.  I remember a student learning that piece for an audition for the Conservatorium of Music here in Queensland.  It was far too ambitious, and he didn't get into the program, probably because of that.  So many players over-reach in the classical world, and attempt pieces that are way beyond their reach.  I would say that the adjudicators would have wanted to see something far simpler.

Hope it's going well with the piece anyway. :)

It's an advanced piece but it's not that hard to learn. 'Easy to learn, hard to master' as they say.
I can play it now. :) Pretty decent I think.
But you're right in the piano world this is one of those pieces that is considered 'overplayed'. Many home recordings on youtube, some very bad.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 08:52:43 AM by DeepR »

Antdude

• I was told there would be no math
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2008, 10:22:28 AM »
Since we're posting youtube clips, I thought I'd contribute to the Sunday conversation with this clip of Vladimir Horowitz's 1986 recital in Moscow.

It was my first laserdisc purchase  ;D and this was my favorite piece from that performance. I love Scarlatti and this is a beautiful interpretation.
There is no spoon. Which sucks because I have a pudding cup.

1000snakes

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2008, 01:38:26 PM »
Here is one approach for playing some of Rachmaninov's more challenging voicings.

Dave Fisher

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2008, 07:55:37 AM »
Been LOVING the new Jason Sloan album "Ending Light." I can't wait to get this album going during the Fall. Wonderful music for that season.
Also been playing the second two album from Ulrich Schnauss, "A Strangely Isolated Place" and "Good Bye"
Pulled out the live Sonic Youth album "Sonic Death Live" the other day from 1985-86. Good stuff. I also downloaded from emusic the second disc of Papa Roach's Emptus. I really like the second track on there a lot "Release." A lot of that track draws on material from the actual album proper, but it's like a good remix. I'm curious about Land Mass now... hopefully it's new material and not recycled Roach. I hate when he does that.

Dave

solyaris

« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2008, 03:34:04 AM »
here mentioned Arvo Pärt ... so I have to mention Björk :)

scarletcat

« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2008, 07:03:30 AM »
I love classis music specially 80's music

solyaris

« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2008, 07:27:23 AM »
80's music

do  you mean Beethoven or Björk ? :)

giorgio

Kaarinen

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2008, 07:35:39 AM »
Since Pärt is mentioned, I think this Estonian composer might also do the trick for some of you. A friend of mine  recently recommended Urmas Sisask and I've now really taken a liking to his Magnificat. Haven't heard anything else from him yet, but I think I'll have to look for more soon.

Veijo Tormis has some interesting stuff as well, check it out!

SunDummy

• "Calm seas do not create good mariners."
    • View Profile
    • SunDummy.com
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2008, 10:23:42 AM »
As I get older, I find myself listening to the more experimental and challenging modern composers, as opposed to more 'smooth' or 'beautiful' stuff.  Not sure why, but for some reason atonal and dissonant sounds seem to call to me.   :)

A big fave is Iancu Dumitrescu; his stuff is both annoying and amazing at the same time.  Incredible sounds from 'normal' instruments.
I wish I was a Glowworm; a Glowworm's never glum. 'Cause how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?

www.sundummy.com

cookie monster

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2008, 10:47:13 PM »
This topic I expected. love classical music. I was listening to classical music before psy & chill.  Chopin in particular loves it.  ;) Nocturne and Farewell Song(op-10-3)  which are the most famous for music of Chopin are the works which I love.
And I want to say goodbye by a live broadcasting performance in my funeral at church.  :'( This was a dream from time of the junior high student  ::)However, I think that this music is "ENDE" good now
Farewell Song op10-3http://classic-midi.com/midi_player/mbox/mbox_Chopin_wakare.htm
Nocturne  op9-2http://classic-midi.com/midi_player/classic/cla_Chopin_nocturn2.htm
Ende kettlehttp://microsites.sendingorbs.com/so009/
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 11:16:08 PM by cookie monster »

DeepR

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2008, 06:19:27 PM »
As someone who is passionate about both electronic music/ambient and classical music I'm always curious how classical enthusiasts perceive electronic music (that I think is good).
I dont want to compare these incomparable and totally different music genres, but I'm just interested in their tastes I guess...and their 'ability' to appreciate other music.
For me the connection is that both genres can stimulate me intellectually and emotionally on the same level, deeper than any other music.

I'm active on some piano forums and I was thinking about making a topic on this. But I don't know... I think I will encounter a lot snobbism from classical purists who despise everything that isn't classical.
I think electronic music, more specifically ambient (in the broadest sense) may require a specific mindset to be able to appreciate... ;D

DeepR

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2009, 12:59:37 PM »
Here's something on the piano I recently recorded. :)

Rachmaninov - Rhapsody on a theme of Paganini, 18th variation (solo piano arrangement)
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?nfk5hmunjj2

Instrument: Roland HP-201 digital piano

and for those interested in the sheet music:
*link dead*

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 02:52:51 PM by DeepR »

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2009, 02:07:23 AM »
Nice performanace, DeepR.  Thanks for sharing.  The arrangement sounds a lot nicer without the swelling orchestra.

I enjoy classical and electronic music equally, but probably for different reasons.  I think the structure and logic of baroque and minimalist music probably appeal to me on a subliminal level, but it's not a conscious thing.  Electronic music has always appealed as a seemingly three-dimensional environment that can approached from different angles.  I've never felt purist about classical, though I certainly have my preferences as to styles and performers.  I also have very eclectic tastes, having been brought up on heavy doses of progressive rock, non-Western musics and exploratory jazz.

Forrest

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2009, 10:19:25 PM »
Has anyone heard Giya Kancheli ???

He is kind of comparable with Pärt...both have en spiritual approach to the music, kancheli is maybe more minimalistic and bleak....

I can recommend the following albums....

Diplipito
In l'istesso tempo
Magnum Ignotum
Exil
Abii Ne Viderem
Simi; Mourned by the Wind
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 10:24:06 PM by Immersion »