Author Topic: Currently listening, part 1  (Read 1202948 times)

ffcal

• View Profile
Re: Currently listening, part 1
« Reply #5060 on: May 18, 2016, 09:33:32 AM »

Recent listens:

Eliane Radigue - L'ile Re-Sonante

Awesome. I thought I was the only one here who listened to her music.
[/quote]

Hi Castleview,

I had a hard time tracking this album down, but am glad I did.  She manages to say so much with seemingly so little.  My favorite kind of minimalism.

That Shirotsubaki sounds nice.  Reminds me of Hakobune's work.

Forrest

Castleview

• View Profile
« Reply #5061 on: May 18, 2016, 01:39:11 PM »
Agreed on Radigue. I couldn't have said it any better myself. She's actually become a big influence on my music.

spunknik

• View Profile
« Reply #5062 on: May 18, 2016, 05:46:15 PM »
Does anyone here listen to Sarah Davachi?Maybe I'm sexist but there's something totally awesome about seeing her surrounded by all those synths!Check her out and I'm going to look up Eliane Radigue.

Julio Di Benedetto

• Life is a privilege, not a right!
    • View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #5063 on: May 19, 2016, 06:13:08 AM »
Just these last few days I have been listen To Eliane Radigue...Beautuful drones that seem to do nothing and yet.....transamorem transmortem is what Im playing

Eliane Radigue interview.....

Also I have been streaming Davachi,very good....https://sarahdavachi.bandcamp.com/album/dominions

New release from Donnacha Costello that got my attention done on a EMS Synthi portable modular....https://donnachacostello.bandcamp.com/album/mouvements
And this stunning music performed on the Buchla Music easel....http://donnachacostello.bandcamp.com/album/stay-perfectly-still

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #5064 on: May 19, 2016, 06:26:51 PM »
Thanks, Julio.  Radigue is very unique.  Once I got past my initial reaction ("test tones??"), I could hear more subtle textural things happening on almost a subconscious level.  I'm also just getting into her "Jetsun Mila" release on Lovely Music.  Will have to check out transamorem transmortem soon.

Forrest

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #5065 on: May 20, 2016, 05:04:46 AM »
Tomita - The Planets.
   Definitely an influence on me - especially in the sound/noise sections.
   I used to listen to it under the influence and the more ethereal sections still sound the same to me - very psychedelic and like an aural Bridget Riley Picture.
   I still find the complexity of the both the recording and individual sounds amazing given it was recorded (I think) in 1976.

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #5066 on: May 20, 2016, 05:55:39 AM »
Thanks, Julio.  Radigue is very unique.  Once I got past my initial reaction ("test tones??"), I could hear more subtle textural things happening on almost a subconscious level.  I'm also just getting into her "Jetsun Mila" release on Lovely Music.  Will have to check out transamorem transmortem soon.

Forrest

Yes Forrest, her music does require some work or patience to get past the "test tones"......Im intrigued how most piece that I have listen to start with  long single note drones out of the left channel and the right comes in a fair bit later. Curious and at first annoying in a way or better put attention demanding. Also struck by how the outside world of sounds work with her music....Im listen on open back headphones. 

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #5067 on: May 20, 2016, 04:57:24 PM »
Steve Roach/vidna obmana - Well Of Souls --A classic revisited. This is easily one of my top five ambient albums.

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #5068 on: May 20, 2016, 05:25:33 PM »
Well of Souls = two thumbs up

Forrest: What are your thoughts on the new Robert Rich album you mentioned? I've only been able to find short samples of it online and can't really gauge it well from those alone.

Recent plays:

Aes Dana, featuring Miktek - Far & Off
A compilation of EPs from Ultimae. Masterful hybrid of ambient and various electronic styles. 
https://ultimae.bandcamp.com/album/far-off-24bits

Lav - Awareness
Nice ambient pads with lots of breathing room and a few special quirks to keep things interesting.
https://amone.bandcamp.com/album/awareness

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #5069 on: May 20, 2016, 06:33:09 PM »
.Im intrigued how most piece that I have listen to start with  long single note drones out of the left channel and the right comes in a fair bit later. Curious and at first annoying in a way or better put attention demanding.

Julio, I think some of her pieces may have been intended for multi-channel playback or for at least speaker playback.  I prefer headphones, too, for the detail, though I'm probably missing some of the effect of having the sound bounce around in my space.

Another album you might like from an early 70s EM pioneer is David Behrman's On The Other Ocean.  He uses algorithmic software to interact with live musicians (oboe, cello).  Some of it is very beautiful:

Forrest
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 06:45:42 PM by ffcal »

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #5070 on: May 20, 2016, 06:42:33 PM »
Forrest: What are your thoughts on the new Robert Rich album you mentioned? I've only been able to find short samples of it online and can't really gauge it well from those alone.

Chris, I'm probably not the most objective person to answer this, since I heard a bit of while it was in progress and contributed some sounds that Robert manipulated and processed for his piece.  It's a slightly dark work, given the subject matter (life after humans are gone, but with other lifeforms emerging).  In terms of textures, some are abstract and soundscape-y, though there are also familiar ambient and melodic voices and tonal beds, too, and occasional percussion.  The pieces flow into each other nicely, much like Robert's other works.  I like it.

Forrest

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #5071 on: May 21, 2016, 08:41:57 AM »
.Im intrigued how most piece that I have listen to start with  long single note drones out of the left channel and the right comes in a fair bit later. Curious and at first annoying in a way or better put attention demanding.

Julio, I think some of her pieces may have been intended for multi-channel playback or for at least speaker playback.  I prefer headphones, too, for the detail, though I'm probably missing some of the effect of having the sound bounce around in my space.

Another album you might like from an early 70s EM pioneer is David Behrman's On The Other Ocean.  He uses algorithmic software to interact with live musicians (oboe, cello).  Some of it is very beautiful:

Forrest

Yes she talks about quadraphonic setup in the interview, makes sense now.

Thats a beautiful piece Forrest......thanks, I will look into Behrman,s music.