Author Topic: Currently listening, part 1  (Read 931709 times)

ffcal

• View Profile
Re: Currently listening, part 1
« Reply #4700 on: June 23, 2015, 04:38:56 PM »
Woob 2 (em:t 4495).  I just paid a whopping $70 for this rare CD on Discogs, which is comparatively low to what others are asking.  As often pointed out, not as good overall as the first release, but still excellent.  Has a psychedelic jungle feel on the rhythmic pieces, with its share of quiet moody interludes.

I like Woob/Paul Franklin's "Journeyman" collab with Colin Waterton, "Mama 6."  I finally tracked down a copy.  It's very spacey and ambient in places.

Forrest

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #4701 on: June 24, 2015, 10:00:50 AM »
Hey Chris, followed the link to the Jaja album Stellamare.  I thought this might be a cool album until I heard the CHIRPING BIRDS.  I was not aware there were birds flying around in outer space.  Kinda ruined it for me.

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
« Reply #4702 on: June 24, 2015, 12:46:21 PM »
Damn spacebirds!   :o

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #4703 on: June 24, 2015, 01:26:33 PM »
Damn spacebirds!   :o

Saul's Edge of the Forest CD has a ton of 'em.  Just don't watch Hitchcock's The Birds before you listen to it.   ;)

Forrest

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #4704 on: June 24, 2015, 05:58:00 PM »
haha

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #4705 on: June 28, 2015, 10:31:02 AM »
Dirk Serries - The Origin Reversal + Disorientation Flow
These two albums, both released on Projekt, are similar in structure. Guitar looping, layering, and processing. Light atmospherics and truly beautiful stuff, but works best for me as background music. I must confess, I'm really excited by these new releases; I couldn't really connect with the music Dirk was releasing after 2004 or so. These recent releases hit the right spot for me.
Buy/Listen: https://projektrecords.bandcamp.com/album/the-origin-reversal
Buy/Listen: https://projektrecords.bandcamp.com/album/disorientation-flow

Alva Noto - Xerrox, Vol. 3
This was getting some attention on the ambient listserv, so I decided to give it a try. Some of the tracks are amazing (2ndevol, Isola). Good pickup if you're into the experimental side of ambient.
Buy/Samples: http://www.raster-noton.net/detail/index/sArticle/647

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #4706 on: June 30, 2015, 02:25:47 PM »
Dirk Serries - The Origin Reversal + Disorientation Flow
These two albums, both released on Projekt, are similar in structure. Guitar looping, layering, and processing. Light atmospherics and truly beautiful stuff, but works best for me as background music. I must confess, I'm really excited by these new releases; I couldn't really connect with the music Dirk was releasing after 2004 or so. These recent releases hit the right spot for me.
Buy/Listen: https://projektrecords.bandcamp.com/album/the-origin-reversal
Buy/Listen: https://projektrecords.bandcamp.com/album/disorientation-flow

and very nice they are too....

I have been listening to - As Lonely As Dave Bowman - Monolith
Second album following after 'Pod' and exploring the world of 2001. I'm enjoying it a lot, will need to wait to see if I prefer it to the first release

Dave Michuda

• View Profile
    • Low Light Mixes
« Reply #4707 on: Yesterday at 07:15:12 AM »
Chris - You are exactly right with regards to the recent Dirk Serries albums.  I like his return to vidnaObmana style ambience.  I love ambient guitar so these two releases are right in my wheelhouse.  I actually didn't know about "Disorientation Flow" until I saw your post, so thanks for the heads up.

Other recent spins:

Alva Noto | Xerrox vol.3  -  Chris, you are right on this one too.  Some spectacular cuts on it & overall one of my favorite ambient albums of the year.

Marconi Union | Departures  - Good spacey ambient from Marconi Union who never disappoint.

Steve Roach | Skeleton Keys  -  I haven't really liked Roach's berlin school stuff in a long time but this one worked for me, I like it a lot.

David Cross & Robert Fripp | Starless Starlight  -  A collection of tracks that play off the song "Starless" from the King Crimson album Red.  The tunes are essentially ambient violin, loops & electronics with the occasional guitar noodling from Fripp.  I love the original track so much that it is great to hear this new take on that theme.

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #4708 on: Yesterday at 12:12:41 PM »
Purl--Stillpoint.  Ambient dub on the Silent Season label.  I am selling my copy, let me know if interested.  It's sold out already, 350 copies were pressed...