Author Topic: Currently listening, part 1  (Read 830361 times)

thirdsystem

• View Profile
Re: Currently listening, part 1
« Reply #4460 on: November 15, 2014, 12:39:18 PM »

Bubble - i,ii,iii, Features of Spheres, and █   Really wonderful ambient.

Great choice!!!

Richard  ;)

Indeed !!!!! Some wonderful music here. I am loving it  :)

DeepR

• View Profile
« Reply #4461 on: November 15, 2014, 02:21:50 PM »
Steve Roach & friends - The Ambient Expanse
Steve Roach & Vir Unis - Blood Machine

Gotta love these... Does anyone know whatever happened to the Blood Machine re-release that was supposed to come out on Atmoworks??

richardgurtler

• View Profile
    • My Discogs profile and shop
« Reply #4462 on: November 15, 2014, 04:28:03 PM »
Steve Roach & Vir Unis - Blood Machine

Gotta love these... Does anyone know whatever happened to the Blood Machine re-release that was supposed to come out on Atmoworks??

Well, I believe it has something to do with the copyrights.  And also the original CD by Green House Music is still available through Steve's webshop for 10,00 USD. That's a steal for such groundbreaking album, definitely a milestone!!!

Richard

Dave Michuda

• View Profile
    • Low Light Mixes
« Reply #4463 on: November 16, 2014, 10:55:42 AM »
Loscil - Sea Island  -  Another absolutely perfect album from Loscil.  I don't actually have it yet as it will be released on the 17th.  But it's streaming here... http://blog.iso50.com/33993/iso50-exclusive-loscil-album-stream/   I've been listening to it all weekend and love it so far.

Dirty Beaches - Stateless  -  A departure from his previous albums, these 4 songs are all instrumental featuring viola, tenor sax and synths.  A couple nice drones here, a slow moving chamber music piece and a track called "Displaced" which is worth the price of the album. It's a repetitive & droney, with the sax pulsating over the top.  It has a Steve Reich feel to it. https://dirtybeaches.bandcamp.com/album/stateless

Thomas Koner - La Barca Complete Edition - Thanks to Chris for the recommendation on this one.  Excellent combo of synths, atmospherics & field recordings, many of which sound like they were recorded in train stations or airports.  https://thomaskoner.bandcamp.com/album/la-barca-complete-edition

Heathered Pearls - Loyal  -  very nice recording that perfectly balances ambience & noise.   http://ghostly.com/releases/loyal

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #4464 on: November 16, 2014, 09:01:14 PM »
Those new Loscil tracks sound great, Dave. Thanks for posting the link. Can't wait for this to be released!

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #4465 on: November 17, 2014, 07:16:56 AM »
Ditto.    :)
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #4466 on: November 18, 2014, 09:24:25 AM »
I'm completely underwhelmed by the new Daniel Lanois CD.  It's like his other instrumental album Belladonna but more experimental and well, just plain weird in spots.  He can do much better than this.

Dave Michuda

• View Profile
    • Low Light Mixes
« Reply #4467 on: November 18, 2014, 05:17:53 PM »
Totally agree on the Lanois album.  Some interesting cuts but generally I'm not enthused with it.  My favorite Lanois release is the triple CD "Omni Series," very nice instrumentals in that collection.

darkenedsoul

• View Profile
    • Official Darkened Soul Website
« Reply #4468 on: November 19, 2014, 12:27:36 AM »
Some CRUSHING FUNERAL DOOM - Solemn They Await - Sanctuary in the Depths. Some claustrophobic heavy as hell doom! I am glad I checked them out on Bandcamp (I think that's where I picked it up). Fans of brutal funeral doom with gutteral vocals will be well pleased! Orchestral, guitar driven stuff. Looking forward to their next release.

And also check out HellLight (on Hypnotic Dirge Records) for some fabulous funeral doom from Brazil with great clean singing  and sick vocals (atmospheric/orchestral as well - well done!).

And of course the new Bloodbath with Nick holmes (Paradise Lost) on vocals for some sick old school swedish death metal! And also look into Vallenfyre (Splinters track crushes but video is cheesy IMHO) from Greg Macintosh (guitarist for Paradise Lost) which is wicked old school death metal. I hear Edge of Sanity (guitar tone and style) all over this and their first release. Good stuff if looking for something heavy with that tinge/style to it.

Mike

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #4469 on: November 19, 2014, 08:53:12 PM »
The Circular Ruins - Full Circle
A new APK release. Excellent music, spanning a range of styles. Anthony: My favorite track is the first; I love the way the echoed sounds synchronize.
Buy/Listen: https://dataobscura.bandcamp.com/album/full-circle

Robert Davies - What the Moon Reveals
I've never really given Robert Davies much attention, probably because I've never heard samples of his work in full. When Anthony uploaded this to Bandcamp a couple of weeks ago, the first few tracks really grabbed me. I've had a difficult time NOT listening to this ever since. I'm looking forward to exploring more of the Davies back-catalog.
Buy/Listen: https://dataobscura.bandcamp.com/album/what-the-moon-reveals

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #4470 on: November 20, 2014, 06:55:17 AM »
Many thanks for the comments, Chris. Great that you are enjoying them.

I find Robert's work to be quite addictive ... it is just so listenable and consistent in its mood and quality.
He's one of those artists where if you like one album you will probably like the rest of them.
You have been warned.  :)

I just put his recent Forgotten Harbors release up on Bandcamp.
And will add more things as time goes by.

www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #4471 on: November 20, 2014, 02:34:21 PM »
Two latest releases on the excellent psy chill label Ultimae:

Asura--Radio Universe
Circular--Moon Pool

The Asura has a nice space theme and feel.  Some nods to the 70s electronic era.  I hear some vangelis in there.  I like this Circular more though, which surprised me.  Very colorful and deep aquatic soundscapes here.

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #4472 on: November 20, 2014, 07:31:30 PM »

Christopher Willits :: Opening  -- played this quite a few times today. Very listenable.
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk

DeepR

• View Profile
« Reply #4473 on: November 21, 2014, 07:08:41 PM »

Is it just me or is The Eternal Expanse one of Roach' very finest pieces? It's sublime. I've been listening to it all day.

richardgurtler

• View Profile
    • My Discogs profile and shop
« Reply #4474 on: Yesterday at 07:46:03 AM »

Is it just me or is The Eternal Expanse one of Roach' very finest pieces? It's sublime. I've been listening to it all day.

Agree, the whole collection is absolutely impressive. Grant Mackay did great job with Mirage label, it's a pity it lasted for only 4 years.

Richard