Author Topic: Mini Synth Recommendation  (Read 5830 times)

Julio Di Benedetto

• Life is a privilege, not a right!
    • View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
Re: Mini Synth Recommendation
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2012, 03:37:01 PM »
How do iPad users find the audio quality....minijack?  How about voice count and general soft synth behavior on this platform.

modulator_esp

• the lost tribe of Em
    • View Profile
    • Modulator ESP
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2012, 03:10:44 AM »
The minijack has been fine for me, it's pretty good, but there are proper audio interfaces availble though if you need better quality

Voice count depends on the app, and it varies quite a lot

The iPad probably doesn't make much sense for someone who just wants to play a synth via MIDI, but it's great for someone who wants a self-contained sound maker with lots of cool synths many of which have interesting performance interfaces

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2012, 10:32:32 AM »
The iPad mini-jack has a headphone amp and although the quality is very usable - using the the digital out with a separate AD/DA converter improves the quality. You can go from an inexpensive Behringer USB audio interface to an RME Fireface UCX for quite a range of sound quality options. (For many options the "camera kit" is required to to get a USB jack for the iPad.)

The new iPhone5 jack will probably replace the current jack on the next iPad, which will throw a curve at the interfaces, but could lead to some good deals on the older ones next year.

Julio Di Benedetto

• Life is a privilege, not a right!
    • View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2012, 04:06:32 AM »
Thanks for the info Modulator & Scott.  I have seen a few of the cool synths for iPad and without being able to demo them was concerned they were more toys then serious instruments.  Not so!

modulator_esp

• the lost tribe of Em
    • View Profile
    • Modulator ESP
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2012, 05:10:33 PM »
Thanks for the info Modulator & Scott.  I have seen a few of the cool synths for iPad and without being able to demo them was concerned they were more toys then serious instruments.  Not so!

I think the iPad is a seriously fun toy, but then I think my Matrix 12 is too :)

modulator_esp

• the lost tribe of Em
    • View Profile
    • Modulator ESP
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2012, 08:16:47 AM »
I just bought a used OP-1  ;D

It's really fun and I'm really enjoying the sounds I can get out of it. On the surface it seems very minimal, but it can actually get quite deep  :)