Author Topic: What vinyl have you got locked away?  (Read 4351 times)

lemonstar

• View Profile
What vinyl have you got locked away?
« on: February 13, 2008, 07:57:35 PM »
Is it just me? I have a whole bunch of other 70's electronic music on vinyl hidden away (maybe a 1/3 of 600+ albums I guess - Krautrock and French electronic/jazz-rock) - I don't have a turntable anymore though.

I had an album by Ed Starink that I quite liked - (I thought it was his 1st album - Crystallin but found this link here that suggests it wasn't http://starink-world.net/content/) probably sounds dated now and I haven't heard it in ages (can't even remeber if I had it on vinyl or if it was a taped copy) - anyone remember this artist? 

A French violinist with an X in his name (Xavier?),

Eyeless Dreams (just found this - http://dueren.waldorfian.info/ - seems like you can download the tracks!) - very cold, glassy, metallic, Tangy krautrock

Baumann-Koek (not The Baumann) which I thought was great anyway.

Lots of Klaus Schultz, Ashra, Far East Family Band, Stomu Yamashta, Egg, Pinhas/Heldon, J-M Kajdan, Zed, Cluster, Roedelius,Moebius, Gunter Scheckert(!?), Rother, Neu, Benoit Widemann (Excellent Stress!! and album called 3 I think - I remember never being able to get hold of the mysterious 2nd (I think)) - loads more I can't remember without looking.

jblock

• View Profile
    • synthblock
Re: What vinyl have you got locked away?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 06:26:46 AM »
I still have a turntable, but it's in the attic. I have about 20 LPs stored away. Some might be worth some money (such as some sealed John Lennon solo albums and other radio promos) others were just nice gatefolds with booklets, such as King Crimson's Young Person's Guide. I'd actually just sell them if I got motivated. I also have a bunch of singles as well.
Jonathan Block
www.synthblock.com

jkn

• Global Moderator
  • cake or death? cake please.
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 09:40:12 AM »
Probably 700 vinyl in the basement... mix of mine and my wife's (although she purged about 100 out of her collection - I just can't "let go").

Mostly 80's era synthpop - Depeche Mode (huge collection), Erasure, Blancmange / industrial - Einsturzende, Test Dept, Foetus, Throbbing Gristle / mopey Cure Smiths stuff / Cabaret Voltaire, etc... 

And then there's a lot of Bowie, Roxy Music, type stuff... and then there's a few jazz albums tossed in.

My wife's a few years older than me so most of her collection is 70's - some great Kiss, Stones, Cheap Trick, etc...
John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 02:36:33 PM »
TDream, Van Morrison, early Pink Floyd, Soft machine, Brit folk rock, mainly 70s, and a lot of classical vinyl here.
I have a turntable, but have picked up digital verions of everything I liked from the vinyl.

www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

michael sandler

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 07:43:07 PM »
Just about every record the Cathedral Quartet ever made.

Mike S.

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008, 10:38:05 PM »
Is it just me? I have a whole bunch of other 70's electronic music on vinyl hidden away (maybe a 1/3 of 600+ albums I guess - Krautrock and French electronic/jazz-rock) - I don't have a turntable anymore though. . . .

Lots of Klaus Schultz, Ashra, Far East Family Band, Stomu Yamashta, Egg, Pinhas/Heldon, J-M Kajdan, Zed, Cluster, Roedelius,Moebius, Gunter Scheckert(!?), Rother, Neu, Benoit Widemann (Excellent Stress!! and album called 3 I think -

Sounds like we have similar collections. I use to have alot of that stuff, still have quite a few around 400 - 600 LPs plus a few singles and bootlegs. I use to have a lot more, close to a thousand or more LPs, but I sold most of it off when I started buying CDs in the mid-1980s.

Eyeless Dreams (just found this - http://dueren.waldorfian.info/ - seems like you can download the tracks!) - very cold, glassy, metallic, Tangy krautrock

Yes you can download it for free which is very nice of Wolfgang. I quite liked that album at the time. I think it still holds up for berlin school type stuff.

Baumann-Koek (not The Baumann) which I thought was great anyway.

You must have been a customer of Archie Paterson of Eurock. :D I always wanted to hear that album but I could never get my hands on a copy. It seemed to come and go before I could save up to get it.
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

drkappa

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2008, 02:54:30 PM »
It's mostly from the 1970s.  I was too poor in the early 80s completing a thesis to
buy many albums, then came CDs.

Lots of prog rock like Genesis, Yes, the Floyd, Barclay James Harvest, Marillion,
The Enid, Alan Parsons Project, ELP, Renaissance, Camel, and offshoots. 
Gordon Giltrap, Steve Hillage.

Jazz-rock experimental such as Brand X.

Spacey instrumental stuff like David Bedford.  Mike Oldfield.

Electronic: Vangelis, early TD and those luscious glossy albums by
Edgar Froese Aqua and Epsilon in Malaysian Pale.  Still play those
ambiences.

Some female singers like Melanie, Janis Ian.

I do have some 1960s vinyl too, such as the Beatles, and some 45s including
Telstar.

It's shame for those LPs to be collecting dust.  There are turntables that let
you convert your analogue discs to digital form.  I've been contemplating
getting one to relive some classic albums.  Some can edit out the scratches
too.  While some of the above music has dated, a lot still sounds great and
reassuringly familiar.  It does surprise me how well I can recall music that I've
not heard in a decade or two.

If you have been, ...

Malcolm Currie
   If you have been...

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2008, 03:09:18 PM »
Sounds like the rest of my collection, drkappa :)
I'm betting you are british.

I still really enjoy Telstar!
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2008, 05:36:24 PM »
Most of my stuff is from the 60's and 70's. Psychedelic bands like Quicksilver, Jefferson Airplane, 13th Floor Elevators, etc. I also have a lot of Cream, Traffic, Van Morrison, Hendrix, Soft Machine, Led Zeppellin, Dylan etc. In the 70's I got more into prog-rock stuff. ELP, Yes, Genesis and everything by Jade Warrior and a little jazz. Later in the 70's and early 80's started picking up some Eno, Steve Roach, Patrick O'Hearn , Kitaro and lots of new age. I VERY reluctantly made the switch to cd as lp's became harder to find.    Harry
Never regret money spent on old books, old dogs or old friends.

Brian Bieniowski

• View Profile
    • Quiet Sounds Podcast
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2008, 08:41:09 AM »
I don't have a super collection of vinyl, since I really started buying a lot of music around the time CDs were becoming the format of choice.  Still I have a good chunk and some of the fun ones are:

Zoviet France's "Gris" 10" with the roofing shingle packaging

The Zodiac's "Cosmic Sounds" LP, which is probably the grooviest record ever made, and I believe the first time a Moog ever appeared on an LP

Forrest Fang's "Migration"   8)

Several LP-only Church bootlegs from the days when you could buy them in record shops in NYC (they cracked down on all the shops during the hated Giuliani's years, and boots were never seen in the same quantities again)

My treasured Jewish joke-records from childhood: "You Don't Have to be Jewish" and "When You're In Love, the Whole World Is Jewish"  (Mostly parodies and joke songs by a cast of very talented Jewish actors and actresses—for example, "Secret Agent James Bondstein."  They're not as funny as I remember them.)  ;)
http://www.amazon.com/Jewish-Youre-Whole-World-Studio/dp/B0000032W1

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2008, 12:47:53 PM »
Forrest Fang's "Migration"   8)

Hey Brian, that and a buck will get you a cup of coffee, maybe.  You might be better off collecting baseball cards!;)

One of my best friends in college kept all of his vinyl in plastic bags.  It seemed kind of silly at the time, but over the years, it's turned out to be a pretty good idea.  I still have my Meet the Residents album on vinyl, as well as the Zoviet France chipboard LP double (Monomische) and the original 2 LP version of Richard Tinti/Ariel Kalma's "Osmose."  I also have a Church interview LP on Ryko from the late 80s that's sort of nice to have, even though I haven't played it that much.

Forrest