Author Topic: CLOVERFIELD!  (Read 2687 times)

Bill Binkelman

CLOVERFIELD!
« on: February 13, 2008, 09:06:44 PM »
I don't recall if anyone has mentioned seeing this. I took some comp-time (what we get instead of O/T) today and saw it on a long lunch hour in a theater with a great sound system.

WHOA! :o :o :o :o :o :o

Talk about an intense film. Whatever you do, if you DO have even an inkling of seeing this do NOT wait for it on DVD UNLESS your home set up includes a BIG screen and, more importantly, KILLER speakers esp. a subwoofer. When the monster plods around Manhattan, the seats in the theater literally shake. I hate to sound like a fanboy but it was awesome. OTOH, this is not some dumbass Godzilla wannabe. In fact, what it actually reminded me of a little bit was not Blair Witch Project (which some have said because of the hand held jittery camera use) but rather 28 Weeks later because both deal with a) a very bleak outlook and b) the utter failure of the military to comprehend what they are facing.

Anyway, it takes a lot to impress me with monster flicks. I thought The Host was over-rated and many others are laughable. But this....hell, the scenes of New York being torn apart are the most realistic CGI I've ever seen. I actually thought they were demolishing city blocks. And once the thing attacks (maybe 20 minutes or so into the film), it's like Aliens in that there is no let up whatsoever.

Whew...I definitely will see this a few more times on the big screen.

Wayne Higgins

• View Profile
    • Oenyaw
Re: CLOVERFIELD!
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 07:23:58 AM »
I'm actually scared of this one.  I have this problem with unstable movies, and after reading about the hand held camera views making some people sick, I'm waiting for the DVD.  There used to  be a show on TV called something like "Captain Future and the Soldiers of Tomorrow".  There were these robots with a breast plate that strobed.  I would go into near seizures, projectile vomiting when it came on.  Happened twice.  Hell, I have a rough time with the ending scene in "Chicago".  Woody Allen's "Husbands and Wives" gave me problems as well.

There's a reason narcolepsy rhymes with epilepsy.

I do want to see the movie, though.
So, I'm a "Sr Member", huh?  In June it's SENIOR DISCOUNT TIME!!!
http://oenyaw.net/
http://oenyaw.blogspot.com/

Hypnagogue

• Let's do music.
    • View Profile
    • Hypnagogue Reviews
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 10:29:02 AM »
Have to agree with Bill on this one. I geeked out and had to see it. Normally I hate going to the movies. I always feel like I've pretty much peed away my $8 and lost 2 hours. Not this time 'round, oh no.

Agreed that this HAS TO be seen on a big screen. Your TV's not going to do it justice. The whole point of this movie is to put you smack-dab in the middle of Hell, and it takes 20 feet of screen and an ass-kicking sound system to do it. When this thing gets going, it doesn't let up.

I loved that you don't get a big "here's the monster!" shot for the vasts majority of the movie. You get glimpses--glimpses like you'd get if you were in the middle of downtown Manhattan with smoke and dust and craziness all around you and this enormous thing is wending its way between buildings and you really, really don't feel like standing there trying to get a look. Especially not when jet fighters are slamming missles into it and it's a block and a half away.

I have to add, though, that digging into the viral marketing that was done around the movie fills out a lot of information that was not in the movie. There's no typical monster-movie moment where a scientist conveniently explains where this thing might have come from and how. This isn't a big lizard woken up by an atomic blast--but it IS awoken by something, and that something makes the very, very smallest of appearances very, very late in the movie, and unless you read the viral stuff--which I only did after the fact--it's not going to make an, ahem, splash with you.

I love that Abrams & Co. didn't go the easy-explanation route. Because if you were in this situation, you wouldn't know. You'd have nowhere to stop and get your convenient information from. You'd only get to know much later....if you survived.

See it, see it large, and try not to puke. Motion sickness is a definite threat. But damned if the flick isn't worth a little hurling. :-)
Hypnagogue Reviews
one listener's opinion on new music
hypnagoguereviews.wordpress.com
Hypnagogue Podcast
hypnagoguepodcast.wordpress.com

jdh

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 09:00:27 PM »
Agree with Bill on this,I just saw this film and the audio design is quite incredible and is a big part of the film.Yes,my seat was shaking.For me,the experience of 9-11(And I was in NYC that day) is what made it all the more disturbing.I was stunned leaving the movie,more so for the atmosphere it created than the plot,of which there is not much of.