Author Topic: Indiana Jones & the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull  (Read 9317 times)

lena

• Hypnos Manager/Life Manager
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • hypnos.com
Indiana Jones & the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
« on: February 14, 2008, 11:54:00 AM »

YAY, this looks so awesome! Seems like they're making an older Indiana Jones "work" by cracking on his age every so often, (while still having him do crazy stunts & kick much ass)!  ;D Hey, can anyone else believe that the first movie was made 27 years ago??!!! (Yeesh)...

You can check out the brand new trailer here:

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/indianajones.html?showVideo=1
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 11:55:40 AM by lena »
When I die, I'm leaving my body to science fiction.

darren bergstein

Re: Indiana Jones & the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 12:03:18 PM »
yeah, caught that trailer myself earlier today - get a helluva big kick out of it. surprisingly, not only does 'ol harrison look quite spry & agile, the effects & cinematic design look superb. i'm there.

judd stephens

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 01:59:50 PM »
Uh, oh, Doctor Jones, I've got a baaaad feeling about this movie....

Sorry to not be as thrilled, but just from this trailer, and of course that isn't enough to know, but I fear this is gonna be a little too silly for my liking.  You're right, Lena, this probably could work even given his age, but unlike the grittier Raiders of the Lost Ark, this one looks like a continuation of the one-liners and comedy that was in the 2 sequels.  Too much of George Lucas and CGI... sorry, that's just my impression as I really would like this to be cool- hope it is  8)

judd stephens

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 02:22:59 PM »
Let's put it this way, 'cause that last comment seemed like such a spirit-killer.  I read an article about the movie in a magazine recently, and they said this one, because it's set in the 50's, will have less of the 30's comic book tilt to it and more of a 50's sci-fi movie vibe, and I think that change is cool.  But the comparison to Raiders of the Lost Ark is in terms of the action-adventure aspect- it was tough, you really felt Indy's pain and he really looked vulnerable and in peril at times without seeming too cheesy.  He worked hard to fight off them Nazis in 'Raiders.  Like the part in this trailer where he lands in the truck and looks at the camera, spills the one-liner while the 2 soldiers stare at him, then he elbows them off the truck one at a time... I hope that's the only scene to be that retarded in the movie.  People are going to laugh now, but I think the latest Rambo trailer looked better than this, mainly because it stripped down the silliness from the sequels and was a bit truer to the original in the 'tone' of the movie.  I know a lot of people who did like the Star Wars prequels Lucas, you know, one-half of the directing team for this new movie, made after years removed, but they were sooo not the same! 

lena

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • hypnos.com
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 03:04:23 PM »
Hmmm, sounds like the reasons why I like these movies are the very same reasons you dislike them, (kind of cheesy & slapstick-y, silly one-liners, lots of over the top action-packed craziness, etc). I guess I never took the first movie to be a serious film, (not that I wish to in any way belittle Indy's pain)... ;)

« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 03:09:09 PM by lena »

judd stephens

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008, 03:15:11 PM »
Yeah, I wouldn't call the 1st one all that "slap-sticky", and it was a little more serious than the next 2, which were a departure in terms of tone to Raiders, at least I think so.  Was Raiders of the Lost Ark a heavy movie?  I wouldn't call it that; I like my original word choice, gritty  :P

lena

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • hypnos.com
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2008, 03:26:54 PM »
Ha ha! Well, I guess you're right, the sequels weren't exactly award winners, & this one most certainly won't be either. I think I'm just all- excited because they're a big part of my childhood, (ahem), my very, very YOUNG childhood, that is, (I don't even know how I could possibly remember them, since I was practically in DIAPERS at the time)...
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 03:28:55 PM by lena »

Bill Binkelman

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2008, 03:41:37 PM »
Yeah, I wouldn't call the 1st one all that "slap-sticky", and it was a little more serious than the next 2, which were a departure in terms of tone to Raiders, at least I think so.  Was Raiders of the Lost Ark a heavy movie?  I wouldn't call it that; I like my original word choice, gritty  :P

Judd, I completely with your take on Indy 1, 2 and 3. I really liked 1, hated 2 with a passion and thought 3 was so absurd and full of comedy that what was the point? God, how annoying was Kate Capshaw in 2 and Short Round, plus just so much stuff was so over the top. The only thing over the top in 1 was the ending, IMO.

Plus, no matter how young he may look, Ford is just wrong for this. Hell, I could barely handle him fist-fighting on a rooftop in The Fugitive. This is what killed the Bond franchise in the Moore days. He was way too old to believe for one second he could do any of the stuff that was in the film.

I don't mean to buzzkill the new film for you, Lena. It's cool you like the 2 and 3 chapter for the very things I hate. But honestly, I have zero interest in this. For cheesy fun, I'm looking forward to the next installment of the Hellboy franchise. Now that's my kind of brain dead material. 
http://www.hellboymovie.com/
;D

lena

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • hypnos.com
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2008, 04:15:23 PM »
Oh no, "Short Round", I forgot about him, (uggggggh).... :P  Short Round = Ewoks.

(Bill, your whole "Robot Commando" thing, it just KILLS me every time I look at it)!  ;D
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 04:18:28 PM by lena »

Bill Binkelman

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2008, 05:48:57 PM »
Oh no, "Short Round", I forgot about him, (uggggggh).... :P  Short Round = Ewoks.

(Bill, your whole "Robot Commando" thing, it just KILLS me every time I look at it)!  ;D

Lena,

I doubt you are old enough to know this, but Robot Commando was one of the COOLEST toys from the 60s and also one of the best toys I ever got as a kid (remember, I'm 53). Here is a link to the commercial for it (except the color is all screwed up. I think I have a better more accurate link on my work computer). It was NOT a purple robot. It was like my picture...red and blue.

lena

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • hypnos.com
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2008, 06:43:15 PM »
Oh wow, that was completely hilarious! (No offense, I'm sure it was a super-cool toy back then)! My oldest brother is your age, but I don't remember him having one of those, (I do remember some of the other toys I saw in those vintage commercials, though, like the Rock 'Em, Sock 'Em Robots). And since my husband isn't here to call me on my earlier statement, I guess I'll have to come clean & tell you that I wasn't exactly in diapers 27 years ago, (it was more like training-pants)...
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 06:51:23 PM by lena »

jkn

• Global Moderator
  • cake or death? cake please.
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2008, 05:16:59 AM »
Continuing the tangent... that commercial for Robot Commando was hilarious!   I love stuff like that.  As far as my toys went... I was born in '70 - so mid to later 70's is more my time for toys...    I still have the original 12 Star Wars figures.   Used to have the Death Star...   Also had the Guns of Navarone mountain - so it was often the Death Star vs. Navarone with a support from some matchbox cars and hot wheels...   uhhhhh ... back on topic...

On the Indy movie - we saw a preview for it last night and I went "oh that looks like it might actually be cool!" - and Heidi's reaction was blah.   But she's never really watched any of them.       
John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

Wayne Higgins

• View Profile
    • Oenyaw
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2008, 10:09:12 AM »
Indiana Jones & the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull   set in the 1950's.  hmmmm  I take it he's not fighting MacCarthyism or blacklisting.  He could be working with Eisenhower, fighting the industrial military complex.  Or how about the chrystal skull refering to the rise of television and his sidekicks are Milton Berle, Liberace and Lucille Ball.  Sorry, just off the top of my head.

Awaiting for the release, but not as much as my wife.

They could make the final fifth one in 10 years, Indiana Jones in the Rest Home of the Jedi. :D
So, I'm a "Sr Member", huh?  In June it's SENIOR DISCOUNT TIME!!!
http://oenyaw.net/
http://oenyaw.blogspot.com/

Bill Binkelman

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2008, 11:47:58 AM »
Indiana Jones & the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull   set in the 1950's.  hmmmm  I take it he's not fighting MacCarthyism or blacklisting.  He could be working with Eisenhower, fighting the industrial military complex.  Or how about the chrystal skull refering to the rise of television and his sidekicks are Milton Berle, Liberace and Lucille Ball.  Sorry, just off the top of my head.

They could make the final fifth one in 10 years, Indiana Jones in the Rest Home of the Jedi. :D

I LOL'd ;D

lena

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • hypnos.com
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2008, 12:58:37 PM »

Your wife sounds like a girl after my own heart!
(Oh, & maybe Han Solo wouldn't be so hot, but nursing home Yoda would STILL kick ass)...

9dragons

• The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2008, 09:00:34 PM »
My first thought upon seeing the preview was that I have to go see this alone because I don't want my wife to see the tears of bliss and morbid joy glimmering on my face in the theater darkness as my eight-year-old boy self comes flooding back to me with memories of my life changed forever back in '81 upon first view of Raiders of the Lost Ark. Seems to me that the wry humor existed in the first one, but was well balanced by the darkness and suffering aspect. No actor can display physical misery and beat-downedness like Harrison Ford. So hopefully the stupid jokey aspect won't take over, but I am prepared for it. As has been said above, when the balance tips in favor of silliness, the movie loses all sense of bearing and just goes stupid. Am very excited about hearing the music on the big screen, and just digging what will probably be tons of crazy and interesting effects (read that most of the effects will not be digital, in keeping with the older flicks, which intrigues me...)

Antdude

• I was told there would be no math
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2008, 01:43:21 PM »
Lena,

I doubt you are old enough to know this, but Robot Commando was one of the COOLEST toys from the 60s and also one of the best toys I ever got as a kid (remember, I'm 53). Here is a link to the commercial for it (except the color is all screwed up. I think I have a better more accurate link on my work computer). It was NOT a purple robot. It was like my picture...red and blue.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKMuvuERzFE

Robot Commando was all well and good, but my favorite was Major Matt Mason.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_Matt_Mason

During the late '60's when we were reaching for the Moon, Matt and his buddies, Sgt. Storm, Doug Davis, Jeff Long, Calisto and Capt. Lazer were all the rage.

My parents used to wake us up at 3AM so we could watch the live Apollo launches from Cape Kennedy. Major Matt and co. were all gathered round the set with me.  :)
There is no spoon. Which sucks because I have a pudding cup.

judd stephens

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2008, 08:50:54 PM »
So anybody care to comment on the movie?  I haven't seen it yet...

9dragons

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2008, 11:24:47 PM »
Saw it. Got a free ticket so I may be a bit bias toward liking it more...

Thought it was overall a great movie, solid action, and not the jokiness that I thought was going to ruin it. Completely opposite from the crappy Last Crusade in silliness factor. Perhaps it lagged or got a little one-track minded towards the end, which is the way with all the Indy movies, but maybe I was just tired. It was certainly a fantastic ending visually, just felt a little rushed compared to how much time was spent getting there. And the tacked-on ending scene was idiotic. I'd like to explain more but don't want to give spoilers. It just felt so feel-goody and incongruous with the implications of the previous scenes...

The kid is charming, though his acting is a little weak and kind of one-note-wonder...He almost seemed to play the same kid from the Transformers movie.
And the mumbling, insane bearded character was actually quite irritating...

But don't let me get in the way. I would actually like to see it again, just for how immersive and well designed it was. The light, the way it silhouetted the actors and gave a golden, old world glow, was fantastic. The more I think about it, the more I realize how fun, and visually beautiful in an old school way this was. Felt more like Harryhausen than some digital effects fest.

See it if you are on the fence...let yourself have some fun. When I saw it people were cheering crazily at every little nostalgic thing...quite funny.

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2008, 02:58:17 PM »
i thoroughly enjoyed this movie! it was funny but not silly. it had just enough slapstick to show that the director and producers did not take it too seriously and karen allen looked better than she did last time i saw her in a flick.
all the best and God bless
jim
www.rigelorionis.com