Author Topic: NEW - Entia Non - free EP and new Album  (Read 7947 times)

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
NEW - Entia Non - free EP and new Album
« on: February 15, 2008, 09:18:30 AM »
-----------------------------------------------
Yes, another fine release + EP from DataObscura
-----------------------------------------------

- Entia Non : Fold - new full-length album

- Entia Non : Remora - free EP download

Entia Non, from Australia, creates contemporary experimental ambient.
Shimmering glitchy samples over warm beds of quirky atmospheric drones and
pads. The music is rich with treated field recordings and samples. His releases
on U-cover, Resting Bell, and Test Tube were highly praised. This is complex
and crafted music that rewards close listening. Headphones recommended.

You can find the album HERE

You can find the free EP HERE

Or download the EP directly FROM HERE

Enjoy !

APK
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

Undershadow

Re: NEW - Entia Non - free EP and new Album
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 09:40:35 AM »
Interesting artist. Didn't realise you had him on your dataObscura roster, Anthony. Nice one :)

I have a review of his resting bell release, Sub routine, up here, for those interested:
Sub Routine Review

« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 06:50:06 PM by APK »

Undershadow

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 01:36:38 PM »
For those interested in following up, Entia Non has another freebie called Distal available on the test tube netlabel. And, what's more, this ‘ere test tube label seems to have some good stuff up there, at least going by the standard of the rather beguiling Small Airports ep I sampled by a couple of Canadian collaborators, Dave Zeal & Daniel Maze, that reminds variously of early Aphex Twin, Boards of Canada, 12k label, and Kompakt Pop Ambient with a fuzzed-out environmental aspect to its soundfield.

http://www.monocromatica.com/netlabel/releases/tube099.htm http://www.monocromatica.com/netlabel/releases/tube083.htm

« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 11:19:53 PM by Undershadow »

Antdude

• Punch and Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2008, 03:10:24 PM »
Damn!

More stuff to buy. Anthony, you're batting 1000 with these releases. I thank you but my wallet just wants to be friends.  ;D
I was just in my office and I heard a ruckus.

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2008, 04:13:07 PM »
Wow, I'm not usually a fan of the "glitch & random sound effects" thing, but these downloads sound very airy and refreshing. Nice stuff!  -thanks for the heads-up on these, guys.  :)

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2008, 05:07:00 PM »
Whoa- Surprisingly, I'm really loving this Entia Non stuff! Maybe it's partly because of the weather around here- it's been so gray and cold and grim lately that I'm feeling housebound and claustrophobic. This airy and glitchy stuff cuts right through it. Refreshing is the word.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 05:14:32 PM by Joe R »

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2008, 05:33:35 PM »
"Refreshing" is the perfect word for me too, Joe.
And if you don't have headphones on, put them on !  Phones open another realm of beauty in this stuff. It is very detailed and well composed.
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2008, 05:47:13 PM »
Damn!

More stuff to buy. Anthony, you're batting 1000 with these releases. I thank you but my wallet just wants to be friends.  ;D

:)  great to hear you are enjoying the latest crop of release.
Sorry about the wallet ... but I do try to keep the cost very reasonable, and the artist does get a cut.

Thanks for posting.
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2008, 06:14:15 PM »
Headphones applied, Anthony. And it's all pleasantly disorienting from this point of view. 8)

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2008, 06:33:29 AM »
I am having such a blast with these 3 free Entia Non downloads, that I simply must shout it from the rooftops! Wonderful & bizarre sound effects, field recordings, bits of conversation, all tied together with airy & spacious synths. Amazingly, it all sounds so natural together. Distal is my favorite, followed closely by Remora, but Sub Routine is no slouch either. This stuff cuts through the winter blahs in nothing flat! ...So breezy & playful. 8)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 06:39:01 AM by Joe R »

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2008, 06:37:33 AM »
And I believe he has a couple discs out on the U-Cover label I'll have to check out, and of course, the one on DataObscura...

Undershadow

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2008, 06:57:37 AM »
I’ve found the Entia Non stuff engaging too, Joe, though I prefer more conventionally musical stuff generally... or, at least, more harmonically-inclined, with the field recording matter more of a peripheral presence. Anyway, I agree it makes for a refreshing listen. Since you mentioned the U-cover releases, here’s a couple of extracts from a series of label profiles of that label I spent most of last year doing (if you know U-cover’s prodigious output, you’ll know I’m not exaggerating for humorous effect ::))

“[...]Behind the unwieldy Entia Non moniker lies Australian James McDougall, whose Zero comma zero is the most experimental recording of the series. Rather than “music”, much of it is nearer to sound design or even radio-drama concrète, McDougall making freeplay of polymorphous sources - samples, recorded media, shortwave radio, contact microphones, field recordings, vsti plug-ins, toy instruments, to name but several. His aim “to explore possibilities, to seek what is interesting in sound and to be free of any limitations” proves to be true, as what ensues is an eventful and detailed ambient soundswim, like bathing in waters in which various items float, not all of which you feel entirely comfy with. In fact the first track “Uncommodious” titularly trails its demeanour. “Buried under Tomes” is infused with a hefty charge of welcome harmonic matter though, and “Plein Air”, with its billows of cascading tuned air, could be a “dirtier” less minimal 12k, edging towards the semi-harmonized environmentalism of and/OAR. Teeming. [...]”
(from LABEL PROFILES: U-COVER: THE MINIDISC SERIES: http://www.ei-mag.com/profile0013.php)

“[...]Australian James McDougall is clearly something of a collector of sonic artefacts, and his Entia Non project is the outlet for them - collages of found sounds, tape reels and vinyl records manipulated into euphonic soundscapes. On Inter Alia, his mission—“to explore possibilities, to seek what is interesting in sound and to be free of any limitations”—is accomplished through the sculpting of fields of soundflow teeming with voices and noises off - a commingling of all manner of naturalia, rustle and whistle, crackle and hum, chime and blur. A welter of partly tuned audio a-writhe with unpitched material streams around the listener, reminding on occasions of the more abstract end of labels like Room40 and Spekk, on others of Mystery Sea’s night ocean drones. Inter Alia’s blend of fluttering electronics and pandora’s box of organic fragments results in a collection whose aleatory trajectory can never quite be predicted, and is all the more enjoyable for it. For the average u-cover lover, however, accustomed to at least some of the reassuring elements of conventional musicality - structure, harmony, melody, rhythm, such material is possibly unsettlingly minimal.[...]”
(from LABEL PROFILES: RECENT U-COVER CDR LIMITED ISSUES: http://www.ei-mag.com/profile0014.php)

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2008, 08:27:28 AM »
"...like bathing in waters in which various items float, not all of which you feel entirely comfy with." --Ha! Good line...

Cool that you mention Hakobune in that profile- his stuff is great!

Antdude

• Punch and Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2008, 11:42:46 AM »
This stuff is endlessly entertaining. Distal, in particular, is just magical. For those who may think ambient 'glitch' is not their cup of tea, give this a try. It really defies a simple label, but I can't stop listening to it.
I was just in my office and I heard a ruckus.

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2008, 03:28:32 PM »
Antdude-

You're right, I don't know what you'd call it... it's got elements of glitch for sure, though that's not the whole description. But it's irresistable, which may make it irresambient.

I agree- Distal is the best one.

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2008, 03:55:37 PM »
ALAN

You should re-post your nomenclature post to a new topic so we can have a separate discussion of it away from the Entia Non thread. Its a good one.
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2008, 03:58:52 PM »
Actually, I would call Distal the greatest music ever composed by a human mind, which makes it hyperbolambient.

Undershadow

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2008, 04:09:53 PM »
ALAN

You should re-post your nomenclature post to a new topic so we can have a separate discussion of it away from the Entia Non thread. Its a good one.

Will do, Anthony. New topic it is.

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2008, 06:32:38 AM »
I'm still loving this Entia Non stuff! I got Fold, from Anthony's DataObscura site, and it's as good as the others. It's more laid back than Distal, but still drenched in those random sound effects that give it that psychedelic feel... again, this is wonderful stuff, and everyone should give this a try. It's got the "Joe R" stamp of approval. :)

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2008, 02:39:01 PM »
Thanks, Joe.  Great to see this release being appreciated. It is remarkable, and different stuff.
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk