Author Topic: Favorite toys from when we were kids  (Read 18159 times)

Bill Binkelman

Favorite toys from when we were kids
« on: February 15, 2008, 02:04:38 PM »
Since at least two folks (Lena and JKN) have found my post over in the other thread entertaining, here are few more toys that I had as a kid that I thought were pretty cool, or in the nomenclature of '60s, "neato" (I wish I still had most of these). BTW, here is an entire site devoted to Baby Boomer toys:
http://www.timewarptoys.com/toptoys.htm

Here's the Hasbro Think-A-Tron (a legitimate punch card reader, actually, combined with a "quiz" game)

Next is a game called "Lie Detector"

I can't forget the "Give-A-Show" Slide Projector (we used to hang sheets on walls for screens)

The Remco "Fighting Lady" was such a cool toy boat. The missle on the stern fired as did the torpedoes.

Finally, the "Baracuda Sub"...didn't go in the water, but that see-through top was awesome.

I'd love to see others contribute to this thread...come on, don't be shy! :)

hdibrell

• View Profile
Re: Favorite toys from when we were kids
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 02:20:31 PM »
Ooh, ooh!  I remember most of those.  My all time favorite was the Mattel Fanner 50. My brothers and me must have had a half dozen of these over the years in the late 50's and early 60's.  .    Harry
Never regret money spent on old books, old dogs or old friends.

Wayne Higgins

• View Profile
    • Oenyaw
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 02:32:25 PM »
My wife still has this!  It's just not nearly as as good of shape.
So, I'm a "Sr Member", huh?  In June it's SENIOR DISCOUNT TIME!!!
http://oenyaw.net/
http://oenyaw.blogspot.com/

Wayne Higgins

• View Profile
    • Oenyaw
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 02:34:05 PM »
She says I never had any toys, or any fun, when I was a kid.
I actually had a few toys, but I read alot (which stopped after I got my degree!)
So, I'm a "Sr Member", huh?  In June it's SENIOR DISCOUNT TIME!!!
http://oenyaw.net/
http://oenyaw.blogspot.com/

jblock

• View Profile
    • synthblock
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008, 02:56:31 PM »
These were two of my favorites as a kid:

Jonathan Block
www.synthblock.com

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2008, 12:09:33 PM »
These were two of my favorites as a kid:

The GI Joe Mercury space ship was probably my favorite xmas present ever. Its actually one of the few xmas presents I still remember getting as a kid.

Here's another pic:

This probably shows how much of a geek I am  and its not really a toy but looking back I had a lot of fun with it and its obviously made an impact on my life greater then in probably should have:
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

Bill Binkelman

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2008, 05:17:06 PM »
Loren,

I think I recognize that cassette recorder. Isn't (or should I say wasn't) that a Craig? They had that distinctive "T" control, IIRC. A friend had one.

jblock

• View Profile
    • synthblock
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2008, 06:07:34 PM »
I had a Zenith cassette recorder that was wider than this one and it had a t-control.
Jonathan Block
www.synthblock.com

judd stephens

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2008, 07:00:30 PM »
Technically, this shouldn't count, because I  never owned this, but I remember this really funny thing on tv I used to imitate when I was a little kid.  Actually found the commercial: 

This is way funnier now!  I used to do the "hey good-lookin', we'll be back to pick you up later" bit...

Dave Michuda

• View Profile
    • Low Light Mixes
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2008, 07:48:15 PM »
Major Matt Mason!!!!  Woo Hoo!!

Being a science & space geek, I had a ton of Mattel's Major Matt Mason stuff.  I had this glider & I think it sort of worked.  I actually still have Major Matt himself.   Found him in my parents basement a few years ago & he's been living in my bedroom ever since.

lena

• Hypnos Manager/Life Manager
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • hypnos.com
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2008, 10:39:52 AM »
The most exciting video game EVER:
PONG!  ;D

When I die, I'm leaving my body to science fiction.

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2008, 12:19:38 PM »
Loren,

I think I recognize that cassette recorder. Isn't (or should I say wasn't) that a Craig? They had that distinctive "T" control, IIRC. A friend had one.

The one in the picture is a Philips machine but their were probably lots of copies. Mine looked just like it but I can't recall if it was a Philips or some other brand.
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

Bill Binkelman

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2008, 01:21:20 PM »
The most exciting video game EVER:
PONG!  ;D

Man,the quarters I plugged into THAT sucker back in my University of Wisconsin at Milwaukee days. Hoo boy...and then I was REALLY screwed when Breakout came along..

lena

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • hypnos.com
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2008, 01:29:49 PM »
We had the home version!

Hey Judd,

That Mr. Microphone commercial was so hilarious! I actually had one of those, & I remember the commercial as being really cool, (which it probably was at the time). I couldn't believe how completely ridiculous it was when I watched it just now! (Looks like some people who commented on it actually thought it was a joke)...

jkn

• Global Moderator
  • cake or death? cake please.
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2008, 02:08:37 PM »
We had a home console version of Pong - a couple later we got an Atari 2600...   Woo hoooo!

John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2008, 02:50:02 PM »
my favorite toy was a stuffed monkey named zippy. it was cooler than cool and i loved it. he had black pants, a yellow shirt and red suspenders. some versions of him have a banana in one hand and others do not.  (mine had no banana.)
this led to an absolutely hilarious Christmas when i was about 21 or 22. my little sister found a zippy at a flea market and wrapped it up for me one Christmas. i was extremely hung over - maybe even still a little drunk - when i opened it. i laughed until i cried (along with the rest of my family - only mary knew what was going on. our dog was going nuts trying to get at zippy. (i guess teddy (the dog) wanted to kill zippy.) it was very funny.
all the best and God bless
jim
www.rigelorionis.com

judd stephens

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2008, 10:35:48 PM »
We had the home version!

Hey Judd,

That Mr. Microphone commercial was so hilarious! I actually had one of those, & I remember the commercial as being really cool, (which it probably was at the time). I couldn't believe how completely ridiculous it was when I watched it just now! (Looks like some people who commented on it actually thought it was a joke)...

Yeah it kind of reminds me of some of those late 70's, early 80's faux SNL commercials (like John Belushi for chocolate doughnuts ;D) The situations just seem laughable even if there's no punchline.  If you do a youtube search for "Ronco commercials" you'll find more wacky products and gadgetry... Ronco always made unintentionally funny commercials.

lena

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • hypnos.com
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2008, 12:23:54 PM »
Oh yeah, I love all those crazy Ronco products, (except for the time I had a job which required me to spray their fake hair stuff onto the heads of strange men)....(yuuuuuck  :P)...

P.S. I ADORE John Belushi! Mike even took me on a John Belushi/Animal House tour of his college, (University of Oregon, where the movie was made), & showed me all the places John's scenes were shot!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 12:28:28 PM by lena »

Hypnagogue

• Let's do music.
    • View Profile
    • Hypnagogue Reviews
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2008, 02:29:59 PM »
Major Matt Mason had some serious adventures in my neighborhood, exploring planets on his jet sled. And I was all about that cool yellow visor you could open and close.

Another fave was a helicopter toy--had a central "base" with the chopper attached to it by an arm. Up, down, forward and back was all you got out of it...but then there was the hook that you could lift stuff with...oh, yes, I lifted stuff.
Hypnagogue Reviews
one listener's opinion on new music
hypnagoguereviews.wordpress.com
Hypnagogue Podcast
hypnagoguepodcast.wordpress.com

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2008, 11:38:09 PM »
Hey, I remember Lie Detector!  I tended to like the "low-tech" games, like Battleship, Life and Stratego.  I also had collection of Hot Wheels--too bad I don't know what happened to them.

Pong was fun, too.  When I bought a used Atari to use for music in the mid-90s, it came with a Pong disk, so I had to play it again, of course.

Forrest