Author Topic: Favorite toys from when we were kids  (Read 18308 times)

Wayne Higgins

• View Profile
    • Oenyaw
Re: Favorite toys from when we were kids
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2008, 08:32:49 AM »
I used to LOVE playing chess with my grandfather.  I could never beat him, but I would put myself in a stalemate position so many times that it aggravated him.  And me and my mom would play card games all the time.
I did have a set of Johnny Express trucks, but I eventually took them all apart to see what made them work.
I also had this thing that would make plastic forms out of molds on a hotplate.  After I burned myself a few times, I threw it away.  Now I'm sure that toy would go over great these days.
I was a wierd kid (as if I'm not a wierd adult, right?).  I would go to friends houses and just wonder.

So, if we're talking toys, we must mention christmas.  That day that makes christianity worthwhile in a capitalist society such as ours.  My parents (especially my dad) was way totally overboard at Christmas.  After I didn't get the bike I wanted Christmas morning 1963, and every other kid in the neighborhood got a bike, I kinda said f*ck it.  My grandfather saved the day (as usual).  He called to say merry christmas and I was crying and said that I didn't get the bike ("I've been good all year!") so he said that Santa brought the bike to his house by mistake.  He promptly went out and bought a bike that I travelled to Pensacola and picked up the following week.

It's sh*t like this that makes us who we are today.
So, I'm a "Sr Member", huh?  In June it's SENIOR DISCOUNT TIME!!!
http://oenyaw.net/
http://oenyaw.blogspot.com/

lena

• Hypnos Manager/Life Manager
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • hypnos.com
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2008, 11:13:25 AM »
I also had collection of Hot Wheels--too bad I don't know what happened to them.

Well, if you're like me, you moved out & your mom sold them in a yard sale for ten cents each...

When I die, I'm leaving my body to science fiction.

Wayne Higgins

• View Profile
    • Oenyaw
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2008, 12:12:20 PM »
When my dad died, he had an enormous collection of Hot Wheels and Matchbox cars.  Half of them I gave away to friends who had kids, and about 350 went to the Childrens Hospital in Gainesville.

I really couldn't deal with trying to sell all that crap.  Too much work.

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2008, 12:36:46 PM »
Pong was fun, too.  When I bought a used Atari to use for music in the mid-90s, it came with a Pong disk, so I had to play it again, of course.

My Kurzweil 2500SX has pong on its display, does that count as a favorite toy?  ;D

I remember Major Matt Mason, use to have a bunch of that stuff. Same with hot wheels.

Forrest I use to enjoy playing all those games as well, did you ever play Risk? I use to play a version of it I called Pacifist Risk.  :o

Take care.

- Loren Nerell

jkn

• Global Moderator
  • cake or death? cake please.
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2008, 01:06:35 PM »
When my dad died, he had an enormous collection of Hot Wheels and Matchbox cars.  Half of them I gave away to friends who had kids, and about 350 went to the Childrens Hospital in Gainesville.

I really couldn't deal with trying to sell all that crap.  Too much work.

That's a fantastic donation!
John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2008, 02:31:21 PM »
I also had collection of Hot Wheels--too bad I don't know what happened to them.

Well, if you're like me, you moved out & your mom sold them in a yard sale for ten cents each...

Yeah, That happened to me too. That's also what we did with our kid's stuff, as well. When I was growing up, we were a military family. We moved about every two or three years , so a lot of stuff either was given to charities, friends or thrown away. My nephew now has my Matchbox cars collection and Tonka toys and my youngest brother still has my baseball cards from the 50's and 60's that i gave him years ago.    Harry
Never regret money spent on old books, old dogs or old friends.

Antdude

• I was told there would be no math
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2008, 03:08:25 PM »

I also had this thing that would make plastic forms out of molds on a hotplate.  After I burned myself a few times, I threw it away.  Now I'm sure that toy would go over great these days.
I was a wierd kid (as if I'm not a wierd adult, right?).  I would go to friends houses and just wonder.

The Thingmaker!! That was a weird, wacky hotplate toy that made plastic bugs and monsters, from colored goop. Don't know how that thing could sell today, what with kids eating the raw goop and the hotplate being an unavoidable fire and burn hazard. Now that I think about it, I wonder how Mattel ever got that thing past the FDA....
There is no spoon. Which sucks because I have a pudding cup.

lena

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • hypnos.com
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2008, 03:58:08 PM »

The Thingmaker!! That was a weird, wacky hotplate toy that made plastic bugs and monsters, from colored goop. Don't know how that thing could sell today, what with kids eating the raw goop and the hotplate being an unavoidable fire and burn hazard. Now that I think about it, I wonder how Mattel ever got that thing past the FDA....

Yeah, I remember that, the chemically goop smelled just AWFUL,  my mom made us play with it on the porch, (with an extension cord going out the screen door)... ;D I also remember when they came out with EDIBLE Creepy Crawlers, and those things tasted TERRIBLE, although I did love the idea of eating "bugs", (long before the invention of gummy worms)...
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 03:59:45 PM by lena »

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2008, 06:51:44 PM »

Yeah, I remember that, the chemically goop smelled just AWFUL,  my mom made us play with it on the porch, (with an extension cord going out the screen door)... ;D I also remember when they came out with EDIBLE Creepy Crawlers, and those things tasted TERRIBLE, although I did love the idea of eating "bugs", (long before the invention of gummy worms)...

Believe it or not, they still make The Creepy Crawler Bugmaker (in China, of course). We bought it for our son 2 years ago. Perfecctly safe, as long as you're there to supervise... though I can't believe it's still on the market, what with the lawsuit-happy world we live in. It comes with a list of instructions and warnings about the length of your arm.

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2008, 07:08:41 PM »
[my youngest brother still has my baseball cards from the 50's and 60's that i gave him years ago.    Harry

Baseball cards! Oh yeah, I collected them for years, everyone in the neighborhood did. I literally had more than 5000 of 'em... some were collector's items that would be worth some nice bucks today. When I moved out on my own, I told my younger brother to take care of them for me. I found out later that he sold the rare ones off a little at a time, to buy beer.  >:( 

Bill Binkelman

« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2008, 07:45:27 PM »
As if the Creepy Crawler thing wasn't dangerous enough (by today's standards, that is), how about the Mattel Vac-U-Form? I had this and it wasn't even that cool a toy...in fact, it was kind of lame, not to mention a lot of work to get a decent end product. And the heating element to make the plastic sheets maleable got REALLY HOT and boy did it stink up the house! HOO BOY!

Good times....good times.  ;D

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2008, 11:07:47 PM »

Can't blame my mom for that one, though I wasn't too happy that she tossed my baseball card collection when I went to college.  Of course, whose mom didn't do that?

Forrest

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2008, 11:14:43 PM »

Forrest I use to enjoy playing all those games as well, did you ever play Risk? I use to play a version of it I called Pacifist Risk.  :o

Yeah, I remember Risk.  Wasn't too great at it, though I remember going after Katchatka and Irkutsk just because they had cool names.  Anyone want a piece of Siberia?;)  Anyone remember the game Concentration?  I think that was a TV show, too.  Another weird board game that popped out my memory was Careers, which I thought was more fun than Life (both of which were more fun than the real thing, unfortunately).

Forrest

Bill Binkelman

« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2008, 11:52:48 PM »

Forrest I use to enjoy playing all those games as well, did you ever play Risk? I use to play a version of it I called Pacifist Risk.  :o

Yeah, I remember Risk.  Wasn't too great at it, though I remember going after Katchatka and Irkutsk just because they had cool names.  Anyone want a piece of Siberia?;)  Anyone remember the game Concentration?  I think that was a TV show, too.  Another weird board game that popped out my memory was Careers, which I thought was more fun than Life (both of which were more fun than the real thing, unfortunately).

Forrest

Oh, I LOVED Careers.  :) I had forgotten about that one. I played Life too, but I agree that Careers was better. I also remember Concentration, mostly for the TV show, not the game. And yeah, I played Risk too, but I sucked at it. I never got the hang of how wide (or not) to spread my forces out. Is Careers even made any more? It really rocked as a board game, IIRC.

jkn

• Global Moderator
  • cake or death? cake please.
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2008, 07:17:43 AM »
Risk...  we'd have all night games...  that game could take forever.   There's a great Eddie Izzard comment on risk about sitting on Australia and piling up the units - but anyone foolish enough to try and hold Asia... 

I was born in 1970 - just to place me fairly squarely in the late 70's / early 80's timeframe for toys...   I already mentioned the Star Wars toys - I still have the original 12 action figures in a case. They're well played with so not worth anything, but I kept them.    Also kept a bunch of hot wheels and matchbox cars (maybe 30 of them) - tossed the totally trashed ones.   I let nieces and nephews play with those.   

Baseball cards - that was a fad in our neighborhood for a couple of years -and while I've never been a real sports fan - I do have the "collector" gene (or is it a defect?) in me so I had quite a few from like 1983 or 1984.    My older sister's boyfriend donated all of his to me - so I have those.    I had planned to give these to one or more of my nephews/nieces - but none of them got into collecting baseball cards so they're still sitting in my basement.   

Started collecting stamps in like 2nd grade or so - and did it off and on for a few years...  yeah - that collection is in the basement somewhere too.   ha.   

I think the video game / computer age was very prevelant for me and my neighbors...  every year or so someone on the block got the "new" thing (or the 'new' thing that was a couple years old and price had come down... ha.)    We had the Pong home console...  later we got the Atari 2600 ( I think we were the 2nd on the block to get that - and everyone ended up with one eventually...).    I later got a Tandy Color Computer 2 - which besides being able to write fantastic basic code and work with all of 8 colors (or was it 16?) - it played some neat games...  I was addicted to Dungeons of Daggorath and just about any text adventure game.    A neighbor also got the Coco2 and got baseball - we wasted a lot of time playing that. 

Someone got an Intellevision - then my cousin got an Intellevision - always good when more than one person had it so game borrowing could happen...

Someone had a Vic 20 - and later a Commodore 64.   Someone ended up with the bigger Atari 5200 I think... it wasn't that neat and we were starting to move on from video games by that point.

Of course - nice weather was all about outdoor games...  even though I was an indoor sort of bookworm type / happy to pound away on the piano - I still loved to play football and stuff in the neighborhood.

kick the can / capture the flag ... I especially remember this fondly when I was a bit younger and there was that slightly older wave of kids in the neighborhood that soon grew out of kids games... we had like 14 people for those games at that time.   A couple years later it was down to 6 to 8 of us so still fun... but getting fewer.   

I also remember building trails in the woods for our bikes... and walking the creek all the way down from the Optimist Club to the highway which was a few miles and areas where the creek got deep.    Biggest memory from that was being scared to death as we decided to climb up the hill out of the creek to walk a cornfield home and as we're climbing I realized there was a hole and the sun was shining into a cave or mine opening (lots of mines in the area) - holy cow... I moved fast to get to 'safer' ground. 

A quick bit of 'context' I guess... I grew up in a ton of under a 1,000 people in central Illinois.    We lived on 10th street which was the last street in town... so while we lived in town - I could see fields and woods.    :)

Also - with the Atari and CoCo2... both of those presents were things where I learned a bit of negotiation early in life.  I really wanted the Atari - so I propsed that it be for both Christmas and my birthday (which is in August) - and what's really cool of my parents is they actually held me to that... I didn't get anything but a token gift on my birthday those years.  :)    (yeah yeah - it's goofy).     I really did have good parents... I'm amazed they let me play 4 o'clock bars when I was 15...   anyway... rambling over.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 07:25:00 AM by jkn »
John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

Wayne Higgins

• View Profile
    • Oenyaw
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2008, 07:23:36 AM »
hdibrell wrote
Yeah, That happened to me too. That's also what we did with our kid's stuff, as well. When I was growing up, we were a military family. We moved about every two or three years , so a lot of stuff either was given to charities, friends or thrown away.

We weren't military, but we did move alot.  So alot of things just "disappeared."  The two things I wish I still had was a collection of all the NFL/AFL mini football helmets.  I got them for a quarter a piece out of gumball machines.  I had every team.  Also, this is what really hurts, every MAD magazine from 1964 to 1975.  OUCH!!!

So, back to my dad's death.  My sister and I had to go all through his things.  Seems like WE were getting rid of things for the moves while he kept EVERYTHING!  I even found a placemat from a restaurant he went to in 1954!  It was the begining of Oenyaw from a financial standpoint.  I came home after 2 months of selling junk and started selling my own things.  

Ever wonder if when you die, all those things you lost, all the dead animals, will be there waiting for you.  The truth is that what ever you have hidden deep in that secret drawer, someone is ging to find it!

jblock

• View Profile
    • synthblock
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2008, 08:58:01 AM »
I collected baseball cards when I was a kid, but sold them in my late teens to buy some music equipment. I should have held onto them as I would have gotten so much more money. I had some pretty valuable ones, like a Mickey Mantle rookie card and a bunch of tobacco cards (Christy Mathewson among others). Oh well. I've still got my GI Joes.
Jonathan Block
www.synthblock.com

Ben Fleury-Steiner

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2008, 10:23:23 AM »

lena

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • hypnos.com
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2008, 10:23:47 AM »

Can't blame my mom for that one, though I wasn't too happy that she tossed my baseball card collection when I went to college.  Of course, whose mom didn't do that?

Forrest

Exactly. You leave it behind, it's a fair sacrifice for the great yard sale gods! My old room is now my mom's sort of "all around" room, (den, sewing room, movie room, etc). Bye bye, Raggedy Ann & Andy, hello Fabio workout videos!

lena

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • hypnos.com
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2008, 10:26:00 AM »
The truth is that what ever you have hidden deep in that secret drawer, someone is going to find it!

Ummm, WHAT secret drawer? (ahem...I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about)...