Author Topic: Tell it like it is, James Ellroy  (Read 5882 times)

Joe R

• View Profile
Re: Tell it like it is, James Ellroy
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2011, 04:30:20 PM »
I truly don't understand the hatred and vitriol for Facebook. I certainly find some people's overuse of it a bit puzzling, but what harm does it do to you if you don't participate? Why mock it if you can instead choose simply to ignore it? What is the point of posting sarcastic and demeaning comments about a system that allows people to connect with others who, for whatever reason, they enjoy doing so? If it's mundane and vapid and banal, what difference does it it make to you if you aren't forced to read or participate? Just like this forum...god knows there is enough mental masturbation taking place here as well, to be honest.

Honestly...there are plenty of folks on Facebook that make me scratch my head and ask "Do they have a life?" but who the hell am I to judge them? Don't like Facebook..fine, leave it alone. I would say that 9/10 of the time I could dispense with it altogether, but just recently, Facebook enabled me to find out that a good friend and former co-worker of mine had to put his beloved dog to sleep so that when I saw him next in person I could give him a big hug and tell him how sorry I was. IMO, that's enough justification of a system that, by and large, may be nothing but a lot of "look at me" shit.

Sorry for the rant, but honestly...shit, there are more more important things to get worked up about, IMO...gas in the US is about to hit 4 bucks a gallon...fuck that, IMO.

No offense meant, by the way...but...oh what the hell...

??

The only person who expressed hatred and vitriol was the author who's message Mike posted. The rest of of us just made comments along the lines that there is too much empty blather on facebook. That's hardly "hatred and vitriol".

Bill Binkelman

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2011, 10:03:22 PM »
I truly don't understand the hatred and vitriol for Facebook. I certainly find some people's overuse of it a bit puzzling, but what harm does it do to you if you don't participate? Why mock it if you can instead choose simply to ignore it? What is the point of posting sarcastic and demeaning comments about a system that allows people to connect with others who, for whatever reason, they enjoy doing so? If it's mundane and vapid and banal, what difference does it it make to you if you aren't forced to read or participate? Just like this forum...god knows there is enough mental masturbation taking place here as well, to be honest.

Honestly...there are plenty of folks on Facebook that make me scratch my head and ask "Do they have a life?" but who the hell am I to judge them? Don't like Facebook..fine, leave it alone. I would say that 9/10 of the time I could dispense with it altogether, but just recently, Facebook enabled me to find out that a good friend and former co-worker of mine had to put his beloved dog to sleep so that when I saw him next in person I could give him a big hug and tell him how sorry I was. IMO, that's enough justification of a system that, by and large, may be nothing but a lot of "look at me" shit.

Sorry for the rant, but honestly...shit, there are more more important things to get worked up about, IMO...gas in the US is about to hit 4 bucks a gallon...fuck that, IMO.

No offense meant, by the way...but...oh what the hell...

??

The only person who expressed hatred and vitriol was the author who's message Mike posted. The rest of of us just made comments along the lines that there is too much empty blather on facebook. That's hardly "hatred and vitriol".

Maybe hatred and vitriol were over the top on my part, but read all the comments here in this thread and there is plenty of slagging off going on...which is fine. As I posted, I don't get it. It's (FB) innocuous because one doesn't have to participate. It's not pervasive. Sorry if my post was off-putting, but while I could cut and paste the specific comments in this thread I was addressing, I will just say that some comments to me smack of the same condescending attitude which creeps into conversations about ambient music here and elsewhere sometimes...the attitude that ambient music is special and above other forms of music...

I'm touchy about this, I admit it. I'm no huge proponent of FB but I use it as do some others on this forum...but whether it's just the author who was quoted or some of the other subtly snide comments afterwards...it just rubs me wrong. If FB makes some people happy and doesn't harm anyone, it's all cool with me.

Again, my apologies for offending you, Joe, as I seem to have done or anyone else. This is one of the one of the reasons that I drift in and out of here and elsewhere on the 'net, I guess. I still haven't learned to keep my (virtual) mouth shut.

Peace, out.
May the odds be ever in your favor.

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2011, 02:14:27 PM »
Hell Bill, I'm not offended, just puzzled. I guess I should have mentioned that I get on facebook occasionally, it's not ALL bad. I got caught up in criticizing aspects that I DON'T like, without mentioning the positives.

cromag

• Just slightly off-topic
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2011, 08:58:33 PM »
I'm on Facebook.  I log on once or twice a week -- almost exclusively to keep an eye on my kids.  ;)
Science News, Vol. 175, No. 9, April 25, 2009, page 1 -- "New mapping of the human genome shows none of us are normal."