Author Topic: The Ultimate Ambient Synth  (Read 4647 times)

Julio Di Benedetto

• Life is a privilege, not a right!
    • View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
The Ultimate Ambient Synth
« on: June 11, 2011, 05:34:37 PM »
Is there such a thing?  Can it be just one machine?  Maybe it is not electronics at all. perhaps it is........

This was a thread over at gearslutz http://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-electronic-music-production/481410-whats-ultimate-ambient-synth.html

I think I have it, dont you,  but then.......a perfect gear topic for the Ultimate Ambient Forum!

Paul Vnuk (Ma Ja Le)

• View Profile
    • Paul's Myspace
Re: The Ultimate Ambient Synth
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 07:37:57 PM »
Sorry Julio, but the gear slutz thread is pretty pointless. Any synth can be used for ambient music, can't it?

I guess I agree with you though, for each of us, the ultimate ambient synth should be the ones we already own and use.

Paul
"I liken good ambient to good poetry ... enjoyable, often powerful, and usually unpopular" APK

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 03:09:30 AM »
maybe this is it:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-13602686

500 instruments set up on a hill top to be played by the wind

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 04:19:25 AM »
Yes Paul....in many ways the thread is pointless, though I still find it interesting to see what others consider it to be such as a Field Recorder, FX rack unit or as Seren's post beautifully illustrates the possibilities.  I would have loved to walk on that hilltop amongst  those tune bamboo poles!   

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 07:40:44 AM »
I also don't think there is such a thing as the ultimate ambient synth/sound source.

But I agree, people will have their favourites and it can be interesting to hear what that is.

I tend to work with with complex setups of synths and effects where no one device stands out for long.
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 08:24:30 AM »
This is the Baschet Cristal as used by Film Composer Cliff Martinez, its not a synth but certainly up there as a contender

Heres a link to some audio/visuals

For my own work I would say my Martix 12 going through an eventide eclipse is my ultimate ambient combo......also Id have to add the Hartmann Neuron, I used to have the VS and it was definitely unique

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 11:41:07 AM »
This is the Baschet Cristal as used by Film Composer Cliff Martinez, its not a synth but certainly up there as a contender

Julio, if you like the sound of the Baschet crystal, you should also check out some of Robert Rutman's music (under his own name and under his group name, "Steel Cello Ensemble").  Rutman's steel sound sculptures have also been featured on some of the late Klaus Wiese's releases.

Forrest

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2011, 12:06:54 PM »
I'd love to spend a day playing around in Harry Bertoia's barn. 
Never regret money spent on old books, old dogs or old friends.

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2011, 12:15:00 PM »
I thought the Bachlet was great ... but that barn full of sound is totally remarkable !!!   8)
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2011, 08:44:31 PM »

Julio, if you like the sound of the Baschet crystal, you should also check out some of Robert Rutman's music (under his own name and under his group name, "Steel Cello Ensemble").  Rutman's steel sound sculptures have also been featured on some of the late Klaus Wiese's releases.

Forrest

Thanks for the suggestion Forest.....did a little reaserch into him but most things I came across were very avant garde group performances that did not show off the sound sculptures that much.  His website did have more but very short sound clips. Still worth pursuing, I will have to dig deeper

I do like the sound of the Baschet Cristal......its a sound I have tried to synthesizer...wavetables come sort of close but its still a far cry.

I'd love to spend a day playing around in Harry Bertoia's barn.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtZ3qmGBWEM

Cant say ive ever seen or heard anything quite like it.....towards then end of the video when a bunch of sculptures are in motion it becomes very interesting as the motion and sound begins to diminish and each piece becomes still, beautiful yet tense in a way.

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2011, 09:01:57 PM »
Julio, my favorite Rutman CD is probably his collaboration with Carsten Tiedemann of Mo Boma under the project name  "Spacebow," called Big Waves.  His Steel Cello Ensemble's Zuuhh!! Muttie Mum!! CD isn't bad, either.  I first heard him on an LP called "Bitter Suites," which I don't think has been reissued on CD.

Hdbrell, forgot all about Harry Bertoia.  He is probably better known for his Bertoia chairs, but I love his music, too.  I have his "Unfolding" and "Sounds" CDs, which are reissues of earlier LPs.  Who needs a great synth if you have a great acoustic sound source?  The Bertoia pieces remind me a bit of albums using the wind harp, but are much more complex and almost orchestral.  I've corresponded with his son Val, who seems like a nice guy.

Forrest

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2011, 03:45:03 PM »
Julio, my favorite Rutman CD is probably his collaboration with Carsten Tiedemann of Mo Boma under the project name  "Spacebow," called Big Waves.  His Steel Cello Ensemble's Zuuhh!! Muttie Mum!! CD isn't bad, either.  I first heard him on an LP called "Bitter Suites," which I don't think has been reissued on CD.

Hdbrell, forgot all about Harry Bertoia.  He is probably better known for his Bertoia chairs, but I love his music, too.  I have his "Unfolding" and "Sounds" CDs, which are reissues of earlier LPs.  Who needs a great synth if you have a great acoustic sound source?  The Bertoia pieces remind me a bit of albums using the wind harp, but are much more complex and almost orchestral.  I've corresponded with his son Val, who seems like a nice guy.

Forrest

Thanks again Forrest.... I will check out your recommendations.   I did not put the Harry Bertoia's Barn and as you say his better known chairs as the same person. Love it!

Where is this thread going...... we now have ambient chairs :)

SunDummy

• "Calm seas do not create good mariners."
    • View Profile
    • SunDummy.com
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2011, 04:36:48 PM »
I wish I was a Glowworm; a Glowworm's never glum. 'Cause how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?

www.sundummy.com

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2011, 04:29:27 AM »
That IS an ambient chair!

Back in my teens a friend lent me a double album called The Wind Harp
which had four seasons of recordings of a giant wind harp on a farm.
Apparently it was formative!

The Bertoia barn is spectacular!

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2011, 09:54:07 PM »
How about the instruments Chas Smith makes?

Not only does he make instruments but he also makes some very interesting ambient music.

As for the ultimate ambient synth, I don't think it exists. Otherwise we would probably all be using it exclusively.
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

darkenedsoul

• View Profile
    • Official Darkened Soul Website
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2011, 04:45:18 PM »
I thought the Bachlet was great ... but that barn full of sound is totally remarkable !!!   8)

Barn full of sound? Was that the clip of jesus being born in the hay with all the animals farting! Oh wait, that isn't really ambient  ;D but still CLASSIC for Robot Chicken haha. Couldn't resist, sorry to derail if I did!