Author Topic: News regarding Steve Roach Quiet Music  (Read 3539 times)

headonist

• trawling around
    • View Profile
News regarding Steve Roach Quiet Music
« on: June 20, 2011, 10:53:40 AM »
Taken from Roachs homepage:

June 19, 2011:  Quiet Music Original Three-Hour Edition coming soon! Along with the creation of two all-new releases for this Fall, Steve and Projekt are completing the re-release of the original three-hour edition of Quiet Music. First released as three one-hour cassettes in the mid-80's, Ceslestial Harmonies wanted to squeeze the 1999 re-release onto a double-CD, cutting nearly 45 minutes of music. Cut were side one of Quiet Music 1 and about 20 minutes from Quiet Music 3. Now that the publishing rights have reverted back to Steve, Projekt will re-release Quiet Music as a 3-CD Digipak with all the music in its original sequence. Look for it at iTunes soon, and a CD release later this Summer.

richardgurtler

• View Profile
    • My Discogs profile and shop
Re: News regarding Steve Roach Quiet Music
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 12:17:00 PM »
Thank you for the great news!!!

Richard

Paul Vnuk (Ma Ja Le)

• View Profile
    • Paul's Myspace
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 12:22:37 PM »
Nice!
"I liken good ambient to good poetry ... enjoyable, often powerful, and usually unpopular" APK

jim02

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 05:03:43 AM »
just noticed this!
is this the actual cover or not? feels a bit retro for nowadays but most probably intentional with this re-release :)

http://www.amazon.com/Quiet-Music-Original-3-Hour-Collection/dp/B0059YX84M/ref=sr_1_cc_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1310212639&sr=1-2-catcorr

richardgurtler

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 07:12:08 AM »
No other news on Projekt regarding the cover artwork, but it would be nice to use the original pictures from cassette editions. Can't wait for this 3 CD digipak beauty!!!

Richard

Bill Binkelman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2011, 07:49:04 AM »
just noticed this!
is this the actual cover or not? feels a bit retro for nowadays but most probably intentional with this re-release :)

http://www.amazon.com/Quiet-Music-Original-3-Hour-Collection/dp/B0059YX84M/ref=sr_1_cc_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1310212639&sr=1-2-catcorr

The original release of CD (at least the one I own) features the MIDDLE one of those three pictures. Color scheme of the rest of the cover is also identical to the original.
May the odds be ever in your favor.

jim02

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2011, 08:10:25 AM »
yes, these are the original cassette covers back that time.

not sure they used a higher resolution of these pictures on this cover, can't see that here.. would be nice though when some new pictures are added from that era.
as well as with the Dream Time Return 24-bits re-issue, they decided too keep the original artwork which is a good thing.

i look forward to get myself a copy of this hopefully late july.. definately one of Steve early milestones!

richardgurtler

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2011, 03:18:25 AM »
Here is the official announcement from Steve's website:

http://steveroach.com/store/store.php?item=462

A must have!!!

Richard

headonist

• trawling around
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2011, 07:44:58 PM »
The cover is not that bad!

richardgurtler

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2011, 09:40:24 AM »
Brand new updates from Steve Roach's website regarding "Quiet Music" and many other upcoming projects, including mid-summer sale:

http://steveroach.com/news/newsletter/newsletter.php?id=20110710000000

Looking forward to all of them!!!

Richard

jim02

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2011, 12:06:03 AM »
a small note;

'Quiet Music: The Original 3-Hour Collection' is up for ordering!
i ordered it along with the new Wollo (1st purchase on him)

i guess the packaging is similar to the Immersion III standard 3-CD digipack..
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 12:21:49 AM by jim02 »

jim02

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2011, 11:32:32 PM »
.. and yes, another Roach on the not too distant horizon (where darkness is rich & full of life) :)

http://www.projekt.com/projekt/product.asp?dept_id=&sku=PRO00266

as 'On this Planet' is by far my favorite Roach live CD till today, this one sounds quite thrilling to me.
hopefully a nice digipack as well.

dreamin4ever

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2011, 12:46:23 PM »
"On This Planet" is my favorite live Roach album. I was at the concert in Tucson. My second "Roach" live experience. And it was also my favorite concert of the dozen I've seen of Steve Roach. I'm still waiting word on Soundquest Fest II. Journey of One looks SICK! Cant wait to here Steve past live. Dig the album cover.
I placed my order of Quiet Music digipack over the weekend. Cant wait!

1000snakes

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2011, 08:26:25 PM »
This is exciting news. I was at this concert. Biff Johnson set the performance up through some Tower Records connections (He and I both worked there at the time). It took place at a high-end stereo store in front of a relatively small audience. I remember Steve saying it was like having a bunch of folks in the Timeroom watching him at work. Cool!

Poaalpina

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2011, 10:24:21 PM »
Another news from steveroach.com: Storm Surge: Live at NEARfest -- NEW EDITION COMING LATE 2011.
http://steveroach.com/Music/discography.php?albumID=360
Try before you buy but buy before we die.

Bill Binkelman

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2011, 03:04:23 PM »
Projekt was kind enough to send me a review copy of this (I've reviewed Steve's last 3-4 releases on that label, I think) and I am now listening to disc 1...and I have what may be a controversial opinion.

What with the nature sounds, the warm melodicism, the twinkling bell tones that comprise most of this first disc...I can think of more than a few new age music CDs that sound like this. Granted, Steve is operating in a more minimalist vein here than some of the more syrupy n.a. artists, but still...it's not a stretch by any means to call this first disc "classic" new age music. I know I am the resident (here and elsewhere) defender of new age music, and maybe disc 2 and 3 see Steve go in a decidedly different direction, but the warmth and "positivity" in this music (which I find immensely appealing and satisfying) makes me wonder if some "hard core" ambientphiles wouldn't enjoy some new age music that comes mighty close to this classic album.

Just my musings...not looking for anything approaching an argument. Feel free to disagree...but I KNOW there are some folks who are ambient fans who also LOATHE nature sounds set against music (it's one of their frequent bitches about the new age genre) and if you are one of them, avoid this CD (or at least disc 1) 'cause it has bird song and flowing water aplenty!

BTW, the CD (so far) is gorgeous...like taking a walk through a forest alongside a brook with sunlight peaking through the canopy of trees now and then...you can really float away with this music.
May the odds be ever in your favor.

Julio Di Benedetto

• Life is a privilege, not a right!
    • View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2011, 07:50:30 AM »
I tend to agree with you Bill...... currently Im listening to the 3 disc in rotation during Yoga practice. Yoga for me is more of a physical meditation than an exercise.  Quite Music is just right for it!

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2011, 10:09:06 AM »
I don't think having nature sounds, including water and birds, automatically makes something new age.  Alio Die uses both and his stuff is definitely not new age.  To me new age lacks a shadowy or darker edge and is often too melodic or cheerful.  Disc One of Quiet Music 3CD straddles the new age line pretty closely. 

jim02

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2011, 02:11:19 AM »
Journey of One is up now for pre-order on the Roach site and others.
though why they don't give us some mp3-medleys..?

i'll order it anyway as a big Roach-fan but somehow i got a feeling this 2CD will feature 2 alternate-versions of On This Planet.......
the amazon 30-secs. excerpts (http://www.amazon.com/Journey-of-One/dp/B005QND7E2/ref=sr_shvl_album_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1318497001&sr=301-1) don't say much either.

well, we'll see.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 02:13:37 AM by jim02 »