Author Topic: Emusic anyone?  (Read 1392 times)

jdh

• View Profile
Emusic anyone?
« on: June 26, 2011, 07:44:28 PM »
Has anyone used the mp3 site emusic? Just was browsing through it and the prices are unreal,one track can be 70 minutes and it can cost a few dollars or even cents. Including many titles sold here,such as alio die or Steve roach.it is not for me as I do not buy mp3s,only cd or flac files but still...just curious...

ffcal

• View Profile
Re: Emusic anyone?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 08:31:56 PM »
You might be thinking of a different website.  eMusic is subscription-based, and used to charge a monthly fee by number of downloads.  It changed this past year to a pricing structure that lists most single CD releases at 5.99 and 6.99 (towards a monthly dollar amount that does not carry over to the next month, unfortunately), with the occasional obscure release between 4 and 5 dollars.  I think only the EPs tend to be in the 2 dollar range.

Forrest

jdh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 09:02:36 PM »
That is the one,I understand it is subscription based .maybe it is the trial offer but I saw Steve roach immersion 4 for .49 or alio die tempus rei for .98 even a few forest titles at below $6, less than iTunes anyway.no matter to me as the audio quality is not lossless but still,$1 for roach compared to 13 or 14 for the cd.

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 09:16:00 PM »
I subscribe to emusic and I use it quite a bit. I usually buy releases from the artist or label, but I take chances on releases I don't know as well on emusic. I prefer regular cd or even cdr releases in most cases, but I find emusic to be a valuable tool for my listening habits.
Never regret money spent on old books, old dogs or old friends.

zzzone.net

• a numbers station ||| zzzone.net
    • View Profile
    • zzzone.net
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 04:12:51 PM »
That is the one,I understand it is subscription based .maybe it is the trial offer but I saw Steve roach immersion 4 for .49 or alio die tempus rei for .98 even a few forest titles at below $6, less than iTunes anyway.no matter to me as the audio quality is not lossless but still,$1 for roach compared to 13 or 14 for the cd.

I've subscribed to emusic in the past, and my collection dwarfs their's at least as far as electronic music goes.

Additionally, although I doubt I can hear the difference except with thundering bass on a great system, I can't get my head around MP3 files.  My recollection is that their's were 256 kbps.

CDs and lossless files, after all, do have a purpose.

Scott Raymond

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 04:27:42 PM »
I've been an Emusic subscriber for 9 years now, and though the subscription model has changed significantly in that time, it''s still worthwhile. I've been introduced to countless new artists because of Emusic. Basically, you pay a certain amount each month, and get a certain dollar amount each month in downloads. A basic plan is about $12/month, and you get that amount in downloads (since the average album is about $6, you average 2 albums/month that way). There are better plans where they give you a bonus, and then it's cheaper. If you get an annual plan, it can be closer to $4/album with the bonus. It's geared towards album based pricing at this point, though you can still download individual tracks. It's not lossless, but unless you're an audiophile, you're not likely to notice. JDH, I checked out both titles you mentioned and they're listed (at least in the US) at $5.99/each. seems a lot for a single track or two tracks, but still a good deal. It's not perfect, but it's very useful when you're on a budget.
Scott Raymond
WVKR-FM
16 Penn St.
Fishkill, NY 12524
newage@secretmusic.net

jdh

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 06:50:22 PM »
Thanks for the replies.I became a member for a month to try it,found many artists I have an interest in.Scott,I downloaded a few albums and have now in my I-Tunes and a copy to CD-R of those titles mentioned below,Steve Roach at .49 and Alio Die at .98.This may be only in Canada or only as a new subscriber but that is what my account was charged.To me,it seems like the charge is .49 per track-no matter the length,then more if a complete album, depending on the number of songs,the pricing seems all over the map.Audio quality on par or slightly below Itunes to my ears but I am still a CD or Flac person in any event.