Author Topic: Guy Birkin - Symmetry-Breaking - Release  (Read 940 times)

runningonair

• View Profile
    • Runningonair
Guy Birkin - Symmetry-Breaking - Release
« on: July 11, 2011, 02:38:19 AM »
This has been a great project to work on.  The unusual release format has certainly caused some difficulties but I can’t help feeling it’s really been worth while, as feedback from those that have already heard it has been very positive.

Here’s some info and I hope you enjoy the album.

Guy Birkin - Symmetry-Breaking

Label: Runningonair Music
Catalogue #: RM005
Release Date: 11/07/2011
Musical Style: Ambient, Micro-Sound, Noise
Format: Double CD-R (Ltd x 100) and DL (Disk 1 only)

http://www.runningonair.com/GB_SB.html

The Music:
Guy’s work first came to my attention about a year ago. I was immediately struck by the way in which Guy’s
work could both be seen as a pure sound experiment but also remain inherently musical.
Guy’s background in science contributes largely to his sound, using mathematical analysis and granular synthesis
to render his work from a combination of found sounds and instrumental sources. When it comes to the purely
musical, his choice of harmony focuses on the search for beauty but is often full of questions and ambiguity, the
sweet with hints of the bitter. The results are a collection of intriguing pieces and shifting soundscapes that
explore the full range of the audio spectrum.

The Release:
Due to the unusual way the work is realised, some of the pieces can never be rendered twice in exactly the same
way. In order to demonstrate this result, one hundred and one (101) versions of the album will be issued. On
this release, disc one is the general release, numbered V000 and limited to 100 physical copies. V000 will also be
made available as a download. Disc two is a one off unique special edition of the album, numbered V001 to
V100. Each of these versions has three tracks rendered specifically for that disc only and these tracks are not
available as a download. The two discs are combined as a double CD release.

The CD-R release is made using recycled card covers and quality “Aquaguard” matt finish CD-Rs.

runningonair

• View Profile
    • Runningonair
Re: Guy Birkin - Symmetry-Breaking - Release
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 05:23:07 AM »
Firstly thanks to all those who have bought a copy.  Interest has been good on this release.

Loop.cl have just completed an interview with Guy.  It provides an useful insight into his current research and helps to explain how “Symmetry-Breaking” has ended up being the unusual and interesting work it is.

http://www.loop.cl/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=761&Itemid=26

I‘ve also uploaded a couple of full tracks so that people can have a better listen.  One of them is free to download.

http://soundcloud.com/runningonair/sets/guy-birkin-symmetry-breaking

Enjoy.

mystified

• View Profile
    • Mystified Homepage
Re: Guy Birkin - Symmetry-Breaking - Release
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 06:54:24 AM »
Neat stuff.
Thomas Park
Mystified / Mister Vapor