Author Topic: The Broken Harbour Thread  (Read 3996 times)

| broken harbour |

• View Profile
    • official website
The Broken Harbour Thread
« on: August 29, 2011, 05:36:20 PM »
I've been lurking on here for a little bit, but I guess now it's time to officially introduce myself...

My name is Blake and I create music under the pseudonym Broken Harbour.  While originally a guitar player, I eventually grew tired with traditional guitarish things (metal/blues/rock/etc...) and decided to start recording ambient & drone music as Broken Harbour in 2008. 

Gramophone Transmissions - September 13 2011

September 13 will mark the release of Broken Harbour's second album, entitled 'Gramophone Transmissions'.  It's a bit of an odd album, firmly in ambient territory, but there are no synthesizers on it.  All the source material for the record was samples and loops derived from classical vinyl records, and choral, mellotron and piano recordings. This lends it a bit of a lo-fi character that I found really interesting, hopefully you do too. Michal Karcz (Steve Roach, Erik Wollo, Conjure One) created some incredibly cool artwork for the physical CD release, and is well worth the price of admission alone.  ;D 

The album is currently available as a pre-order ($9.99 digital, $12.99 CD) on my Bandcamp store: http://brokenharbour.bandcamp.com/

Broken Harbour - August 8 2009

This was the first Broken Harbour release, the self titled album was done in a more traditional ambient style.  It was released independently, and was fairly well received, and even garnered some airplay on a few ambient radio stations and podcasts, including the Hypnagogue Podcast. (Thanks John!)  Currently the CD is out of stock, pending a re-press, so in the meantime the digital release has been marked down to $0.99 for a limited time on my Bandcamp store.

If you'd like to hear samples I encourage all to visit any of the websites listed in my signature below.

Hopefully you like the music as much as I like creating it.  In October I will return to the studio and hopefully emerge in the spring with a few more albums of material.

mystified

• View Profile
    • Mystified Homepage
Re: Broken Harbour - Gramophone Transmissions & Other Releases
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 05:43:12 PM »
The previews are nice for the new album. Some good sounds.
Thomas Park
Mystified / Mister Vapor

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 05:58:22 PM »
Excellent graphics. 8)
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

| broken harbour |

• View Profile
    • official website
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 07:46:46 PM »
Excellent graphics. 8)

Thanks, Michal Karcz is a very, very gifted man.  I had this seemingly impossible vision for the artwork and he worked with me for over a year to create it!  I just wish more people were pre-ordering the actual CD instead of the digital album, because it's just so original and beautiful!  More people need to see it.

The previews are nice for the new album. Some good sounds.

Thanks as well, I sat on this album for quite a while because it sounds so different.

But I like it!   ;D  It must be heard!

| broken harbour |

• View Profile
    • official website
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 06:19:26 PM »
Gramophone Transmissions releases tomorrow!

Well.....sort of....

The first pressing of "Gramophone Transmissions" came in the mail today and there are color issues with some of the artwork.  Being that there is no way to get them reprinted by tomorrow for the release, the physical album has been delayed for a week or two.  The digital album will release tomorrow as planned, but if you're one of the few people who still likes CD's, then you'll have to wait until it's sorted out.  Apologies galore especially for those that have pre-orders that are supposed to go out tomorrow.   If you do decide to order the CD version of the album now, you will get an immediate download of it, and the CD will ship once ready.  Again apologies are in order and thank you for being patient.  And thanks for all the pre-orders! I got a shockingly high amount!

Scott Raymond

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2011, 11:05:40 AM »
I picked up the first Broken Harbour from Bandcamp and like it a lot. Looking forward to hearing the new album!

Scott Raymond
WVKR-FM
16 Penn St.
Fishkill, NY 12524
newage@secretmusic.net

| broken harbour |

• View Profile
    • official website
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2011, 05:13:16 PM »
I picked up the first Broken Harbour from Bandcamp and like it a lot. Looking forward to hearing the new album!

Thanks Scott!  Feel free to play it on the show.  ;D

| broken harbour |

• View Profile
    • official website
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2011, 05:32:31 PM »
The artwork issues have been (mostly) resolved and CD's are shipping monday.  Thank you for your patience while I sorted this out!

| broken harbour |

• View Profile
    • official website
Re: The Broken Harbour Thread
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2011, 08:17:39 PM »
Brutal Resonance Review:
http://www.brutalresonance.com/viewreview.php?id=1272

Thank you for all the orders, quite a few of you on this forum have bought my music.

| broken harbour |

• View Profile
    • official website
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2013, 08:30:09 AM »
Just a quick bump to let people know that I'm down to just 2 copies of my self titled debut album:
http://brokenharbour.bandcamp.com/album/broken-harbour

I am not planning a repress, so once the physical albums are gone, they're gone.

| broken harbour |

• View Profile
    • official website
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2013, 08:11:46 AM »
Just a quick bump to let people know that I'm down to just 2 copies of my self titled debut album:
http://brokenharbour.bandcamp.com/album/broken-harbour

I am not planning a repress, so once the physical albums are gone, they're gone.

....and now it's sold out.  Thanks everyone!  ;D

| broken harbour |

• View Profile
    • official website
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2013, 02:42:16 PM »
Attention, European listeners!

Databloem has just been restocked with copies of all Broken Harbour releases, including the last 5 copies of the self titled 1st album. Yes I know in January I said I only had 2 left, funny story... the post office in the Netherlands rejected my original restock parcel for Databloem, and then it took 8 months to come back to me, I had assumed the parcel was lost and unrecoverable, so I told everybody I only had the 2 left. 

The Danish Post Office's idiocy works in your favor!  As stated before, there is no physical repress planned, get it while it's still available!

| broken harbour |

• View Profile
    • official website
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2014, 09:49:41 PM »
I was featured on today's Ambient Online podcast, you can hear my interview, as well as 2 new tunes!

We talked about my musical history, side projects, my creative process and the future of Broken Harbour.