Author Topic: New PC build  (Read 2208 times)

darkenedsoul

• View Profile
    • Official Darkened Soul Website
New PC build
« on: March 04, 2008, 06:48:16 PM »
I thought I had a thread here....oh well, if so, move to it please!

I am building a replacement for my main PC which is on 24x7. The specs are below. Cost ~$1450

Thermaltake Armor full tower
Thermaltake Toughpower 600W PSU (cable management which I like)
ABit IP35 Pro mobo
E8400 3.0Ghz Penryn CPU
Zalman 9500 HFS/cooler
2x640Gb SATA II HD's
XFX 8800GT 512Mb Extreme video card
Samsung SATA Optical DVD burner
2Gb DDR2-800 memory

I don't know if I'll be overclocking this one yet seeing it'll be on 24x7. I may do it a smidge (10% maybe ;-)

My DAW/Game system is:
Thermaltake Armor case
Thermaltake Toughpower 700W PSU (cable management which I like)
E6850 Conroe 3.0Ghz CPU OC'd to 3.6Ghz
4Gb (1024x4) Corsair Dominator memory
XFX 8800GTS 640Mb Extreme video card
Zalman 9700 NT HFS/Cooler
Samsung optical SATA DVD burner
2x500Gb SATA II HD's RAID 0 (for performance)
1x500Gb SATA II HD for audio/game installs
This one cost me ~$1900 back in october but had ~$120 in rebates. I have one/two for new build. Prices now would have saved me probably ~$200 or more due to price drops on stuff. I was going to go for the Q9450 Quad Penryn but decided not to seeing a) not many programs take advantage of multicore CPUs still and b) I read it only had an 8x multiplier vs 9x which limits how far you can crank it up to. I've read people have gotten the E8400 to 4.0Ghz on air cooling. I don't plan on going that high! I have learned that it's better to overclock with only 2 sticks of memory vs 4 as things get a bit trickier when you have 4 sticks. So 2x2Gb is easier to OC than 4x1Gb sticks as an FYI. Also a lot of good info in the www.anandtech.com forum on overclocking and builds in general. Same for www.eggxpert.com forums.

I should be running the new system this weekend as the rest of the parts are due in thursday! So I know what I'm doing saturday during the day. Installing the hardware then XP Pro SP2 and partitioning it to maybe put Vista 32 bit ultimate on it when I get it from MS from doing a survey on my other new system.

Mike

darkenedsoul

• View Profile
Re: New PC build
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 06:56:22 AM »
All parts are in as of yesterday! So now I may start on putting it together tonight and see if everything fires up ok. Depends on mobo layout w/regards to wiring from case. It'll be up tomorrow at the latest barring any failed components. Fingers crossed! For memory I went with Crucial Ballistix Tracer this time. I have Corsair Dominator in the other new system (4Gb).

darkenedsoul

• View Profile
Re: New PC build
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 05:04:49 AM »
Well it's up and running. I had to take the locking tab bracket out to get the video card to seat properly and be able to be locked down. Currently overclocked to 3.330Ghz and will be replacing the stock cooler with the Zalman now that I figure out it latches to the base vs screws in like the 9700 NT did. So clean CPU top, re-apply the grease, seat cooler and latch it down and put it all back together again and see how the temps are at that point. Overclocking temps are pretty good (less than 60c under load compared to high 60's on the E6850 system).

So far I am quite happy with it.