Author Topic: Why do Artist list the instruments used on a CD?  (Read 5386 times)

sraymar

• View Profile
    • Steve Raymar
Re: Why do Artist list the instruments used on a CD?
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2011, 03:56:31 PM »
Perhaps I should've added a third catagory - the non-musician who will become a future musician (weren't we all non-musicians at one time or did some of us pop out of the womb playing something?), or a musician that takes up more instruments in the future they didn't quite picture doing so at the onset, quite possibly due to liner notes or articles in mags and on the internet. Either type is still a musician. Non-musicians tend to stay that way for the most part(or wind up reviewing music  ;D)
Ambient isn't just for technicians!

The artist isn't a special kind of man, but every man is a special kind of artist.

Don't be afraid to grow, give yourself a chance.

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2011, 01:17:24 AM »
Interesting thread,

Personally I like to see equipment lists, but am a bit perplexed if its listings of loads of synths I know nothing about (not being very knowledgeable in this area). If an ambient album was made using bagpipes I'd be interested to know that - who wouldn't be ?

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2011, 02:25:42 AM »
I don't have access to computer/internet where I listen to music - so not able to check things out while listening...and rarely seem to have the time to explore things like that when not listening....oh the difficulties of modern living.... ;D

Julio Di Benedetto

• Life is a privilege, not a right!
    • View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2011, 04:36:41 AM »
Totally agree with APK and Mike here...well, not a surprise since i was the complainer mentioned in the starting post  ;D

Tomas, that was you......In my mind the mysterious forum member was a non musician Fan, makes sense though as we are discovering that non musician fans seem to have nothing to say either way.

El culto

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2011, 05:37:34 AM »
Julio, i thought you was refer to this:

http://www.hypnos.com/smf/index.php?topic=3565.msg27574#msg27574

Cheers,
Tomas

jkn

• Global Moderator
  • cake or death? cake please.
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2011, 06:00:38 AM »
as a non-musician listener - I'd like to say - I still like liner notes.  :-)

John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2011, 01:56:08 PM »
Julio, i thought you was refer to this:

http://www.hypnos.com/smf/index.php?topic=3565.msg27574#msg27574

Cheers,
Tomas

Yes Tomas thats what I was making reference to.......funny that the El Culto name did not stay with my memory and I was to lazy to go find the link in my original post so thanks.

Now that everything is clear shall we start over again. ;)

Antdude

• I was told there would be no math
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2011, 02:31:48 PM »
I always enjoyed liner notes as well. I'm one of those who would ask, especially in the '70's, "How did they do that?" When a new Wendy Carlos album came out, I would have killed for more details on how the big Moog 3 modular synthesizers were used. There are many artists today, like Aphex Twin, or Sleep Research Facility, who give no hint as to their instrumentation, other than, 'some very powerful software.' That just piques my interest more. Details, man!

Jan Hammer released an album called 'The First Seven Days' in '76, I believe, and while it listed the instruments used, there was also the disclaimer, 'For those concerned: there is no guitar on this album.' Interesting that he wanted to emphasize that point.
There is no spoon. Which sucks because I have a pudding cup.

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2011, 04:06:10 PM »
Antdude...nice post.   

I may have been a littler dude than you (about 10yrs old) when I first looked at the Switch on Bach cover and listen in astonishment at the sounds coming from the Hi Fi...can one be astonished at that age.
sraymar is right in his third category....the non musician who will become a future musician.

I feel the same way about Aphex Twin and his handmade/modified instruments....what were/are they?

Everyone here knows the the wonderful music from Saul Stokes and most should know of his hand built modular....its an amazing symbiosis of man and machine, wow where did that come from, the wine is particularly good tonight.  Theres plenty of information regard his unique instrument, no mysterious vapors clouding the facts.

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2011, 04:13:35 PM »
Jan Hammer released an album called 'The First Seven Days' in '76, I believe, and while it listed the instruments used, there was also the disclaimer, 'For those concerned: there is no guitar on this album.' Interesting that he wanted to emphasize that point.

Larry Fast (Synergy) had a similar statement about there being no guitars on his albums, IIRC.  A liner note on the first Synergy album crediting a galvanized skin response voltage controller has stuck in my mind.  Don't know why, but your comment reminds me of a tongue-in-check credit on an an early 80s punk album:  "Not Produced by Brian Eno."

Forrest

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2011, 04:23:26 PM »
Don't know why, but your comment reminds me of a tongue-in-check credit on an an early 80s punk album:  "Not Produced by Brian Eno."

Forrest

Thanks for that Forrest...Im going to be smiling all night.  :) +++