Author Topic: The Necks  (Read 2281 times)

Ben Fleury-Steiner

• View Profile
The Necks
« on: March 05, 2008, 03:14:19 PM »
A recent post made me want to create a separate thread on these geniuses...

Any fans of The Necks here?

Man, I love how effortlessly they combine minimalist jazz with deep atmospherics--the recent stuff like Chemist brings in some wonderful electronics along w/ the tighter than tight piano-drums-bass...totally hypnotic and addictive stuff...

I would say any fan of minimalist ambient music intrigued by jazz should definitely swallow up (pun intended) as many discs by The Necks as possible  ;)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 07:39:42 AM by Ben Fleury-Steiner »

Dave Michuda

• View Profile
    • Low Light Mixes
Re: The Necks
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 07:28:27 AM »
Ben,

I love the Necks.  I think Chemist was my first introduction and I worked back from there.  All of the catalog is worthwhile, each in it's own way.

Your description of the music as "hypnotic" is perfect.  The repetitive nature of the music can really put you in a zone.  I've heard some extended clips from "Townsville", a live album released late last year & while it's good it didn't do enough for me to buy it.

I haven't listened in a while so I 'll have to pull some out & give it another spin.  I think I'll start with Chemist then try Drive By, Aether, Hanging Gardens, and more.

uhurit

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 07:28:49 AM »
Yeah,

I just became one. And it's totally out of character for me, because I listen to drift/drone and Indian classical most of the time. Been buying their stuff left and right..."Hanging Gardens" is truly great

Undershadow

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 12:07:01 AM »
Any fans of The Necks here? [...]

I'm not a fan as such, but I do like their music, and have Hanging Gardens, Chemist, Aether, and Townsville.

[...] I would say any fan of minimalist ambient music intrigued by jazz should definitely swallow up (pun intended) as many discs by The Necks as possible  ;)

I'm a fan of minimalist ambient music, but I don't do jazz - except for a handful of things in the vein of, say, Keith Jarrett's Köln Concert and Miles Davis's In a Silent Way. I guess whatever elements of jazz The Necks patch into are not the major ones that deter me from jazz (n.b. possibly salient here is the fact that I like piano, but I generally have issues with saxophone, trumpet, and suchlike things that er... blow - unless they're rendered into altered states and don't blow too much ;)).