Author Topic: Forum Inactivity  (Read 284 times)

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
Forum Inactivity
« on: July 20, 2016, 06:35:24 AM »
Six days since the last post hereabouts - has there been a longer period of inactivity recently ?

Julio - to the Modular ! :)

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
Re: Forum Inactivity
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2016, 03:34:45 PM »
Can't think of one, but I think even more telling is the Hypnos release part of the forum has had nothing posted in it for 8 months now.  With the label inactive for unknown period of time its understandable that the rest of the forum that is built around it should suffer as well.
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2016, 08:19:35 PM »
Six days since the last post hereabouts - has there been a longer period of inactivity recently ?

Julio - to the Modular ! :)

I noticed it is really very quiet....Ive been posting more on the currently playing thread than I usually do to keep things moving a Little but with the absences of drone on and third system that thread has lost a certain dynamics, though Chris still keeps the touch lit.

I think the most activity of late has been between us gearheadz and we are just a handful here and what we talk about is likely of no interest to most.

Have to say Pete I do really miss posting patches on the Modular Musings thread now that Ive gone all serious and working on a studio project....but think for a moment, where could I have be able to do such a thing....a live musical blog with an immediate audience for the curious souls.  Only here. 

Ive heard it said that the hay day of the forum has long gone and I wonder if those times coincided with the Hypnos labels peak release schedule.

Im often concern that this forum is not frequented by more, by more visible people....perhaps this reflects the state of ambient music as a whole.

Where is the ambient music audience today?

"Life is one big road, with lots of signs, so when you ride to the Roots, do not complicate your mind, ... "  Bob Marley

http://digitalvoices.bandcamp.com/
http://databloem.com

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 04:15:35 AM »
Julio,

It appears to me that the 'scene' is not what it was. I think lots of people are still listening to ambient, but it's become more 'underground', in the sense that people are listening but not seeking out forums and reviews (to a lesser extent).
Maybe there's more conversations on the social media sites -I can't really comment as I don't use them. Forums seems to be still going strong mind, judging by the couple of techy music forums I frequent.

Loren's point is a good one, it's a testament to the long frequent contributors here that the forum is still going at all - considering Hypnos as a label appears to be on a permanent hold.

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2016, 08:27:04 PM »
Yeah I have very little to do with social media....this is it, me being social, though it is sort of lonely here sometimes :'( ;D

Perhaps blogging has taken over as a format from forums as people no long choice to interact and just want leads and commentary to good music.

I cant say whats going on with the Hypnos label but the prolonged silence is odd.  Things change and Mike Griffin's energy's maybe elsewhere.  I do feel that the forum was the backbone of the label....as I remember most of the musicians on the Hypnos label were very active on the forum interacting with music fans and just generally being out there.  It was exciting.

This place still gets people passing through it albeit very quietly.
"Life is one big road, with lots of signs, so when you ride to the Roots, do not complicate your mind, ... "  Bob Marley

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2016, 08:19:08 AM »
As others have noted, I think the label inactivity is a big source of the problem. There isn't much happening at Hypnos per se, and, as a result, there is nothing driving new people to the forums.

But another issue that is easy to overlook is that there are numerous places for people to chat and learn about ambient music these days. The forums were a good mechanism for internet communities in the "old" days, but I think Facebook and similar outlets changed that. Ambient is alive and well, but people have multiple channels to communicate, learn, and exchange ideas. For example, I get most of my listening leads from Bandcamp these days--simply following people with similar interests and checking out the things they are buying. And I assume artists have less incentive to interact with the community on forums when they can update their Facebook pages with studio pics, new releases, and have immediate interactions with people who are seeking out their music in the first place.

I like the group here. But I do wish it was more active. People seem to fade away as they get busy with their lives. And, perhaps because it is an easy forum for exchanging ideas, people also tend to piss each other off and become reluctant to come back. Some people seem quick to offend, and others seem quick to take offense.

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2016, 10:48:01 AM »
I still enjoy the tech talk and the album discussions. I haven't landed anywhere else that has held me, but you can hear the wind blow through here sometimes. Very ambient...

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2016, 04:04:21 AM »
I haven't landed anywhere else that has held me, but you can hear the wind blow through here sometimes. Very ambient...

:)

Chris.....thats a great post you made with lots to think about.

I was trying to access Richard Gurtlers facebook page but was denied (have to sign up) to see what a serious ambient music aficionado presence looks like, ultimately that is Richards place but what we are talking about is what it means to be part of an interactive community and its possible future.

If for example my modular musings thread had not had a fair amount of traffic passing through...would I have continued, performing to and empty venue so to speak, perhaps not, but it was the opposite....2783 views and counting, in a six month period.

Perhaps there is a natural ebb and flow...just seems like the tides been going out for a long time.

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2016, 09:50:56 AM »
Over the years, this forum has had its periods of inactivity.  I know Mike has been busy because his first book was published this year and he has been promoting that and probably has less time to spend on the label.  I haven't been here much lately, partially because I've been busy working on another album and partially because I've been trying to be less tied to my computer this summer.  Facebook can also be a time sink, but I've found it very useful for finding out recent developments in the ambient music scene and other related things.

Forrest

stargazer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2016, 04:01:35 AM »
Hi Pete, hope you are well and happy.

I watch Hypnos forum since 2014 and find it more or less active. Also it has a pool of active members and this pool of people makes the forum.
Since Hypnos label seems inactive, the themes are "limited" to other ambient related themes.

We have summer and it is quite hot (at least here in Germany). This might be also a reason.

Greetings
Jana

"There are the unbiased and fleeting moments in music, which are eternal and imperishable."

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2016, 07:23:53 AM »
Hi Jana, I'm fine thanks. Rather behind my own schedule regarding the projects I'm working on, though.

It seems that people have moved on to a degree (Mike included). Unfortunately, a number of people have passed on as well.

I remember my first 'Hi it's me and here's my new surround sound ambient album' post many years ago and how it was pretty much well ignored, until I stuck around and started contributing.

stargazer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Yesterday at 01:32:11 AM »
I remember you recommended Hypnos forum to us and from reading the old threads and new thoughts by the members, I see a good base here.
Looking forward to your new projects.  :)
"There are the unbiased and fleeting moments in music, which are eternal and imperishable."

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
« Reply #12 on: Yesterday at 09:07:40 AM »
Hi Jana, I'm fine thanks. Rather behind my own schedule regarding the projects I'm working on, though.

It seems that people have moved on to a degree (Mike included). Unfortunately, a number of people have passed on as well.

I remember my first 'Hi it's me and here's my new surround sound ambient album' post many years ago and how it was pretty much well ignored, until I stuck around and started contributing.

Pete, Tell me more about your surround album(s). Still available?