Author Topic: Spotify and 'fake' ambient artists ?  (Read 154 times)

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
Spotify and 'fake' ambient artists ?
« on: July 13, 2017, 02:12:26 AM »
An interesting read,

Spotify has denied filling its most popular playlists with “fake artists”, after it was accused of creating songs to bulk out its most popular ambient playlists at low cost to itself.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/jul/10/spotify-denies-filling-popular-playlists-with-fake-artists

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
Re: Spotify and 'fake' ambient artists ?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 12:22:26 PM »
I'm currently on the Spotify 3 month (almost free) subscription, just to try it out for curiosities sake, really.
Being curious, I thought to see who was popular in the ambient world (on Spotify) and I found some artists I'd never heard of with millions of plays on some of the more 'sleep / relaxing' type playlists. Then I read this article.

Still don't really know what to make of Spotify (ethically), but it's nice to track down some interesting stuff. I don't think I would subscribe at a tenner a month though, I don't really listen to enough music to warrant that.

Be interesting to see how it holds up over time, specially in the light of recent rumours about Soundcloud.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 11:40:06 AM by petekelly »

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
Re: Spotify and 'fake' ambient artists ?
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 10:46:28 AM »
If Spotify is behind this, or are letting these fake artist take over their service, it will probably end up killing itself off. In a way it kind of reminds me of myspace. At one point it was the place to be, but then the owners got greedy and put so many ads up that it was a waste of time to even attempt to go on it anymore. People will figure out it's nothing but a scam of fake artists and they will stop going.
Take care.

- Loren Nerell