Author Topic: Partikel 2. . . . featuring Robert Rich  (Read 3520 times)

dreamin4ever

• View Profile
Partikel 2. . . . featuring Robert Rich
« on: March 05, 2008, 08:05:39 PM »
Anybody else out there check out Robert Rich at the Goethe Institute(PARTIKEL 2) on March 1, or up in Livermore, CA? I was at the Partikel 2 show. Excellent show. Great turn out. Visuals was out of this universe.

sraymar

• View Profile
    • Steve Raymar
Re: Partikel 2. . . . featuring Robert Rich
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 07:04:02 PM »
I was there after a day in traffic school on two hours sleep yet. Found out about it on electro-music.com by a fortuitous visit off the cuff a week prior. I walked in about half way into Lake of Sleep. Loved the ocean wave slowly disolving over his one chord(with a few notes added slowly here and there) ambient piece. That Mackie PA was right on the money.

Too bad Laura Escudé and Kathie Talbot's set was plagued with technical glitches galore complete with incredibly poor graphics. They had so much potential and I loved Kathie's voice and her Louise Brooks bob hairdo.

Robert Rich had the right idea nixing laptops and sticking with his Korg's and MOTM modular. His set was by far the best of the three, too bad so many people split in the middle of it. Too trendy for the room I guess. His music and fantastic visuals were like a perfect acid trip. Most of his set was pre-sequenced obviously with some occasional modular tweeking in addition to his flute and steel guitar work. Interesting Ebow vibrato technique. He really should explore finger picking that thing, lot of extra expression to be found there.

Being on two hours sleep and having to drive back to behind the Orange Curtain I couldn't stick around for some of his home brewed wine. Best $15 I've spent in a long time! I'm not sure how he did it but he managed to turn a summer weather like week into a gloomy San Francisco weathered saturday to set the mood. Then it cleared up all summer like on sunday, amazing.

sraymar
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 11:10:39 PM by sraymar »
Ambient isn't just for technicians!

The artist isn't a special kind of man, but every man is a special kind of artist.

Don't be afraid to grow, give yourself a chance.

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
Re: Partikel 2. . . . featuring Robert Rich
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 07:43:53 PM »
Too bad Laura Escudé and Kathie Talbot's set was plagued with technical glitches galore complete with incredibly poor graphics. They had so much potential and I loved Kathie's voice and her Louise Brooks bob hairdo.

I think the guy with the red laptop was doing graphics, not the best I have seen. It seems that Laura's new soundcard was the problem as it crashed on her once just before the show started. Then once they got started everything was distorted as well. After the second crash it seemed to work better. Hopefully next time they will have better luck.

Robert Rich had the right idea nixing laptops and sticking with his Korg's and MOTM modular. 

Robert did have a laptop running ableton live but he could still do stuff if his computer went down, unlike the two artists before him.

His set was by far the best of the three, too bad so many people split in the middle of it. Too trendy for the room I guess.

Yeah that was strange, except that most of the people who got up and left the room came back after the concert was over. I was sitting in the back next to the door so I saw everyone come back in. I guess they wanted to chat or something else.

It was a good show and I had a great time catching up with Robert and everyone afterwards, met some great people. I didn't get home until almost 2 am.  ;D
Take care.

- Loren Nerell