Author Topic: Robert Rich - Filaments  (Read 499 times)

Robert Logan

• View Profile
Robert Rich - Filaments
« on: January 31, 2015, 09:08:02 AM »
Good afternoon,

I'm surprised there isn't a thread on here for Robert Rich's newest album yet. I've listened to a youtube upload of it (am waiting for my physical order to arrive.)

I think this a brilliant release from Robert. Dark(ish), mesmerising and intricate, and to me his best since 'Electric Ladder'. It seems a bit more of an 'active' work from him,0 but I like it more than his last few 'active' albums (not that they were bad or anything - I simply find the nature of the harmonies, tunings, atmospheres, structures and the mysterious energy of the music here thrills me more easily than, say the approach taken on 'Ylang' or 'Medicine Box'.)

Robert Rich remains one of the most interesting 'ambient/electronic' composers alive to these ears. I can see anyone giving it a chance falling in love with this one.   

What do you folk make of 'Filaments'?

richardgurtler

• View Profile
    • My Discogs profile and shop
Re: Robert Rich - Filaments
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 10:41:08 AM »
Can't agree more, Robert!!! "Filaments" CD is another milestone from this genius soundscaper, aural and visual bliss awaits, absolute perfection in every detail!!! Robert, you can be sure you will love the digipak as soon it reaches your mailbox. Once again, after "Perpetual - A Somnium Continuum" Blu-ray, another hats off to Robert Rich!!! We all can be lucky to have him on the board.

Richard

thirdsystem

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 12:12:50 PM »
Was unaware of this so thanks for posting. It is not even on the front of Robert's website yet, had to go into his shop to see Filaments.

Just listening to his samples, this is wonderful !!! Order imminent.

Cheers.

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 12:31:45 PM »
Cool. Looking forward to hearing this.

richardgurtler

• View Profile
    • My Discogs profile and shop
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2015, 06:07:13 AM »
Was unaware of this so thanks for posting. It is not even on the front of Robert's website yet, had to go into his shop to see Filaments.

The best way is to subscribe for Robert's newsletter, the last one from January 13th features info on "Filaments" as well as confirmed tour dates for his upcoming spring tour.

Richard

thirdsystem

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2015, 04:24:57 AM »
Yes Richard I will do that. Thanks.

Would love to go and see Robert and Steve Roach live, however from a family perspective I can't justify the cost of the journey over the pond etc . Hope you enjoy it.

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2015, 10:12:52 AM »
Robert Rich lost his muse years ago.  There, I said it.  This new one is another overly digitized, cold affair that continues to be light years away from his visceral work of the 80s and 90s.  Seems to be no real passion anymore in the music, and every new release sounds like the last.  No thanks.  I'd rather hear numena or trances/drones on repeat than buy 10 more very mediocre releases. 

Robert Logan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2015, 07:22:52 PM »
Robert Rich lost his muse years ago.  There, I said it.  This new one is another overly digitized, cold affair that continues to be light years away from his visceral work of the 80s and 90s.  Seems to be no real passion anymore in the music, and every new release sounds like the last.  No thanks.  I'd rather hear numena or trances/drones on repeat than buy 10 more very mediocre releases.

I'm not just buckling to pressure here at all - but I must confess I have now been struggling to connect with this new one over the last few days. Your post reminded me about that... Maybe it's a mood thing, maybe not. I find it amazing how at one moment an album can seem so special, and then so irritating and unfulfilling.

Another reason I wanted to respond to you is because I had also ordered an older Robert Rich (from '94) that I somehow missed - that 'Propagation' one. I think the cover art put me off (oh dear.) But it is an amazing release, and I am currently enjoying it much more than the new one. It seems so full of life, and the tracks build to such subtle but sublime climaxes. It hasn't dated at all and seems buzzing with fresh energy.

I hope my feelings about 'Filaments' return to where they were on that first listen when I wrote that post! 

judd stephens

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2015, 08:51:03 PM »

Another reason I wanted to respond to you is because I had also ordered an older Robert Rich (from '94) that I somehow missed - that 'Propagation' one. I think the cover art put me off (oh dear.) But it is an amazing release, and I am currently enjoying it much more than the new one. It seems so full of life, and the tracks build to such subtle but sublime climaxes. It hasn't dated at all and seems buzzing with fresh energy.

I hope my feelings about 'Filaments' return to where they were on that first listen when I wrote that post!

Propagation is a grand effort in spite of that cover art!  That was the hip, ultra cool and cutting edge type of art back in the 90's, ya know. 

Another one of Robert's I really enjoy and play a lot during my work is Yearning, a collaboration with Lisa Moskow.  She plays the sarod which sounds somewhere between a harp and a sitar, and can say I never tire of this work.  I've looked for more from Lisa Moskow but it all sounds very traditional and lacks the mystery and even warmth of Robert Rich's atmospheres.  There are Robert Rich interludes of flutes, steel guitar and such where the sarod takes a pause, and it really is a nice back and forth.  He takes it to the brink of being dark, but treads the line nicely.    Moskow's sarod playing also seems tailored to this collaboration, being more gently animated.   They perfectly compliment each other- it's a great example of two artists combining their talents to create something special.

thirdsystem

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2015, 07:21:32 AM »
I am hoping to order Filaments next week. Just listened to the samples on Robert's website again. Like it.
In addition the artwork is absolutely beautiful.

Have to say I really like "Nest" also. Beautiful album. And Morphology on Anodize, just listened to that this morning actually.

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Today at 08:06:08 AM »
Judd, I agree about the Yearning album.  Lisa Moscow was on a track on Propagation, then they did the full album.  I saw them live together in 1994 at a small church in San Francisco.  Fantastic concert!!! 

I did like Morphology because it had live versions of some early material, from Numena for example.