Author Topic: Ambient / Space music....long tracks or short.  (Read 134 times)

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
Ambient / Space music....long tracks or short.
« on: June 23, 2016, 04:09:16 PM »
personally I have always enjoyed long tracks that develop over time, how much time is a matter of preference.  A cd will give more or less 72 minutes of time to use.....downloads presumably infinite.

recently a good deal of my listening has been rather short track times...in a way snapshots, not fully developed or refined but more here it is now....this is not a criticism or a slight on musical quality and production, on the contrary it is all superb. perhaps when I say not fully developed Im referencing myself who enjoys taking the music I make and really working it outwards to see how far I can go.  early eno ambient for discussion sake has always been on the short side....so

an album of snapshots can make up a unique whole...a deep immersion of limited change is another experience and maybe monotonus to some.  Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

perhaps this has more to do with our changing listening patterns and attention span as we (the world) is bombarded from without in our everyday life.

your thoughts are most welcome.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 04:13:27 PM by Julio Di Benedetto »
"Life is one big road, with lots of signs, so when you ride to the Roots, do not complicate your mind, ... "  Bob Marley

http://digitalvoices.bandcamp.com/
http://databloem.com

stargazer

• View Profile
Re: Ambient / Space music....long tracks or short.
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2016, 03:03:07 AM »
Thats an interesting question, Julio.

Both, long and short tracks can be fascinating evolving. I wrote short pieces of one minute length and they were perfect. I meditated one hour on my synthesizer and it was perfect.
The listening experience somehow reflects - in best case - the creation process. And although attention underlies alterations, this won't correlate with music itself.
Because music is timeless, it freezes us in the moment like in a dream (one minute, one hour, timeless).

PS: One short story - about my album "Sparkles". As the title says, the music on this album was intended to reflect the "Sparks".
"Sparks" are ultra-short light moments, and therefore the pieces also evolved very short. But originally I wrote 4 multi layered tracks for the album that I afterwards splitted into 10 single tracks.
I simply felt that the simple tracks reflect - within all unperfectness - a perfectness and deepness that they would have not reached with the multi layering.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 10:18:22 AM by stargazer »
"There are the unbiased and fleeting moments in music, which are eternal and imperishable."

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2016, 12:17:41 PM »
Yes, it is an interesting topic.

Personally, I don't see anything being set in stone for duration, listeners may prefer a longer piece if they want to fall asleep to it or use it for meditation / ritual use etc. As an example, 'Drone ambient' tends to be long-form. I've done both shorter and longer 'formats', it's whatever seems appropriate for a particular track, in my view.

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 12:48:29 PM »
Good music is good music - whether short or long.

I do like long tracks that I can drift off with and into - but I enjoy listening to short tracks as well.

There is a pressure of time with everything that needs to be done so I don't get to listen to whole albums as much as I'd like to.