Author Topic: Interstellar  (Read 301 times)

drone on

• View Profile
Interstellar
« on: November 07, 2014, 09:50:04 PM »
Anyone seen this yet?  Opinions wanted....haven't seen it yet myself.

Altus

• View Profile
    • Altus - aural journeys for the mind's eye
Re: Interstellar
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2014, 07:16:34 AM »
From what I've read, it doesn't devolve to just guns and explosions, and has been compared to Robert Zemeckis' Contact. Yay!
I've also read it's heavy on exposition, which is a problem for some. That doesn't bother me though. I'll be seeing it in a few weeks once the crowds die down.
Mike Carss -- Altus : aural journeys for the mind's eye
www.altusmusic.ca

Ein Sophistry

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2014, 02:40:58 AM »
Just saw this tonight. A very, very ambitious movie. There's a lot of cool stuff happening, but its reach definitely sometimes exceeds its grasp (in a way, this is somewhat thematically appropriate). Plenty of fantastic set pieces and a good amount of compelling drama, but things tended to get cringe-worthy pretty quickly whenever anyone started talking "science." I'm a pretty huge science nerd, so these moments took me out of the film. I should definitely say that I think most of you will be pleasantly surprised with Zimmer's score. Refreshingly different from the bombast for which he's famous. Possibly my favorite work of his since The Thin Red Line.
Ain Sophistry
In Pursuit of Philosophical/Scientific Clarity in Scientific/Philosophical Thought.

Altus

• View Profile
    • Altus - aural journeys for the mind's eye
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2014, 07:27:58 AM »
Possibly my favorite work of his since The Thin Red Line.
!!!
Hearing this excites me. Thin Red Line is certainly my favourite from Zimmer as well.
Mike Carss -- Altus : aural journeys for the mind's eye
www.altusmusic.ca

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2014, 10:16:22 AM »
It's a long, slowly developing movie. A bit of a 2001 mood in places. Don't expect non-stop action. Yep, overlook the science and just enjoy the mood, characters, sets and cinematography.
We enjoyed it.
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2014, 01:52:50 PM »
I have only seen the trailer..but I am pretty sure it is very good..

El culto

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2014, 06:26:00 AM »
Possibly my favorite work of his since The Thin Red Line.
!!!
Hearing this excites me. Thin Red Line is certainly my favourite from Zimmer as well.

+1 Here the same  :)

Dave Michuda

• View Profile
    • Low Light Mixes
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2014, 07:48:30 PM »
I saw Interstellar over the weekend & enjoyed it very much.  Not my favorite movie of the year, that would be Boyhood, but it sure was an excellent ride.

It's a bit long, probably could have cut 20-30 minutes from it.  I love the big, grand scale of the film.  The score, while maybe not as bombastic as usual for Zimmer, is still very intense at times.  The volume in the theater I was in was just on the edge of too loud.  Overall I liked the score.

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2014, 02:42:44 PM »
Saw it and it was awesome.  If you liked Contact and 2001 you will like this.  Concerning the music:  it was better than the overdramatized drivel these blockbusters usually employ, but I didn't notice much about it.   You know I really can't understand why some of these sci-fi projects don't use electronic space music.  A perfect one would be Redshift.  Their music is big and cosmic, alternating between bombastic sequencer to symphonic to atmospheric drone.  I could see a whole film being scored  to this music, and it would fit so much better than some boring classical music which is totally generic (and I don't mean 2001 because that music was perfect and not generic).

What is some ambient electronic music you'd like to see in a film?

jdh

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2014, 03:27:17 PM »
Saw it yesterday.It was mediocre at best,5/10.There have been many comparisons with 2001.Kubrick would be turning in his grave. 50 years later,2001 is still a reference.In about a year,this film will be more or less forgotten. I really wonder what passes for culture now.Was it entertaining,sort of yes.Did it say anything,no. Music was OK,a bit cloying.Good point Drone on.Blockbusters use the same 2 or 3 composers for everything.You think a sci-fi pic would use more electronic based music like the film Under the Skin but it will never happen.

Anne Hathaway-Every scene she looked like she stepped out of a Vogue photo shoot.Do they have lipstick,eyeliner and rouge in hyper space.One scene Michael Caine is an old man,next scene it is supposed to be 20 years later,he looks exactly the same.BTW-He is the best thing about this.In the spaceship,one crew member has his helmet on and continues with it on,the other no helmet-Why the helmets men? What is with that TARS robot-I really laughed out loud when I saw that. Is that Nolans answer to HAL.What is with the "They" all time.You want to sound deep and mysterious,use "They".

I can relax and say it was just a film and that is fine.But when I read reviews comparing it to masters like Kubrick or that they consulted NASA and so on.Come on.

BTW-Dave is right.Boyhood is truly wonderful.

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2014, 01:18:26 PM »
Although I don't agree with your summation, your review did make me laugh.  Yes, Caine still looked the same age.  Everybody got perfect haircuts --maybe by TARS?--during the long spaceship mission.  I wanted to puke during Hathaways "love" speech.