OTHER THINGS IN THE WORLD THAN MUSIC > Art and Literature, Movies and TV

Now Reading, pt 2

<< < (24/31) > >>

thirdsystem:

--- Quote from: mgriffin on February 13, 2014, 09:39:08 AM ---
--- Quote from: Dave Michuda on February 12, 2014, 08:25:10 PM --- Just finished "Sand" by Hugh Howley.  Similarly to how he released "Wool", "Sand" was published as a serial with all the books being collected in the omnibus edition. 
 Highly recommended, as is his Wool Omnibus.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for this, Dave. I've heard good things about Wool, and though Howley is a polarizing figure in the publishing world at times, I've heard Wool is a good read. Sand sounds even more interesting to me, based on your review.

--- End quote ---

Read the first two Wool and Shift, excellent writing and story. The third one Dust is about to be released in paperback here so can't wait to read how this all ends !!!

That "Sand" sounds great, will check that out also, cheers.

chris23:
Sand looks really interesting. I'll have to check that out.

Just re-read Ready Player One. Couldn't help myself.

Dave Michuda:
The Plague Forge: The Dire Earth Cycle: Three by Jason M. Hough

I'm just finishing the third book in this series.  What started out as a promising story has come to a grinding halt, buried under repetitive scenes in an effort to make a trilogy out of a single book.  There are only so many battle scenes I can handle over the course of 450 pages before I just start skipping some all together.  There are some interesting characters & ideas in this series but it should have been one book not three.

This has become a common problem with a lot of science fiction - can't anybody just write a stand alone book anymore?  What's the point of having an editor if every idea balloons into an unwieldy monster?  I know money is the reason for this behavior but, c'mon man!  Knock it off!

Well, I guess I'll go back & try to finish this book.  I can see the finish line, but my legs are dead and my will is gone.

chris23:
Re-read Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged. That took forever. But worth it. I love that book, despite not resonating with her philosophy fully.

Ransom Riggs - Hollow City
A follow up to Miss Perregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, which I liked a lot. Hollow City wasn't that great. Not much of a story and all the character development points and quirks got spent in the first novel.

Gabrielle Zevin - The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry
This was excellent. A.J. Fikry owns a bookstore on Alice Island--a small island resort that essentially thrives on summer visitors. Three important things happen early in the novel: A.J. is awfully rude to a book representative, his ultra-rare copy fo E.A. Poe's first book is stolen, and a woman abandons her baby in his book store with a note that says that she wants the girl to grow up among books and people who love books. The way in which the implications of these three events are woven together is excellent. Plus, each chapter opens with A.J.'s brief review of of classic and popular books, which start in a normal fashion, but, as the novel progresses, become notes to his daughter. Super cool story.

Just picked up Sand. Looking forward to starting it.

Seren:
The Black Jewels trilogy by Anne Bishop.

Rereading this  - demons with ethics and humans without.......interesting switch.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version