OTHER THINGS IN THE WORLD THAN MUSIC > Art and Literature, Movies and TV

Now Reading, pt 2

<< < (2/32) > >>

Dave Michuda:
Blackout by Connie Willis

The first of two book story of historians from 2060 traveling back to WWII London to do firsthand research.  I've read another of Willis' time traveling historians books, "The Doomsday Book", and liked it a lot.  So far "Blackout" has been a good read with a ton of detail about London during the evacuation of Dunkirk, the blitz & the evacuation of London children to the countryside.  I believe "Blackout" along with "All Clear" won the 2011 Hugo award.

Seren:

and

Found these in a friends house - same editions as the ones I had 35 years ago, prices 60p and 40p respectively.

There is a point in the Lost Worlds book, towards the end, which reminded me of one of the reasons why I was so interested in science fiction as a youngster.

I still find it easy to believe, looking up at the stars, that there is life out there that is not only 'intelligent' but also 'civilised'   (' ' marks used to denote we may not know what those words might entail in a universal context) - that has no interest in travelling the vast distances between stars just to stick probes up our backsides. Civilisations that might just know how to exist in a positive sense and from whom we could learn wonders.

I think that sense is still strong in me and sort of expresses itself in many areas of my life - not that I am waiting for something bigger than us (whether god or aliens) to make things better - but just knowing we can do better than we are and maybe one day we'll be lucky to meet those that already have.....

And just read this again for the same sort of reason.

may well dig out my copy of

and see if I still have

mgriffin:

--- Quote from: Dave Michuda on October 01, 2011, 03:43:30 PM ---Blackout by Connie Willis

The first of two book story of historians from 2060 traveling back to WWII London to do firsthand research.  I've read another of Willis' time traveling historians books, "The Doomsday Book", and liked it a lot.  So far "Blackout" has been a good read with a ton of detail about London during the evacuation of Dunkirk, the blitz & the evacuation of London children to the countryside.  I believe "Blackout" along with "All Clear" won the 2011 Hugo award.

--- End quote ---

I think Connie Willis is a pretty entertaining writer, from what I've seen. Generally I find myself less interested in alternate history or "visitors from the future check out the past" stories.

I thought it was interesting, all the debate about whether to consider "Blackout" and "All Clear" as one book or separate books for award nomination purposes. Interesting to hear Jonathan Strahan and Gary Wolfe discuss it on their excellent Notes From Coode Street podcast earlier this year.

(Also should mention... I first posted my response by hitting the "modify" link instead of "quote," and added my remarks to the end of your post, hence the "edited by..." note at the end of your post. Sorry 'bout that!)

Jeff Sampson:
I really appreciate the reviews and recommendations I read of books I'm not familiar with, despite the slight feeling of depression they induce. "So many books, so little time".

hjalmer:
the stones of summer

saw mark moskowitz excellent 2002 homage to reading (the stone reader)
and the mysterious one time novelist dow mossman
and his vanishing into the literary aether

bought a signed copy because of the movie long ago
and finally read the novel

similar to kerouacs town and the city
and saul bellows the adventures of augie march
a bildiungsroman and deep internal american journey

great novel
great movie

h

Navigation

[0] Message Index