OTHER THINGS IN THE WORLD THAN MUSIC > Art and Literature, Movies and TV

Now Reading, pt 2

<< < (17/35) > >>

mgriffin:
Chris, thanks for your review of I, Lucifer. I really loved Duncan's The Last Werewolf, and wondered about his earlier books.

chris23:
I read the Amazon summary of The Last Werewolf and it sounds similar in spirit to I, Lucifer. You might enjoy it.

How Should a Person Be? by Sheila Heti
This is an unusual novel. It reminds me a bit of a modern day The Catcher in the Rye, written from a woman's perspective. Sheila, the author and main character, is a young writer living in Toronto. She lacks direction and is on a quest to understand how a person should be--how should we measure a person's life, to what ideals a person should strive, and how to find meaning in one's pursuits. In many ways, the novel reads like a memoir (it is written in the first-person and, as far as I can discern, the characters are her real friends). I'm not sure if I would recommend it to a broad audience; this novel won't appeal to someone who is seeking a story with a well constructed and thoughtful plot. But this novel is likely to appeal to people who have struggled at some point to find meaning in their art, who like the idea of seeking the heroic in the mundane, or who have struggled with the fine line between passion and friendship.

Seren:
The Android's Dream - John Scalzi.

Sci Fi with an interesting level of humour and insight as well as a good number of twists and turns in the story.

I liked the refernce to the 'Nugentians', the cult that follows the teachings of Ted Nugent, 'The Bowhunter', in a world where most people eat 'lab grown meat'.....

Seren:
currently reading both Behold the Man and Dancers at the End of Time by Michael Moorcock.

Not read these in years and forgotten how surreal Moorcock's writing can be.

Behold the Man - guy travels back in time to witness the crucifixion, discovers Christ is unable to do the things written in the bible so the guy acts out his memory of the stories so they can be written.
   I'd forgotten how unlikeable the main character is - not nasty, just unlikeable - it puts a strange edge on the story (if the story was not strange enough)....

Dancers at the End of Time Even stranger story of the last surviving group of human beings way, way, way into the future. Unlimited energy available so they spend their time recreating reality to suit their whims (changing sex, landscapes, morning to night etc etc). Somehow Moorcock writes it so that they are both decadent and innocent. It is hard to tell where 'morality' lies if ethics are irrelevant. Full of human emotion and experience, but not like we have them.....

El culto:
Peter Stramm - Seven Years

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/may/04/seven-years-peter-stamm-review

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version