Author Topic: Now Reading, pt 2  (Read 150052 times)

Seren

• View Profile
Re: Now Reading, pt 2
« Reply #220 on: April 03, 2019, 08:02:18 AM »
Hi Thirdsystem,

I also read terminal world - I enjoyed it but not as much as those I mentioned. I thought the imagination was great but found the character development not as good.

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #221 on: April 03, 2019, 08:17:28 AM »
Just read this too

It gave more than I expected as I was expecting some wishy washy new age thing...but....

He takes the general scientific view that because we don't know what animals are thinking or feeling, they don't think or feel and blows it apart.

He prefers to leave the question open and then uses field research (rather than lab research) to explore the possible answers. But he also uses lab research to point out the blind spots of the lab researchers.

He also points that because we don't know what other humans are thinking (we have to ask) do we assume that humans don't think or feel - when clearly we do. He explores similarities and differences in human and animal behaviour as everything we have is built on what evolved in all of us.

He tries not to expect human and animal intelligence and communication to be the same. He mentions that human music was played to Tamarinds and it had no effect so researchers developed music to fit Tamarind physicality (related to their heartbeat speed, not ours and upped the pitch) and found that they did respond then. Again, if we ask a human question, why do we expect another animal to even understand it is a question.

There are three main areas of fieldwork - elephants, wolves and orcas and he adds in lots of things from other areas. There is a discussion on juvenile behaviour in animals that is really thought provoking...

A very good book, but also bluntly describes the cruelty humans cause to animals just because we think we are better....

stargazer

• View Profile
« Reply #222 on: April 07, 2019, 11:25:35 AM »
Arun Gandhi: "The Gift of Anger"

A book about Mahatma Gandhi, some insights written by his grandson Arun Gandhi. A great find from last week that fascinated me by the very first lines.

stargazer

• View Profile
« Reply #223 on: August 17, 2019, 02:28:50 PM »
Peter Høeg - The Quiet Girl & The Elephant Keepers' Children

Both books / stories are special. The first about the system of the tones and stillness. The second about the gate to god and the elephant of sadness in us.
The writing style is breathless and very deep. You may know the author of the book Miss Smilla's Feeling for Snow.

stargazer

• View Profile
« Reply #224 on: December 01, 2019, 05:45:44 AM »
Now reading:

Mahatma Gandhi - There is no way to peace, peace is the way

... various texts by Gandhi himself ...

« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 05:51:37 AM by stargazer »