Author Topic: My review of "Live In Tucson - Pinnacle Moments" CD by Steve Roach  (Read 32 times)

richardgurtler

• View Profile
    • My Discogs profile and shop

Steve Roach "Live In Tucson - Pinnacle Moments" CD

Two live sets by Steve Roach at Tucson's Galactic Center from February 13th & 14th, 2015, still deeply resonate and "Live In Tucson - Pinnacle Moments" CD exquisitely documents these unforgettable performances. 4 tracks are taken from Saturday, 14th, while the closing piece was recorded live one day earlier. Graced by stunningly crepuscular golden desert photograph by Kati Astraeir, with additional design by Projekt's Sam Rosenthal, live recording credit goes to Kelly David and mastering wizardry is provided by Howard Givens in Spotted Peccary Studios. The CD was released exactly at one year Anniversary on Steve's Timeroom Editions and is available in limited edition of 300 4-panel digipak copies.

"The Desert Eternal" secures immediate transition with its utterly evocative distant, heavenly cries-like strings bridged with balmily mesmerizing nocturnal musings, while remotely gliding serenity is clandestinely permeated by translucent, yet intangibly immersing artificial beats. Silhouettes of majestic giant saguaros are masterfully revealed, this is undoubtedly Steve Roach at the very top of his innate desert soundcarving. The magic of this wilderness is captured in absolutely authentic way that can be only Steve Roach!!! In the middle the piece metamorphoses into intensely nuanced and tiding panoramic scenario just like the invading, awe-inspiringly cloudscaping spectacle over The Sonoran Desert. I am again sitting in the front row and living the dream!!! 17 and a half minutes of profoundly scenic aural bliss, meticulously symbolizing the American Southwest!!! Triumphantly entitled 8-minute "Endorphin Dreamtime" dives straightly into vigorously glistening terrains fronted by flamboyantly kinetic sequences, which persistently carve emotively spellbinding helixes, while massively expansive undulations are graciously guarding above. Another highly exhilarating performance!!! "Going - Gone", with 20:33 the longest track, masterfully bridges airy laid-back grooves with gossamer cyber-tech traceries, rumbling primordial subtleties and bizarrely meandering blankets. Over the course ancient ocarina sneaks in, coalesces with additional, intriguingly nebulous tribal artifacts and melts with high-tech sound alchemy, which later shifts into powerfully animated and sinuously outbursting state-of-the-art pulsing adventure counterpointed with weirdly emerging primeval groans. A thrillingly audacious venture to the forefront of phenomenal soundmagic, virtuosically amalgamating ethnographic-driven patterns with hyper-modern trance-inducing shamanic soundsculpting. A truly thunderous listening experience!!! "Skeleton Passage" clocks to 13 and a half minute mark and as indicated by its title, the journey transports the listener into euphoric sonic domains, where perpetually hypnotic sequences paint sharp curves and spirals, while magnificently yearning solitudes inconspicuously pervade along the way and ride atop in delightful symmetry with forefronting, bouncingly mindscaping momentum of sequencer syntaxes. This stellar soundforging seamlessly moves to the closing part, 14-plus minutes long piece "Spiral Passage". High-cadenced cybernetic transmissions lead the center stage, where abundant array of mesmerizingly spiraling, shimmeringly radiant and insistently ear-tickling synthetic emotions is precisely backed by warmly sweeping desert vistas. The ears of each devoted listener are perpetually bathed in infinitely blossoming and constantly progressing vibes of cyberscaping trance ambient meditations. What a jaw-dropping epic meridian!!! I still clearly remember one night, when journeying and falling asleep with this CD in my discman. Already gone during "The Desert Eternal", but then randomly reawaken in the middle of "Spiral Passage" and it was like re-entering the aural Eden at The Galactic Center. An ultimate pinnacle moment!!!

Sure, I could easily imagine in this live selection also "Today", one of my undisputable faves by the Master or the part, when par excellence didgeridoo performer Dashmesh Khalsa joined Steve on the stage during the Friday's show, but then this must have been released as a double album. However, this all-inclusive CD awakes all the aural memories from both these exceptionally breathtaking nights. So huge kudos to Steve Roach and all involved for releasing "Live In Tucson - Pinnacle Moments", to me, this live album will be always a very special as a truly essential part of the journey, when I was living the dream!!! As mentioned already, this is a limited edition of 300 copies, so make sure to grab your own copy and no matter, if you were among the crowd at February 13th & 14th, 2015 or not. Together with "Alive In The Vortex" 2CD (Vortex Dome Immersion concerts in Los Angeles, October 25th & 26th, 2013) these live recordings exquisitely demonstrate the spirit and power of the live moment, when the Master connects with his kindred spirits in the audience and shares his eternally creative bravura. And as always, the exploratory odyssey still continues through exploding studio work, so stay tuned!!! We can be all really grateful for such talent, consistency and visionary!!! Thank you so much, Steve!!!

Richard Gürtler (May 01, 2016, Bratislava, Slovakia)