Author Topic: My review of "All My Regret For Nothing Remembered" cassette by Hakobune  (Read 17 times)

• View Profile
    • My Discogs profile and shop

Hakobune "All My Regret For Nothing Remembered" cassette

Wow, since I returned to reviewing back in 2010, this is the first time I will focus on a release available on a cassette format. Yes, except vinyl it seems like also this almost dusted format is being resurrected quite successfully by some labels and artists. Warm Drone Label (simple, but concise name, I like it so much!!!) is a newborn Dutch label, run by Casper van der Veen, big drone aficionado from Utrecht and his companion Bram Gollin from Hilversum, who is the sole protagonist behind dark ambient project Kave. Japanese drone guitar virtuoso Takahiro Yorifuji, known as Hakobune, is a quite productive ambient composer releasing his music through various established labels across the globe such as U-Cover, gterma, Somehow Recordings, Hibernate and Rural Colours, Psychonavigation, Dronarivm, White Paddy Mountain... "All My Regret For Nothing Remembered" is a C25 cassette with j-card printed on textured recycled paper, released at September 8th, 2015 as a premiere release of Warm Drone Label in limited edition of 200 copies.

"Part I", exactly clocking to 10 minute mark, reveals with gently intense dronescape, graciously drifting on gorgeously nostalgic blankets. Sublimely helixing dissonances continuously pervade and paint slightly reverberating images, hauntingly mindscaping, but they are promptly softened with mellowly nuanced layers. Monolithic on the first glimpse, but underneath delightfully multi-dimensional palette of ascending and gradient patterns persistently unfolds. The length of this composition passes rather quickly due its powerfully enrapturing aura, I definitely want more, so let's turn to the next side. "Part II" is only several seconds longer than the first track and it immediately shifts into kind-hearted terrains, again meticulously graced by expansive drone scenario, which immerses the listener into profoundly deep atmospheric bliss even if some high-pitched subtleties or hummed consonances inconspicuously percolate here and there. On the top of that weeping sinuousness magnificently sneaks in, crescendoes and reaches the balmily sweeping zone, a sort of grand finale, which exquisitely exhibits the label's name. Yes, a hallmark sound of Warm Drone Label just have been introduced!!!

"All My Regret For Nothing Remembered" is a very strong and sympathetic debut of Warm Drone Label, I could easily enjoy much longer recording, because Hakobune masterfully utilizes during these 20 minutes all his dronescaping potential and creativity. Although I am not that much familiar with his other releases, I certainly want to explore much more. And his most recent collaborative effort with Dirk Serries, entitled "Obscured By Beams Of Sorrow" and released few weeks ago on White Paddy Mountain seems to be the right choice. Anyway, back to "All My Regret For Nothing Remembered" cassette, hats off to Hakobune and kudos to Casper van der Veen & Bram Gollin for originating Warm Drone Label. I hope the future will bring many exciting releases from this Dutch label, keep strong!!! Speaking about the physical format, as far I know the cassette is still available through Warm Drone Label's Bandcamp site as well as via Discogs directly from the source. Or pick up your digital version.

Richard Gürtler (Oct 10, 2015, Bratislava, Slovakia)