Author Topic: newbish question about audio interface  (Read 1416 times)

Stellardrone

• View Profile
    • Stellardrone's official website
newbish question about audio interface
« on: October 12, 2011, 11:41:42 AM »
Hello there,

So I'd like to know if I bought all the right things for live performance and if so, how to connect it correctly.

I have a laptop with 4 usb ports, usb midi keyboard (I will use software synths and fx) and an external USB audio interface (behringer uma222).
So could I connect all of this and play with low latency or am I missing something?

I imagine I should connect midi keyboard through one USB port, then audio interface through another, then connect some external speakers to that interface and then that's it?

I drew a picture  ;D (see attachement)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 11:59:58 AM by Stellardrone »

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
Re: newbish question about audio interface
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 11:44:43 AM »
You have the right idea. If you're concerned about latency it's better to connect each USB device as directly as possible to the host computer, rather than daisy-chaining USB devices.

I'd test the setup before you get up on stage, though!  ;)
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 11:48:01 AM »
Yep, sounds good.
The main (line level) outs of the Behringer would go to powered speakers or an amp then to speakers.
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

Stellardrone

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 11:59:31 AM »
thanks. yeah, I will test it. Actually I tried something similar one year ago with much better external audio card, desktop computer and a keyboard but I lost in all the functions, and I failed to connect it correctly and couldn't hear any sound.

So I was thinking maybe I am missing some crucial part :D

By the way, how the sound signal passes through, when I hit the key, the information travels to software and then software sends signal to audio interface which then produces sound (with a help of speakers)? If that's correct, then there should be the same latency as if I had no external audio card and connected speakers directly to my headphone jack of laptop. Or am I wrong?

That little thingy uma222 has only one input (L and R) and one output (L and R) + headphone jack. I am curious, is it possible to connect all of this more directly than I showed in a picture?

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 12:43:28 PM »
Any time information is sent from one place to another, there is some latency. Sometimes the latency is so short, you don't notice the delay. I'm very sure that the time it takes your computer's CPU to send audio out through a hard-wired internal audio interface (such as headphone jack in the side of the computer) is much shorter than the time to send audio via USB to an external audio interface. But the difference either way should be a very tiny slice of time, like milliseconds.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 01:43:27 PM »
Electricity is really really fast  ;D

The main thing you need when playing keyboards is no (humanly) perceptible time difference between you hitting a key and you hearing the sound it produces. With recent computer hardware, ad/da converters converters (your Behringer), and audio software you should notice no time gap.

But you must use a fast audio driver for that to happen. Your Behringer should have an audio driver (or drivers) you install. Once installed, use the ASIO driver in your software if you are on Windows (I'm not sure about Mac). There is a good chance the default latency setting will work very well.

www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk

Stellardrone

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 01:58:11 PM »
Actually I just tried my keyboard on my desktop computer without any external audio interface (just internal audio chip, you know, that which goes on all motherboards) the the latency was very small. Unlike, I think, would be if I tried same thing with a laptop (which is Lenovo n500, suprise suprise). That's why I hope behringer will solve this problem.

Yeah, I am talking about the latency when you hit the key and hear the sound. Though I will probably not use any keys (noob in this field at the moment), just knobs for different FX and mod wheel.

Thank you all for replies :)

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 03:25:07 PM »
Just to repeat a point ... the audio driver that comes with Windows is slow. You need to use an ASIO driver ... it is much faster. The Behringer should have one, or you can use a free ASIO driver, like ASIO4all from  www.asio4all.com

You should not be able to notice any latency latency when you play notes on an external keyboard.
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk

Stellardrone

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2011, 01:34:01 PM »
thanks, I'll try installing asio later :)