Author Topic: Doin' the right Thing?  (Read 1232 times)

darren bergstein

• View Profile
Doin' the right Thing?
« on: October 14, 2011, 12:46:41 PM »
Went and saw The Thing today & thought I'd chime in with observations, perhaps a smallish review of sorts...

Bottom line: I wanted to like it, and, in fact, did. I did my best to park any expectations at the door, as I read both harshly negative and fairly intelligent, positive reviews last night. The film, for the most part, walks a strange line between being interesting & flat. The creature effects are pretty cool; I dug 'em, but will say that they are definitely CGI-originated, and, in some scenes, are too digital, where that 'suspension of disbelief' is temporarily shattered. Although I am hesitant to make comparisons to Carpenter's classic, one element missing from this new Thing is a fairly consistent lack of suspense; there is little of that sense of ominous dread & paranoia so much a part of Carpenter's design. It doesn't help that the score is a far cry from Morricone/Carpenter/Howarth's minimal electronic pulsations, which helped immeasurably buttress that film's nightmarish atmosphere (Rob Bottin's god-like creature executions notwithstanding).

There's no doubt that this new Thing is for the most part a wholly unnecessary object that surely didn't need reinvention, but I found it diverting enough in its own right; it doesn't sully the rep of it's 1982 forebear, nor does it attain that film's grand guignol heights. At best, it achieves a respectable middle ground for its rather economical 95 or so minutes. Make of that what you will.

(Oh, and be sure to stay through at least the first half of the closing credits - pretty essential to get the whole idea of the new filmmaker's intentions.)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 12:49:15 PM by darren bergstein »
DARREN BERGSTEIN
> Periphery & Anodize / tactile visual audio / www.otperiphery.com / www.anodizesound.com
> Groupthink / wayward electroacoustic murmurings / www.groupthinksounds.com
> e: eimag@verizon.net

Bill Binkelman

• View Profile
Re: Doin' the right Thing?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 01:31:00 PM »
Thanks for the review, Darren. I may see it second run or watch it on DVD, but as someone who LOVES the John Carpenter version (have watched between 10-15 times, probably), I just think I will find this unnecessary and even redundant. But, since reading your review, I will not dismiss it out of hand.

"Oh, I'm a real light sleeper, Chiles."
May the odds be ever in your favor.

darren bergstein

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 09:17:18 PM »
"Oh, I'm a real light sleeper, Chiles."

"I just don't believe any of this voodoo bullshit..."

:)

Surely what Carpenter & co. did was exquisite visual voodoo...

DARREN BERGSTEIN
> Periphery & Anodize / tactile visual audio / www.otperiphery.com / www.anodizesound.com
> Groupthink / wayward electroacoustic murmurings / www.groupthinksounds.com
> e: eimag@verizon.net

Stellardrone

• View Profile
    • Stellardrone's official website
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 10:40:22 AM »
Personally? I LOVED IT. Mainly because (I suspect) I saw it in cinema and not pirated version on my computer, but the FX and action was top notch (again, according to my standards).

Also I am a huge fan of the Carpenter's THE THING. Actually, it is the best horror movie I have ever seen (and I am not a rookie in horror genre, hehe). So anyway, the prequel was great. Best movie of the Year definitelly.

Antdude

• Punch and Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 12:55:54 PM »
"I know you gentlemen have been through a lot. And when you find the time, I'd rather not spend the rest of this winter TIED TO THIS F*CKING COUCH!!!"
I'm not dead yet.