Author Topic: My review of "Nights In Nubiland" CD by Aglaia  (Read 825 times)

richardgurtler

• View Profile
    • My Discogs profile and shop
My review of "Nights In Nubiland" CD by Aglaia
« on: October 16, 2011, 04:45:07 AM »

Aglaia "Nights In Nubiland" CD

Gino Fioravanti and Gianluigi Toso, the two Aglaia's sonic collagists, deliver on Hic Sunt Leones their 8th solo album, released at the same time with their celebrated "Vayu Rouah" collaboration with Alio Die. Aglaia returns again with their truly unique motionless sound wonderfully capturing the essence of fantastic late night journey through the woodlands, their pure electronic soundscapes are very personal, intimate and deeply evocative. "After Midnight" and "Hyperborea" are first two pieces with tranquilly circling ambience, perfectly setting meditative atmosphere for this idyllic and picturesque night trip. "Milosis" is enriched with few glitchy, hissy and strange sounds, with some of them reminiscent of voices- or cicadas-like sounds and with its sound painting it evokes the magic of nocturnal wildlife. "Centrum Terrae" slips into wonderfully drifting and rotating ethereal mode, just like the following "Celephais", with slightly gloomier touch, but again a truly fantabulous travel into the dreamlands!!! Highly imaginative "Tupia" floats in the more environmental terrain, but remaining very deep and dark, definitely another standout piece here! "Amneran Land" sounds lighter with echoed watery sounds and even if quite cavernous, it's still warmly organic and breathing, one of the most tranquil and splendid passages of the album. "Aurora" brings the album at its end into more mysterious, but dawn panoramic sceneries. "Nights In Nubiland" is richly and distinctively sculpted sonic travelogue displaying refined and infinite artistry of these admired and talented Italians. And on the top of that, Aglaia's gracious soundscapes are beautifully exhibit by 6-panel digipak containing stunning photographies by Sara Luciani, Veronica Marioli and Alberto Mari. Album "Nights In Nubiland" is magnificently natural and captivating listening experience, it's fully rewarding if you explore all its hidden treasures!!!

Richard Gürtler (Sep 24, 2011, Bratislava, Slovakia)