Author Topic: Tiny House Blog  (Read 3163 times)

hdibrell

• View Profile
Tiny House Blog
« on: October 26, 2011, 12:57:26 PM »
I don't know if anyone is interested in this sort of thing, but I've been following the Tiny House Blog (tinyhouseblog.com) for quite some time now and find it fascinating.  The idea of downsizing and living more effeciently really apeals to me. I have yet to convince my better half , though.  ::)
Never regret money spent on old books, old dogs or old friends.

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
Re: Tiny House Blog
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 12:58:59 PM »
I've been reading that blog daily for a few months. I don't have any interest in trying to live in a 300 square foot cabin, but I think we can all learn lessons from the kind of voluntary simplicity ideas on display there.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 01:06:32 PM »
I've been reading that blog daily for a few months. I don't have any interest in trying to live in a 300 square foot cabin, but I think we can all learn lessons from the kind of voluntary simplicity ideas on display there.
I think I could do it if it was just me, but the idea of banging into another person all of the time doesn't appeal. I like having my own space. My brother and his wife have a cabin in the mountains of western North Carolina that is about 750 square feet. I think Kathy and I would be very comfortable in a place that size. I'm like you , though, I think there is a lot we can learn and put into practice from sites like this. I know that since I've been reading this site and experiencing the drought here in Texas , I have gotten much more conscious of how much water I use.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 08:51:55 PM by hdibrell »

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 01:49:28 PM »
Thanks for pointing this blog out, Harrry.
Kinda thing I'm interested in too.
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 01:57:45 PM »
I suppose another inspiring aspect to that blog is not just all the people simplifying their lives, but in a more general sense all the stories about people re-evaluating their priorities and deciding to make drastic changes to let them live in a way that works better for them. I find the "here are pictures of my tiny house on wheels" stories interesting, but not as much as the stories of people transforming their whole live by making fundamental changes.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 02:01:27 PM »
Its also interesting to see these things and consider a second, smaller residence that you could later retire to and use for a break now.
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 03:30:21 PM »
As one who lives in a relatively small space, I'd have to say that it isn't easy (though it's nice not to get high utility bills).  A choir director I worked with few years back lived on a small houseboat.  It made me sea sick, until she gave me one of those magic wristbands (which really do work)

Forrest

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 08:50:56 PM »
I suppose another inspiring aspect to that blog is not just all the people simplifying their lives, but in a more general sense all the stories about people re-evaluating their priorities and deciding to make drastic changes to let them live in a way that works better for them. I find the "here are pictures of my tiny house on wheels" stories interesting, but not as much as the stories of people transforming their whole live by making fundamental changes.
I have to agree with that! The way people have re-evaluated their lives and made significant changes is what inspires me with these stories, as well.

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 09:36:40 AM »
I suppose another inspiring aspect to that blog is not just all the people simplifying their lives, but in a more general sense all the stories about people re-evaluating their priorities and deciding to make drastic changes to let them live in a way that works better for them.

Going small does seem to make an affirmative statement about our materialistic, consumer-driven culture.  To keep my space manageable, I've tried focusing on a few things that can be controlled incrementally, like the size of music collections and space for newspapers, books and magazines.  Limitations force you to make choices, which can be a good thing.

Forrest

Mark Mushet

• View Profile
    • Mark Mushet Photography
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2011, 11:23:47 AM »
Going small does seem to make an affirmative statement about our materialistic, consumer-driven culture.  To keep my space manageable, I've tried focusing on a few things that can be controlled incrementally, like the size of music collections and space for newspapers, books and magazines.  Limitations force you to make choices, which can be a good thing.

In Vancouver, 600 sq. ft. is a typical condo size. For one person, as long as essential amenities and social and cultural facilities are nearby, this is totally fine. For a couple/family? Not so much.

I find a well laid out space of that size (mine is around 675 including a balcony) is fine...plus there's room for 2000 CDs and a reasonable number of books!

PS, Forrest, thanks for the CDs you sent awhile back. Much appreciated! I wasn't sure if I'd gotten back to you to say thanks.

Julio Di Benedetto

• Life is a privilege, not a right!
    • View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2011, 04:45:53 PM »
I just love that blog...thanks for posting it Harry.

For years I have had on again off again "interest" in Airstream Trailers, it started when I first got this LP...

Have this idea of creating a little Airstream compound, perhaps 3 in a U shape, garden in the middle, etc....not sure if I could live in just one.  Where is the studio going to go?

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2011, 04:53:00 PM »
Was such a great album title for that image.
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2011, 05:20:15 PM »

Have this idea of creating a little Airstream compound, perhaps 3 in a U shape, garden in the middle, etc....not sure if I could live in just one.  Where is the studio going to go?
I had a similar idea, Julio. Mine was two airstreams in an "L" shape. The main one was for living and in the second I would strip out the living and kitchen area for my studio and the bedroom and bath would be for guests. In the middle of the L would be my barbecuing area and garden.

Julio Di Benedetto

• Life is a privilege, not a right!
    • View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2011, 05:48:26 PM »
Was such a great album title for that image.

Classic Joel Meyerowitz picture, or is it William Eggelston, either way.....yes Anthony, a classic coming to together of music, concept & image.  I especially like the reverse lp side of all the musicians stuffed tight into the album title.  Notice how the record label is almost a smug....right, sorry, get off topic here.

I had a similar idea, Julio. Mine was two airstreams in an "L" shape. The main one was for living and in the second I would strip out the living and kitchen area for my studio and the bedroom and bath would be for guests. In the middle of the L would be my barbecuing area and garden.

Excellent Harry......I like your idea better...I missed the BBQ part of the vision.  Let me know when it comes together and Ill be right over...Cheers

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2011, 09:52:24 PM »
Great!! You'll be my first guest.  8)

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2011, 08:35:58 PM »
Where is the studio going to go?

That's always my first question whenever I think about going small. I've considered this question quite a lot lately, mostly because of my desire to live close to work and the only places within my budget would be under 1000 sqft. Right now my place is abut 1500 sqft and its a bit big for me. I think about 400 sqft is what I would need just for my studio needs, I've thought about getting a smaller home and then adding a second out building for the studio.

As an aside, HGTV use to have a show called Small Space, Big Style, they use to show some pretty amazing places all under 1000 sqft, some might even fit in the tiny homes blog. It appears to be off the air now, too bad. I guess mega McMansions are more popular with the masses.
Take care.

- Loren Nerell