Author Topic: Robert Rich: Medicine Box (2011)  (Read 3144 times)

Poaalpina

• View Profile
Robert Rich: Medicine Box (2011)
« on: November 04, 2011, 05:16:34 PM »
Ambient DNA

Robert Logan

• View Profile
Re: Robert Rich: Medicine Box (2011)
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 08:42:55 PM »
I'm glad a thread has been made for this.

I've ordered my copy. The samples are all good, but 'Kaaruwana' is simply sublime. What heavenly music! I wasn't so sure about the vocals in Ylang, but here they take you somewhere very special.

Looking forward to others' impressions, and I'll post mine when it arrives.

richardgurtler

• View Profile
    • My Discogs profile and shop
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 01:16:00 PM »
Just arrived today and giving first few spins to "Medicine Box" CD, it's magnificently organic and evocative sonic journey!!! Robert Rich (with his guests) returns again at the very top of his tribal/world fusion/ambient wizardry!!! Looking forward to more explorations of his medicine...

Richard

mystified

• View Profile
    • Mystified Homepage
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 01:33:29 PM »
It's a good album. A step up, actually, from Ylang, I believe. The songs have a lot of integrity.
Thomas Park
Mystified / Mister Vapor

Robert Logan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 06:04:51 PM »
I hate to sound negative, but in a similar way to Ylang, I'm finding this a bit difficult to get into. 'Kaaruwana' still sounds stunning, as do one or two other tracks. In fact, there are sublime moments and some beautiful melodic turns in this, and thankfully it is a more striking listen than Ylang. Generally, however, it's not nearly deep-amospheric or minimal enough for me to enjoy in a 'let it wash over you' kind of way, and it's a little too predictable and meandering for me to enjoy in the way I enjoy more 'active' music, if that makes any sense. The tracks kind of 'go' from start to finish in exactly the manner I'd expect them to. I agree with mystified, though; the pieces do have a lot of integrity, and Robert Rich obviously put a lot of care into this album. The production is as beautiful and as subtle as ever, and the music has real character. Hopefully it'll grow on me. 

« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 09:55:50 AM by Robert Logan »

Poaalpina

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2011, 01:24:23 PM »
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 01:38:24 PM by Poaalpina »
Ambient DNA

Robert Logan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 09:46:40 AM »
What do others make of this release? I'd be interested in some more in-depth opinions now that it's been out for a while. I feel the same way about it on the whole - though the last track has grown on me a huge amount.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 02:47:03 PM by Robert Logan »

richardgurtler

• View Profile
    • My Discogs profile and shop
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 11:43:59 AM »
Hi Robert, in case you haven't read my review of "Medicine Box" CD, here is the link and feel free to explore my feelings about it:

http://www.hypnos.com/smf/index.php?topic=4449.0

All the best and enjoy the music... :)

Richard

mystified

• View Profile
    • Mystified Homepage
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 11:50:24 AM »
I am still listening-- it's on my mp3 player, in with the other tracks on "Shuffle". That's actually kind of a compliment.

I like the dub qualities of the tracks.

I want it to sound like Robert's work, and it does-- it seems like the criticisms are about the very things that make it consistent (the female-voice guitar, familiar modular elements, tonal structure, and so forth).

I think this cd is a good test to see if you are tired of Roberts' oevre. I for one am not.
Thomas Park
Mystified / Mister Vapor

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2012, 04:29:20 PM »
Just listen to the old stuff. ;D

9dragons

• The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
    • View Profile
    • The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2012, 03:07:49 PM »
I've purchased many of Robert Rich's albums, though not all. Early on I saw that he had a dark ambient, minimal side, and a new age side. Listening to albums like Stalker and Troubled Resting Place firmly established me as a fan of Rich, and I even purchased his new age albums, and enjoyed them. Around the realease of Elecrtic Ladder, I started to get turned off to the new age side, and couldn't listen to these works. Though I did cherish Temple of the Invisible. I think at this time Robert is establishing a prime style, a fusion of everything he does into one album. Though there is no denying the exquisite production, and the beauty of the sound, I find it much too homogenized, too luke warm. Ylang at first was very inspiring to me, then my interest dropped off, and I never went back to it. I'm sorry to say I won't pick up Medicine Box after listening to the samples, as I think the same problem will arise. As Robert Rich crystallizes and perfects his technique, and is able to smoothly blend so many elements, I become less and less interested. But I wouldn't say that this is not wonderful music, I have just personally lost the thread. It's not 'world music' enough to make me want to listen to it rather than my more traditional 'world' music, and it doesn't attract me in its other elements, primarily the beats. Is it trying to do too much in one album? It feels much too smoothed out for me. I don't enjoy being even slightly critical of Robert Rich, who I have great respect for, but I wonder if others out there have been following his music beyond their personal interest, enjoying the elements that they used to like, but not getting much out of it ultimately?

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2012, 11:16:14 AM »
9 Dragons, I agree with you about following the music but not getting as much out of it these days.  Whereas in the past I would have been foaming at the mouth with anticipation for a new RR album, these days my excitement is considerably less.  I have not ordered Medicine Box either and it's on the bottom of my "must buy" list.  Like I said in an earlier post, I think artists hit a creative peak and then have a dropoff period.  Not that I don't think his music is still good, but comparing it to his past glories there is no comparison.   As for "new age," can't agree with you on that one.  I am assuming you are referring to albums like "Rainforest"?  I never thought of RR as being deserving of that unfashionable title.  I would say some of his more structured, world music has been more "commercial" sounding, but not in a NA way.  I definitely didn't think Electric Ladder was new age.  But back to Ylang and Medicine Box--I'd say this is a phase he's going through, much like Steve Roach's guitar phase, and I don't think he'll stay stuck in it forever.  He's still a young guy and there will be many more albums I'm sure.  You never know, he may come out with a "Trances and Drones 2" some day.   

Altus

• View Profile
    • Altus - aural journeys for the mind's eye
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2012, 05:27:52 PM »
You never know, he may come out with a "Trances and Drones 2" some day.
We can only hope.   8)
Mike Carss -- Altus : aural journeys for the mind's eye
www.altusmusic.ca