Author Topic: CDs, bye-bye  (Read 4315 times)

drone on

• View Profile
Re: CDs, bye-bye
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2011, 01:09:18 PM »
In my office (day job, I mean) there are at least 3 employees who immediately print EVERY email as soon as they receive it, and only then read it to determine what to do with it. If they email out a joke to 20 people, and 10 of them email back "Ha!" or "that was funny!" they print out all ten one-liner emails individually, read the printouts, then throw them away. The crazy thing is that two of these individuals don't have a printer at their desk, so they print these messages to a networked printer and have to walk across the office to retrieve the printouts (or more often, leave them sitting there until someone else delivers the printouts).

What was that joke about, "Get me a hard copy of the internet, please?"
Mike, those three people should be fired immediately (for wasting paper and company time walking to retrieve printouts of jokes)  ;D

SunDummy

• "Calm seas do not create good mariners."
    • View Profile
    • SunDummy.com
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2011, 10:25:37 AM »
I suspect that the packaging for ipods, etc. (and the materials to make them) is not greater than the materials for cds, LPs, etc. but I could be wrong.

There is no contest between, say, a CD digipack in a light wrap vs. virtually any hard plastic encased, plastic insert nestled iPod. Even the little ear buds are way overdone in terms of packaging. Then there's the retail floorspace now dedicated to the marketing of such things.

Now, as CD/DVD sales move online, more packaging is required and more transportation infrastructure and energy is used in the music retail industry equivalent of the single occupancy vehicle multiple trip model!

True; but I have one ipod, and thousands of CDs.  Hell, just weight them:  one fully packaged ipod vs. thousands of fully packaged CDs.  Of course, I have to account for the PC too; but that's offset by the CD deck, and I have the PC for other purposes too.  Is downloading perfectly green?  Hell no, but I do think it's greener than shipping/making CDs, LPs, etc.  Manufacturing, shipping, and displaying a CD + me driving to the store to get it, vs. a download:  seems clear.
I wish I was a Glowworm; a Glowworm's never glum. 'Cause how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?

www.sundummy.com

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2011, 01:10:42 PM »
When music becomes just a "file," when there are no more DVD's or movie theaters, the machines have won.  Calling John Connor!   

Mark Mushet

• View Profile
    • Mark Mushet Photography
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2011, 03:23:58 PM »
I have one ipod, and thousands of CDs. Is downloading perfectly green?  Hell no, but I do think it's greener than shipping/making CDs, LPs, etc.  Manufacturing, shipping, and displaying a CD + me driving to the store to get it, vs. a download:  seems clear.

I think we're headed for more of a cottage industry model for CD manufacturing in any case. I have an iPod 32gb Touch that was given to me. I like it. But one good drop and it all goes away. Then I'll have to have had another device or two as back-up.
In reality, like so many technologies, these things are not so much replaced as they become another layer in the great swelling techno-midden. I was recently in rural Washington state and came across displays of commercial music cassettes in gas stations!

zzzone.net

• a numbers station ||| zzzone.net
    • View Profile
    • zzzone.net
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2011, 05:38:42 AM »
Geez...if cassettes and vinyl are still being made, I doubt seriously that CDs will stop being made any time soon.

Practically all ambient music CDs could be considered a special edition.

For me it's more about the music than it is about the package.  With the advent of files, my music listening has increased dramatically.

If CD production was to cease, I would still be left with a huge library that would definitely get me through the rest of my life.

I'm sure everyone has noticed how most new audio products come with network capabilities making files easier to handle and play.

Streaming music services such as Spotify allow the subscriber (free or premium) to basically access a library far beyond what any one person could ever hope to purchase.

Google Music Service Beta allows me to upload several tens of thousands of files to the cloud which I can access from my phone or Android tablet anywhere I am with internet access.

As far as packaging goes, there's a lot less packaging from the purchase of files.

The future is the future...and I will be there...for a while :)