Author Topic: My review of "Ten To Eleven" CDr by Phillip Wilkerson  (Read 825 times)

richardgurtler

• View Profile
    • My Discogs profile and shop
My review of "Ten To Eleven" CDr by Phillip Wilkerson
« on: November 13, 2011, 04:18:20 AM »

Phillip Wilkerson "Ten To Eleven" CDr

Florida based composer Phillip Wilkerson belongs to more productive ambient artists with longer list of albums, EPs and singles released during the last 5 years. Most of them were released as downloads, but lately some of them are available on CDr format, which is definitely a good news for all of us, die-hard fans of physical products. As for myself, I got in contact with Phillip's soundworlds not long time ago through his heavenly floating ambience on collaborative album with Jourdan Laik entitled "A Dimension Reflected", released in April 2011 on Lotuspike under Time Being project's name. At the beginning of October 2011, Phillip returned again, this time with his brand new solo CDr album, "Ten To Eleven" (mastered by Ben Cox of Lotuspike, photography by Jourdan Laik). Phillip is known for his beautifully relaxing sound sculpting and his newest work is no exception. "All Possible Worlds" unfold the album in absolutely beautiful manner with wall of tranquil free floating and majestic cloudscapes capturing the beauty of skies, a truly picturesque music!!! These warmly inviting tunes overlap into the next piece, "Saturday", but they are attractively enriched by some delicate saxophone-infused sounds. They add brand new dimension to Phil's washes, taking them into more cinematic level. A really nice, captivating composition! Enchanting sonics are explored also on "Complex Silence 15", another warmly floating synth washes while the next composition, "The Heart Has Reasons" is a bit deeper and growing, gradually evolving, but still strongly aerial with emotional drifts to mesmerize the listener. "Blue By Violet" with its serene melancholic drones create a truly evocative and longing feelings bringing back the memories of the legendary "The Lost Pieces". "The Name Within My Heart" is another beautifully waving journey that guides the listener through peace and tranquillity. The next composition, "The Way Home", creates a bit of mystery, yet still idyllically rests on pillowy clouds of immersing synth drifts. Shorter "An Ending (Is A Beginning)" with slightly thicker drones closes finely this strongly imaginative album. The flowing essence of "Ten To Eleven" will undoubtedly relax you, it's highly recommended!!! As stated by the artist and the title of closing piece, "Ten To Eleven" marks an ending and a new beginning in his solo career, so let's wait and see what sonic paintings Phillip Wilkerson will bring to us during 2012.

Richard Gürtler (Nov 12, 2011, Bratislava, Slovakia)