Author Topic: My review of "Journey Of One" 2xCD by Steve Roach  (Read 1330 times)

richardgurtler

• View Profile
    • My Discogs profile and shop
My review of "Journey Of One" 2xCD by Steve Roach
« on: November 20, 2011, 07:50:37 AM »

Steve Roach "Journey Of One" 2xCD

"Journey Of One" double CD, with official street date at November 8th, 2011 by Projekt, is absolutely essential live recording documenting Steve Roach's rich tribal-ambient era during the 90's when milestone works like "Artifacts" or "Origins" were created and numerous legendary co-works were born, with Robert Rich ("Strata", "Soma"), with Jorge Reyes and Suso Saiz, under Suspended Memories project name ("Forgotten Gods", "Earth Island"), with Vidna Obmana ("Well Of Souls") as well as with Michael Stearns and Ron Sunsinger ("Kiva"). Plenty of groundbreaking recordings, so I couldn't wait to explore this archived recording from November 8th, 1996, in Sacramento, California. Packaged in beautiful 6-panel digipak with magically looking ancient cover image that immediately raised my eyebrows. The double set, featuring 14 untitled tracks, reveals the odyssey with bullroarer that invites us to fully experience this spectacular live show. Textured desert soundscapes are soon joined by gently gradual tribal percussions and distant vocalizations. I immediately close my eyes and transport myself into the venue to be a part of these magically timeless realms. I am there with the audience and with the Master, the journey continues... Vast ethnographic ambience at its most evocative level!!! And soon Steve raises his didgeridoo to join these ancient sculptings, other exotic ethnic instrumens are here to bridge the reality with primordials. Later on some femme voices and whispers are added to color this spiraling ride with larger dose of cavernous sounds explored. Crispy bells and slowly arising heavy thundering beats are ready to steal the show... A true avalanche of rich and organic sonic mysteries to capture purely ecstatic live experience, one of its kind magic!!! Some voice mastery and slowly fading away intimate panoramas gracefully close the first set. The only intermission occurs when moving to the second disc, but the journey continues again to sink deeper into Steve's distinctive mythological stories, intensely absorbing and powerful journey heading to the forefront of electroacoustic adventures!!! Steve's highly imaginative soundscapes are enriched with more massive trancey-tribal rhythms and create a truly mesmerizing effect. Immersing didgeridoo magic returns again and leads to another deeply evocative drones and voices alternating with gentle tribal beats or more frenetic rhythm parts. Crystalline cybergrooves join the stage too, on 5th piece, wonderfully midtempo-driven ambient music that most likely later led to phenomenal and evolutive works like "Core" or "Blood Machine" (with Vir Unis). Next composition is another absolutely entertaining and dramatic piece of music that could be easily described as soundtrack to "Crocodile Dundee" film series, an amazing sonic travelogue taking the listener across the time into aboriginal Australia, the homeland of wooden trumpet. Immensely atmospheric epilogue magnificently closes this highly spiritual and emotional live movement and adventure, a document that proves unlimited power and virtuosity of Steve Roach, a true sonic traveler!!! Steve Roach was born to enrich this world with his pioneering sonic visions and he succeeds in his mission with every of his works!!! Even if "Journey Of One", I was journeying too, thank you, Steve, for taking me with you to Sacramento!!! I only wish I could turn up the volume of my home audio system much higher for maximum effect, but our neighbors wouldn't be very happy probably...

Richard Gürtler (Nov 20, 2011, Bratislava, Slovakia)

drone on

• View Profile
Re: My review of "Journey Of One" 2xCD by Steve Roach
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 02:20:42 AM »
Perfect review.  Turn it up!!!

richardgurtler

• View Profile
    • My Discogs profile and shop
Re: My review of "Journey Of One" 2xCD by Steve Roach
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 09:10:38 AM »
Thank you, drone on, I really appreciate your feedback!!!

Richard