Author Topic: Steve Roach 2012 Box Set  (Read 6335 times)

Poaalpina

• View Profile
Re: Steve Roach 2012 Box Set
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2011, 01:56:56 PM »
Steve Roach кому: мне
   Показать детали 7:51 (2 мин. назад)    

On 12/13/11 11:39 AM, "Andrey Ex_Plextor_man" <poaalpina@gmail.com> wrote:

Andrey,

This should not be at this site, we just sent a take down note. They are legle but never get the price right 2.75 for a full album?!!

Thanks!

Steve

:-[ Shame on me! i fed pirates...
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 03:00:38 PM by Poaalpina »

sio

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2011, 04:19:34 PM »
I am sorry i sent this link in the first place, wasn't aware of the disagreement between Projekt/Steve and Juno. They are no pirates for sure, but a well established online store in the UK. I wonder how they managed to get the album in its entirety in the first place.

Update: I have removed the link.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 05:30:22 PM by sio »

Poaalpina

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2011, 05:00:50 PM »
Good news! Steve starts shipping  boxes today.  :)

False Mirror

• View Profile
    • False Mirror
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2011, 11:56:25 AM »
Honestly I've grown more and more disenchanted by Steve's music these past few years, whereas before I would buy anything he produced and love it (except for the tribal stuff). 
I miss his space/drone ambient work.

Anyone in the same boat?  Or have I simply become jaded...   ;D
Unfortunately I have to agree. Although I love his music, the last releases lacked a bit of innovation in my opinion. I always think I've heard the same pad/sound in 20 other Steve Roach tracks before. I guess Steve should risk experimenting more. Last release I really loved and which was much innovative in my point of view was "Terraform" with Loren Nerell.

headonist

• trawling around
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2011, 04:58:59 PM »
Has anyone received their copy yet? Opinions?

Poaalpina

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2011, 06:49:35 AM »
headonist, still nothing. But the shipping to Russia - 2-3 weeks. So next week i hope.

headonist

• trawling around
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2011, 11:37:26 AM »
I've pre-ordered a copy too. But I can't help myself, I already downloaded it to see what it is about ;)

While I'm not too keen on Groove Immersion. Back To Life is really beautiful. Like a better Sigh of Ages, or perhaps slightly below Dynamic Stillness (which I rate very highly). It has this etheric/symphonic sound that appeals to me alot. The first track is wonderful, Where Rasa Lives. But on the whole a very good effort from what I can tell already.

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2011, 02:22:44 PM »
I've pre-ordered a copy too. But I can't help myself, I already downloaded it to see what it is about ;)

While I'm not too keen on Groove Immersion. Back To Life is really beautiful. Like a better Sigh of Ages, or perhaps slightly below Dynamic Stillness (which I rate very highly). It has this etheric/symphonic sound that appeals to me alot. The first track is wonderful, Where Rasa Lives. But on the whole a very good effort from what I can tell already.
I agree. I also downloaded both and am having a tough time getting into Groove Immersion but am really enjoying Back To Life. It's not a groundbreaking work by Steve, but is definitely getting a lot of playing time with me.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 02:28:35 PM by hdibrell »
Never regret money spent on old books, old dogs or old friends.

richardgurtler

• View Profile
    • My Discogs profile and shop
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2011, 02:06:28 AM »
"Back To Life" is a true masterwork!!! Time to explore "Groove Immersion"...

Have a wonderful end of the old year and beginning of the new one... :)

Richard

Poaalpina

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2011, 09:35:33 PM »
richardgurtler
"Groove Immersion" is fantastic!  :) The best album of this year for me.

richardgurtler

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2011, 01:03:25 AM »
"Groove Immersion" is fantastic!  :) The best album of this year for me.

Hi Andrey, I still have to explore "Groove Immersion", because so far I was strongly focusing on "Back To Life". For me, this 2CD aspires for the best album of 2011 (or 2012?). No matter, if we melt our tastes, we get totally packed Box Set. Speaking about "Back To LIfe", it's a quite minimal "at the first look", but this journey features many "hidden" amazing sounds and atmospheres, all fragilely and serenely interplaying and moving just like the droplets from the album's cover image. A recording that showcases unlimited creativity and invention. I think it's just a question of time before both these groundbreaking recordings become another milestone in Steve's career. Yes, a truly genius performance by The Master, and for me, a truly magnificent and immersing listening experience!!!

All the best and keep on enjoying the music... :)

Richard

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2011, 07:31:53 PM »
How could I not order the box after Richard's glowing praise of Back To Life !

The samples were very good too.  :)
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

Poaalpina

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2011, 09:16:29 PM »
Review by richardgurtler Dec 29, 2011
Steve Roach "Back To Life" 2xCD

Big comeback of Steve Roach? But did he ever leave? No, definitely not a comeback, but certainly a big one!!! No question about this, because "Back To Life" double CD presents The Master at the very top of his unmeasurable creativity and invention. Together with "Groove Immersion" it comprises "Steve Roach 2012 Box Set", so a very hot item. Both these titles are sold also separately, but missing this box set in my own collection would be a big mistake. "Where Rasa Lives" fires the show with gracefully floating ambience clocking to 15-minute mark, but after 9 minutes "hidden" crystalline grooves enter the stage. On the first "look" it sounds quite minimal, but careful listening explores all kinds of sounds and atmospheres, all interacting precisely, carefully balanced and graciously moving just like the droplets on the album's cover image (absolutely gorgeous work by Kristina Kotarski, the hellfirediva!!!). "Where Rasa Lives" is one of the best and most tranquil pieces of music Steve ever did (and he did a whole bunch of them!), a pure symphony for my ears!!! "Cloud Cover" lives and breathes, again packed with amazing sounds and noises, Steve's soundsculpting shifts this composition into another level, a level solely occupied by him now! It's heavy thunderous piece that smoothly transfers after 6 minutes into serenely drifting washes peppered by some highly attractive noisier ingredients. The title of the next track speaks for itself, "Tranquility Base". Gently pulsing slow-mo trancey/tribal grooves join the show for another truly exciting, one of its kind, sonic pleasure. It's ultra deeply absorbing 16-minute bliss!!! "The Wonder Of It All" moves back to louder plateau with more monstrous, spiraling dronescapes, powerful and grandeur, another top-notch adventure!!! The next composition, "Touchstones", strikes with its intesity and drama. And it keeps on rolling, because "Everything Inside" is breathtaking odyssey into the deep cave to explore its stunningly spectacular sceneries. Steve at his most droning!!! And the title track is yet to come... The closing part of disc 1, "Back To Life" keeps on the route, less massive, but still quite symphonic and later uplifted with fragile groovy flavours. Absolutely grandiose finale of the first half!!! Disc 2 features 70-minute long form composition breathing with many of the finest spices from the first disc and creating continuous flow of deeply absorbing ambience drifting through richly colored organic passages and movements, again showcasing refined artistry of its virtuoso. The future is now!!! "Back To Life" 2xCD is without any doubt one of the best and most groundbreaking recordings of 2011 (or 2012?). No matter, I think it's just a question of time before "Back To Life" will become another milestone not only in Steve's phenomenal career, but also in the ambient genre as a whole. Yes, a truly genius, all-inclusive, performance by this ambient giant, and for me, a truly magnificent and immersing lifelong sonic experience!!! Life is so beautiful!!!

Richard Gürtler (Dec 29, 2011, Bratislava, Slovakia) Discogs

dreamin4ever

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2011, 02:10:15 PM »
Finally ordered the box set the other day. Although I received a copy from a good friend, I cant wait to receive my box set. I have every album, video's from Steve. I have listened to Back to Life twice already. Groove just the first 15 minutes. Will get into groove tonight when I have more time to explore. Then off to Mojave desert New Years Day evening for some star gazing with Steve Roach & Tangerine Dream music in the background. Thats how I can really get into the sound currents without any interuptions. Too much distraction with the family at home. Chill.

richardgurtler

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2011, 05:08:12 PM »
Finally ordered the box set the other day. Although I received a copy from a good friend, I cant wait to receive my box set. I have every album, video's from Steve. I have listened to Back to Life twice already. Groove just the first 15 minutes. Will get into groove tonight when I have more time to explore. Then off to Mojave desert New Years Day evening for some star gazing with Steve Roach & Tangerine Dream music in the background. Thats how I can really get into the sound currents without any interuptions. Too much distraction with the family at home. Chill.

Hi dreamin4ever!!! It sounds absolutely wonderful, enjoy your New Year's Day evening dreaming!!!

Richard

Robert Logan

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2012, 05:22:44 AM »
'Back to Life' is the best solo Steve Roach album I have heard in a while. It's not particularly different to what we've heard from him many times before, but it sounds very rich and it opens up parts of my soul in the way only great Steve Roach releases can. Where I have found some of his newer releases of this ilk a little lacking or raw in sound and detail, 'Back to Life' is deep and sonorous.

DeepR

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2012, 02:53:57 PM »
Dream Tracker, The Desert Inbetween and The Road Eternal are all very, very good recent releases.
I like the more active side of his music a lot more than his solo and purely atmospheric works of recent years.
Mystic Chords & Sacred Spaces set the bar too high I guess. Nothing can compare to that one yet, IMO.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 02:55:33 PM by DeepR »