Author Topic: Prometheus (aka Alien prequel) by Ridley Scott June 2012  (Read 9283 times)

Altus

• View Profile
    • Altus - aural journeys for the mind's eye
Re: Prometheus (aka Alien prequel) by Ridley Scott June 2012
« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2012, 06:54:16 AM »
Saw it yesterday. I loved it, yet was disappointed by it. My main gripe was the characters and their inconsistencies (Bill mentioned this).
Despite being just over two hours, the pacing of the film felt like an hour had been cut out. Aside from a few roles, character development was shallow at best. There were the "good" guys and "bad" guys, but their alliances weren't completely explained. I have no problem if they didn't explain it to keep you guessing, but the way it was portrayed felt like bad writing.

In spite of all this, if you have any interest in the film, definitely go see it. While it does leave many questions unanswered, it DOES answer the question I had ever since I watched the original Alien film so many years ago. That alone was worth the price of admission.

**********  WARNING: HERE BE SPOILERS **********

An example of inconsistent characters:
Take the two who were left in the pyramid (what they called it) when the storm arrived. At first, they reacted in a realistic manner when they found the bodies stacked in the hallway. Then they entered the storage room containing the oozing vases, and the mutated worms came. Now one of the characters is completely fearless, practically begging to be killed like an idiot in a horror movie.

Another example is when David has Shaw on the table, telling her she's pregnant, and then sedates her. She wakes to find two people prepping her for hypersleep. She fights them off (why didn't they give chase?) and uses the auto-surgery machine to remove the alien.
Then she returns to find David and some others, who seem completely okay that she escaped. In my opinion, this is a clear example of something that was left on the cutting room floor.

Another comment: While I love Guy Pearce in pretty much any other film, he can't play an old man to save his life...  ::)
Mike Carss -- Altus : aural journeys for the mind's eye
www.altusmusic.ca

einstein36

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2012, 10:32:15 AM »
Quite interesting, considering one of the writers, Damon Linderoff, who helped write the script for prometheus is now in consideration I read 2 days ago, one of the movie studios that is bringing the book, World War Z, as a movie is bringing him in to do almost a complete re-write probably costing the studio millions of dollars to do it...
Twitter: ImagineerR
Facebook: www.facebook.com/einstein36

Bill Binkelman

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2012, 03:53:06 PM »
Saw it yesterday. I loved it, yet was disappointed by it. My main gripe was the characters and their inconsistencies (Bill mentioned this).
Despite being just over two hours, the pacing of the film felt like an hour had been cut out. Aside from a few roles, character development was shallow at best. There were the "good" guys and "bad" guys, but their alliances weren't completely explained. I have no problem if they didn't explain it to keep you guessing, but the way it was portrayed felt like bad writing.

In spite of all this, if you have any interest in the film, definitely go see it. While it does leave many questions unanswered, it DOES answer the question I had ever since I watched the original Alien film so many years ago. That alone was worth the price of admission.

**********  WARNING: HERE BE SPOILERS **********

An example of inconsistent characters:
Take the two who were left in the pyramid (what they called it) when the storm arrived. At first, they reacted in a realistic manner when they found the bodies stacked in the hallway. Then they entered the storage room containing the oozing vases, and the mutated worms came. Now one of the characters is completely fearless, practically begging to be killed like an idiot in a horror movie.

Another example is when David has Shaw on the table, telling her she's pregnant, and then sedates her. She wakes to find two people prepping her for hypersleep. She fights them off (why didn't they give chase?) and uses the auto-surgery machine to remove the alien.
Then she returns to find David and some others, who seem completely okay that she escaped. In my opinion, this is a clear example of something that was left on the cutting room floor.

Another comment: While I love Guy Pearce in pretty much any other film, he can't play an old man to save his life...  ::)

THIS is one of the things that every review mentions as being laughably absurd. Shaw performs self-surgery (basically she performs a Caesarian  section on herself), and STAPLES (not sews) the incision and within a very short time (instead of a few days) is RUNNING around. Come on...seriously? How can I take any movie seriously when it has a scene like that?

I will likely see this when it comes to my neighborhood second run theater (the Riverview) since (a) it'll be cheap (3 bucks) and (b) the Riverview consistently wins "best theater" awards due to screen size, sound system, etc. so I wouldn't be slumming going there. But my expectations are so low now that it would have be as bad as Tim Burton's Planet of the Apes or Joel Schumacher's  Batman and Robin for me to be STILL disappointed in it. I now only look forward to the (always praised even in negative reviews) set design, FX, etc., i.e. the film LOOKS great supposedly. But from what I have read, Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone (one of my ultimate guilty pleasures) makes more sense from a narrative standpoint.
May the odds be ever in your favor.

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2012, 08:58:41 PM »
Damon Lindeloff is a total loser and whatever $ he got for this film was totally undeserved.  I, DRONE ON, could have written a better script and pleased the "deep thinkers" and the "teenage gore crowd" at the same time, and I would have done it for FREE!!!  Lindeloff along with the co-writer just simply RUINED this production.  But Ridley and 20th Century Fox have to take the blame as well for greenlighting such a horrid story/script.  See my full review tomorrow (I will create a separate thread so as not to spoil it for others who still plan to see it).  My review will also include a plot rewrite; basically, how I would have written it, plus I'll give some ideas for a way they can make up for this disaster in the sequel. 

SunDummy

• "Calm seas do not create good mariners."
    • View Profile
    • SunDummy.com
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2012, 09:36:49 PM »
I haven't seen it yet, but I found this interesting; this guy might be reading way, waaaaaaayy between the lines, but food for thought either way...

http://www.prometheusforum.net/discussion/comment/60452

I wish I was a Glowworm; a Glowworm's never glum. 'Cause how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?

www.sundummy.com

| broken harbour |

• View Profile
    • official website
« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2012, 07:51:16 PM »
I saw it last night, I liked it....sort of.

It felt like 2 movies smooshed together, the first half is all very 2001: ASO-ish with big grand cinematography and huge, gorgeous shots and sets.  Then halfway through it becomes a pretty standard squishy monster flick.

I felt that while it had some nice ideas and cool design, it squandered a ton of potential.

jdh

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2012, 09:56:04 PM »
I saw it tonight. The first 2 minutes are great,then it is all downhill.Story,plot,characters all horrible.
Some cool shots,sets,music was just OK.
There were several scenes where the audience outright laughed,not a good sign.A few even left.
Ridley embarrassed himself with this one.
Still,it got me out of the heat.

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2012, 04:28:31 AM »
Some heavy hearted reviews here - sad to see the original film classic devalued by the franchise.

I think I'll wait for the DVD release and see if it is as dissapointing as the 'The Thing' prequel - which I think did well in linking events in the 2 films but character development, plot and exploring the situations possibilities were woefully lazy and inadequate.

As for the Planet of the Apes reboot - I think the boot got stuck in the arsholes of the writers and totally destroyed the depth of the original.....

mystified

• View Profile
    • Mystified Homepage
« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2012, 05:06:45 AM »
I go in for landing tonight-- trying to keep an open mind.

Incidentally, just got Alien 1-4 on Bluray for about forty bucks at Amazon-- it's a nice boxed set, to remember the earlier films.
Thomas Park
Mystified / Mister Vapor

Julio Di Benedetto

• Life is a privilege, not a right!
    • View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2012, 10:48:43 AM »
Went to see it last night....still have it on my mind.  Stunning Visuals.  Mammoth production.  The usual amount of hollywood nonsense seem to get lost in the movie rather than being so obvious...a good thing.
All in all I enjoyed it.  Have to say the one link to the original Alien 1 movie that was messed up is the Super Human chases  Shaw after his spacecraft crashes  near the end of the movie.  In the first Alien the Superhuman is  found in the chair thing with its chest exploded out.  They were so close to putting the 2 movies together.  Must be to link up another movie yet to come other wise it just terrible continuity 

judd stephens

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 12, 2012, 04:20:29 PM »
Finally caught it today @ IMAX 3D matinee- wow.  It had a lot more thrills than bummers for me.  While I do agree with just about every critique people on this thread have already made, the enthusiasm has weathered just about everything.  I will post more of my thoughts and share in the critique on another thread in detail, but I left with a lot of curiosities running around as to this newly created world the movie inhabits, and wanting to watch it again. 

Altus

• View Profile
    • Altus - aural journeys for the mind's eye
« Reply #51 on: June 13, 2012, 04:10:05 AM »
Have to say the one link to the original Alien 1 movie that was messed up is the Super Human chases  Shaw after his spacecraft crashes  near the end of the movie.  In the first Alien the Superhuman is  found in the chair thing with its chest exploded out.
There's a good reason for this: It's not the same planet as Alien. They were on LV-223, not LV-426. ;D
Mike Carss -- Altus : aural journeys for the mind's eye
www.altusmusic.ca

Julio Di Benedetto

• Life is a privilege, not a right!
    • View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #52 on: June 13, 2012, 05:28:56 AM »
Have to say the one link to the original Alien 1 movie that was messed up is the Super Human chases  Shaw after his spacecraft crashes  near the end of the movie.  In the first Alien the Superhuman is  found in the chair thing with its chest exploded out.
There's a good reason for this: It's not the same planet as Alien. They were on LV-223, not LV-426. ;D

What!.......all that way and its the wrong planet.   :o