Author Topic: Prometheus (aka Alien prequel) by Ridley Scott June 2012  (Read 10214 times)

drone on

• View Profile
Prometheus (aka Alien prequel) by Ridley Scott June 2012
« on: December 12, 2011, 11:23:39 AM »
I am super stoked about this film, as "Alien" (1979) is in my Top 3 all-time faves.  I guess there a lot of fansites out there posting supposed storylines about the film, some of which have been confirmed fake by 20th Century Fox, but some of these sound really interesting nonetheless.  Considering it's Ridley's first sci-fi project in 30 years my hopes are really high, as he said he'd only revisit the genre if the story was really good.  I also read H.R. Giger's involved again, which is a really good thing IMO.  The lead actors in this are all excellent, too (Charlize Theron, Noomi Rapace, Michael Fassbender).   

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
Re: Prometheus (aka Alien prequel) by Ridley Scott June 2012
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 11:56:18 AM »
I'm pretty interested in this too. Generally Ridley Scott can still be trusted, I think.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

Antdude

• I was told there would be no math
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 01:46:50 PM »
I'm cautiously optimistic, as I've always been a fan of Ridley Scott's work(I met him at the Alien premiere in Los Angeles), and Alien is one of my all-time favorite films. I've been avoiding spoiler-riffic sites in order to let whatever the film's premise is just be a surprise, but I'm hoping that Scott's decision to wait this long to jump back into sci-fi will be worth the wait for a worthy sequel(prequel?).

I remember years ago, Scott said in an interview that he wouldn't mind being known as "the John Ford of science fiction." It's a shame that the commercial failures of 'Blade Runner' and 'Legend' soured him on that idea, but it's a testament to how strong his original vision was, that those films are still so powerful and influential more than 30 years later.

Let's hope it makes for a great summer next year.
There is no spoon. Which sucks because I have a pudding cup.

Altus

• View Profile
    • Altus - aural journeys for the mind's eye
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 05:17:06 AM »
Cautiously optimistic covers me as well.  I will refuse to read or watch anything about this film, and I'll go see regardless of what others are saying.
Here's hoping it doesn't suck.   :P
Mike Carss -- Altus : aural journeys for the mind's eye
www.altusmusic.ca

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 11:27:09 AM »
I'm jealous, Antdude (about meeting RS).  He seems like a really charming, interesting guy who would be great fun to have a conversation with. 

Anodize DB

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2011, 01:54:17 PM »
After a few teasers this past week, the Prometheus trailer has now dropped, and it looks absolutely bugfuck godlike! Can't even remotely temper my enthusiasm about this...the whole feel of the film truly seems to be, as Scott has put it, epic, and if this is evidence of the final product...watch out, world!

Already been an interesting week for cinematic teasers, what with trailers for The Hobbit & The Dark Knight Rises also bowing, and both of those look stunning as well. Wife & I are going to see Mission Impossible in IMAX this Saturday night, and I'm psyched both for that & the TDKR footage.

2012's obviously going to be a big year, film-wise.
DARREN BERGSTEIN
> Anodize / tactile visual audio /  www.anodizesound.com / www.otperiphery.com
> Groupthink / wayward electroacoustic murmurings / www.groupthinksounds.com
> e: anodizesound@verizon.net

judd stephens

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2011, 02:22:51 PM »
Prometheus Trailer - Official TRUE HD

Dave Michuda

• View Profile
    • Low Light Mixes
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2011, 04:50:32 PM »
Darren,

MI:4 in Imax ought to be awesome.  I had a hard time watching the skyscraper scenes at a normal ultra screen.  Can't imagine what an Imax will be like.   Of course I pretty squirm like a little girl at heights anyway. 

MI:4 was good, a lot of fun.  They played the Dark Knight trailer right before it & that looked pretty darn good.

judd stephens

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2011, 08:52:23 PM »
I commented this on facebook so I'm pasting here.  It's based on the above trailer, and how there was some speculation on whether this is really an Alien prequel or not.  Basically I think it's a separate story, but vaguely ties in toward the end... perhaps gives room for further stories that could bridge it more?  Hard to say.

hey guys, just checked this trailer again. If you pause it at 0:45, you'll notice the same console as the "Space Jockey" that was fossilized with the chest erupted in the first Alien movie. Then, at 0:55, you see what looks just like the derilect spacecraft from the outside (same Alien1 movie) that was sending out the S.O.S. What this tells me is maybe it leads up toward the events that begin Alien, but hardly a true prequel in the sense of much character continuity and a reasonable time elapse- in other words it's about as much of a prequel as "Ong Bak 2" was to Ong Bak, the Thai Warrior if you ever saw those fine action flicks.

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2011, 11:33:45 AM »
That Prometheus trailer is frickin awesome!!!

I think this could be the best space movie ever from a visual standpoint.  Keeping fingers crossed...counting down to June...

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2011, 03:24:12 PM »
Yep, looking forward to this one for sure.
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

Hypnagogue

• Let's do music.
    • View Profile
    • Hypnagogue Reviews
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2011, 07:07:18 AM »
Over at io9.com they did a frame breakdown of the trailer. Lots of good detail to be had:

http://io9.com/5870560/frame+by+frame-breakdown-of-the-prometheus-trailer-who-is-that-man/gallery/1
Hypnagogue Reviews
one listener's opinion on new music
hypnagoguereviews.wordpress.com
Hypnagogue Podcast
hypnagoguepodcast.wordpress.com

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2011, 10:56:32 PM »
Thanks for posting frame breakdown.  The trailer zips by so fast I had to keep pausing it to see anything.  I believe what the writer called "pegs", though, are urns full of genetic material. 

9dragons

• The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
    • View Profile
    • The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2012, 02:28:30 PM »
Getting the chills just watching this preview. The fact that he used Giger again to do the design shows true integrity. I have not anticipated a film more than this as far as I can remember.

(Just went through the frame by frame commentary and the alien nerd inside me is crying with joy. But I feel like I've learned too much already. Will follow Altus' wise advice and attempt to avoid any further investigation into the film until release)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 02:42:36 PM by 9dragons »

Antdude

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2012, 06:36:59 PM »
Still avoiding the spoiler sites, so not gonna visit the frame-by-frame commentary( I feel like I know too much already), but I broke down and saw "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" and the Prometheus trailer was attached, as well. What I noticed this time was Ridley Scott's use of the frame and widescreen format, which is somewhat lost in a Quicktime video.

'Alien' used the frame like few films I've ever seen before or since. The claustrophobia of the Nostromo's passageways and air ducts was a palpable thing, the cramped spaces of the flight deck and Mother's Room, imparted the feeling of lots of hiding places, and yet, no place to hide at all. The lower decks with their vaulted ceilings in perpetual shadow provided their own dark pools of horror. I can't overstate how effective that was on a 60-foot high screen. If you've never seen 'Alien' in a theater, been surrounded by that oppressive imagery and a truly enveloping soundtrack design, it's hard to describe what an incredible experience that was. Watching the ship glide silently across that cloud-filled sky in the trailer made me feel again like the 20-year-old film geek I was when I first heard about 'Alien' back in '78.

I guess my point here, if there is one, is that if you're at all interested in this film, don't wait for it to come out on video. Go see it in a theater, a big one, with Imax, if possible. That's what Event films are all about and I think we're all hoping that this will be the event film of 2012.

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2012, 11:21:24 AM »
I'm camping out at the theater to see the first screening.  Never anticipated a movie as much in my life!!

judd stephens

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2012, 01:20:50 AM »

DeepR

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2012, 04:55:05 PM »
Prometheus, The Hobbit, Samsara. Game of Thrones season 2.
Gonna be a great year. :)

Antdude

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2012, 06:18:01 PM »
The second trailer dropped today, and it's even more awesome. And with that, I really have to stop looking for stuff, because I think we're all going to be amazed:

Prometheus Trailer 2

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2012, 09:35:29 PM »
OMFG!!!!!!  ;D