Author Topic: David Bowie 1947 - 2016  (Read 480 times)

Antdude

• I was told there would be no math
    • View Profile
David Bowie 1947 - 2016
« on: January 11, 2016, 03:17:12 AM »
The news is just breaking of David Bowie's death from cancer at age 69.

I can't begin to describe how much of an influence he was on myself and undoubtedly, many others here. I have just about every album he made, along with a few rarities. I was fortunate enough to see him perform live twice in the '80's. I remember his bizarre & hilarious interview with Dick Cavett around the time Aladdin Sane came out. I remember the Saturday Night Live appearance that introduced Klaus Nomi to the rest of the world, and the most arresting version of "The Man Who Sold The World" I've ever heard. I remember when Low was released and many people were writing it off as a weird electronic doodle, an aberration.

Rather than be morbid, I'd like to remember the upbeat and stay positive about an incredible career:

David Bowie - Golden Years
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 12:07:27 AM by Antdude »
There is no spoon. Which sucks because I have a pudding cup.

thirdsystem

• View Profile
Re: David Bowie 1947 - 2016
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 03:59:55 AM »
Terrible,terrible news. Saw clips of his new video the other day and thought he was looking well :( .

Iconic artist and music,  seems to have been with me all through my life

My Heroes album , utterly superb !!! , will be on today and then Spotify for more Bowie.

Very sad . RIP David, a true musical hero.

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 06:46:07 AM »
We can beat them, just for one day
We can be heroes, just for one day'

RIP David Bowie, one of the brightest stars.

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 11:25:04 AM »
I was afraid to open this, just as with the Pete Namlook death announcement a few years back, hoping it wasn't true or some kind of weird joke.  Wow, I'm truly shocked.  A master artist and true innovator.  I'm sure he lived a richly rewarding and incredible life.   Rest in peace Mr. Bowie. 

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 12:36:53 PM »
Truly a hero to so many of us.

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2016, 01:39:56 PM »
"I've never done good things
I've never done bad things
I never did anything out of the blue"

--my favorite line from my favorite Bowie song, "Ashes to Ashes" (1980)

jdh

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2016, 02:26:55 PM »
I am certainly emotional today.

There was always a Bowie track from 1975-1981 on play in my household.

Shell shocked.

Now I know that the track Lazarus was about him.

I have read his books, seen his films and videos, his exhibition,seen him live from 82-2002.
If you were in a band that started in the late 70s, of the type of music we here listen to,it was only because of Bowie and Kraftwerk,maybe as a spark the Pistols.

There will and can never be another David Bowie. He was truly a person from another dimension.

Julio Di Benedetto

• Life is a privilege, not a right!
    • View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2016, 05:26:25 PM »

Adieu et mercie

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2016, 06:33:32 PM »
I remember being very moved by Low when it first came out in the mid-70s and by the rest of the Berlin trilogy that followed.  I remember seeing Bowie in The Man Who Fell To Earth around that time, and it made quite an impression on me.  One of the most unique and talented artists ever in any genre.

Forrest

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2016, 07:53:06 PM »
I am shocked, I didn't know he was sick. He will be missed! Tonight I played both albums that I love the best - Ziggy Stardust, and The Man Who Sold The World.

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2016, 08:29:29 PM »
I posted this on my facebook page, I might as well share it here:

I've told a few people this story but in light of today's events I thought I would pass it on to everyone.

During my first trip to Bali in 1992 I kept seeing this very striking tall woman around town. I had no idea who she was but she literally stood out amongst all the balinese woman. One evening I was invited to a special gamelan concert by the Tegas village gamelan. A very well known group who had recorded CDs for JVC and other labels. They were about to leave for a tour of Japan and they needed to get approval to go from the cultural affairs department, so a special one off concert was arranged. At the concert I saw that woman again, but I finally figured out who she was. I turned to the woman I was with at the concert and told her that woman we had been seeing all over Ubud was the fashion model Iman. She asked me how did I know? I said "because her husband David Bowie is sitting right next to me." They had just gotten married and were on their honeymoon. We spoke a bit, I told him what I knew about gamelan music, he seemed genuinely interested and just seemed like a very nice guy.

Thank you David for all the great music, and the great memories. You will be missed.
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

Dave Michuda

• View Profile
    • Low Light Mixes
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2016, 10:29:55 PM »
This is also some of my Facebook thoughts from today...

Part of me keeps hoping that the Bowie news is just part of some elaborate performance piece. His new album is about death afterall. He's even got a song on it called "Lazarus."
Maybe, like Lazarus, he'll come back from the dead and we will see this as the latest in a long line of Bowie incarnations. Maybe this is just a new character for him to play.
Unfortunately it appears his final performance is as himself, leaving us behind to ponder his influence on our lives.

His influence on my life was substantial.  In 1974, for my 14th, birthday, my older brother gave me four albums by artists that I was unfamiliar with. One of them was David Bowie's Ziggy Stardust & The Spiders from Mars. I firmly believe that album changed my life. I know that sounds ridiculous but after that album I started listening to better music - Bowie, Eno, Fripp, Talking Heads, Tull, Roxy Music, Genesis, Dylan, Tangerine Dream, etc. Music became hugely important to me. I worked at the student radio station in college and through that experience changed my major to Radio, TV & Film. After one thing leads to another over the years I end up editing video for a living. I'm in a creative field because of that album I got at age 14.

Thank you Ziggy Stardust.

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2016, 04:10:15 PM »
Hate to say it, but this song Blackstar is awful.  And the video is creepy as f***.  What's this all about?  Looks like some occultist illuminati swearing in ceremony.  Seriously.

Julio Di Benedetto

• Life is a privilege, not a right!
    • View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2016, 07:09:06 AM »

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2016, 11:43:19 AM »
Ahhh, much better...thanks

Antdude

• I was told there would be no math
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2016, 06:23:07 PM »
A fascinating track-by-track breakdown of "Heroes" by Tony Visconti:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03g18sx
There is no spoon. Which sucks because I have a pudding cup.

Dave Michuda

• View Profile
    • Low Light Mixes
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2016, 05:21:12 PM »
Thanks for the heads up on that vid!  Fascinating!