Author Topic: Stolen Flowers Of The Dead EP - New lo-fi ambient project  (Read 186 times)

David_Cassette

• View Profile
Stolen Flowers Of The Dead EP - New lo-fi ambient project
« on: June 09, 2015, 02:37:46 PM »
I hate all this self promotional stuff. Frankly I'm terrible at it so I'll get straight to the point. I've been working on a project of music that I guess might be described as lo-fi ambient. I'm not entirely sure to be honest. It's basically snippets of mostly real instruments recorded by particularly rudimentary means and then manipulated to create ambient/soundscape pieces. I'm not by any means a professional musician or producer, I barely have a clue what I'm doing so for all I know it might be awful. I'd very much appreciate anyone giving a listen though. It's only 3 fairly short tracks:

https://stolenflowersofthedead.bandcamp.com/releases

Castleview

• View Profile
Re: Stolen Flowers Of The Dead EP - New lo-fi ambient project
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 06:25:58 PM »
I like it. It reminds me of something I would try to do. The production is really good. You're on the right track.
http://castleview.bandcamp.com/
New album, Nocturnal Soul, available now!

David_Cassette

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 06:10:17 AM »
Thanks so much for the feedback Castleview. I especially appreciate the compliment regarding the production because that's something that I'm kind of paranoid about. To be honest I don't know my equalizer from my compressor and I do most of it in a version of the freeware program Audacity that's 10 years out of date so when it comes to mixing and stuff my options are limited and I'm just working solely on instinct. I always worry that even for lo-fi music it sounds under-produced in some respects.

I'm giving your stuff a listen now and, though I'm new to ambient music, I'm enjoying it very much. The textures are beautiful and hypnotic.

Castleview

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2015, 04:16:50 PM »
I really can't find anything bad about the production. There's no unwanted frequencies in the mix that I heard and it's not too washed out. The only thing bad I can really say is that it was too short.

I use Audacity too, but mainly just for piecing all my sounds into tracks. I don't do much processing of sounds in it. I'll use Wavosaur for applying extra VST effects/EQ once I'm done recording.

You're not as limited as you think you are, especially judging from your list of sound sources.

And thanks for listening to my music.

David_Cassette

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2015, 06:20:14 PM »
The only thing bad I can really say is that it was too short.

You may have a good point there. I think I have a natural tendency towards brevity because most of the music I've made before this has been more in a songwritery sort of vein and I was never great at playing for very long without screwing up so I always tried to rein in my track lengths. In the future I might make an effort to give things a bit more breathing space. Thank's again for the feedback!

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2015, 12:58:53 AM »
Had a listen and enjoyed.
I'd agree with Castleview - the tracks are very short - nothing wrong with that other than you have to get the whole of what you are trying to communicate across in a very short space of time. There is no need to stop doing this as it is an art in itself.

At the same time, if you start creating longer pieces as well you have more choices - to develop the musical content further, explore the ambient sounds further, develop the interplay between them further - all of which can lead into unexpected territories.

Was there a reason you chose to make the music in 3 different tracks rather than connect them in some way to make a single longer piece?

David_Cassette

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2015, 02:18:26 AM »
Was there a reason you chose to make the music in 3 different tracks rather than connect them in some way to make a single longer piece?

More great feedback! Thanks Seren.

In answer to your question; the truth is it never even occurred to me to connect the tracks into a single piece. As I was making them I wasn't sure if they were going to end up being used as instrumental/interlude type tracks for a previously existing music project or if I should release them as something new altogether. Ultimately I decided on the later as they seemed to work better without the juxtaposition of my other music, but they stayed single pieces of a length that I'm used to working with. In my head they are very separate entities as well. The first piece is like a soundtrack to a memory in my head of a summer night when I was younger spent with friends I barely see any more, the second, featuring acoustic guitars that to my ears now sound like violins or something, is about using psychological smoke and mirrors to avoid confronting ones loneliness and the third piece is simultaneously about somebody taking a shortcut through a cemetery with a friend and then later visiting that friends grave in the same cemetery.

I guess those thematic differences don't determine that it couldn't just be one long piece though, with separate movements. This is something that I will consider in the future now that you've brought the idea to my attention!

Castleview

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2015, 05:09:12 AM »
I'm not opposed to short tracks. You could always do an album with a bunch of them.