Author Topic: My review of "BIOMA" CD by Bruno Sanfilippo & Max Corbacho  (Read 971 times)

richardgurtler

• View Profile
    • My Discogs profile and shop
My review of "BIOMA" CD by Bruno Sanfilippo & Max Corbacho
« on: December 28, 2011, 06:34:50 AM »

Bruno Sanfilippo & Max Corbacho "BIOMA" CD

The two protagonists of Spanish ad21music label, Bruno Sanfilippo & Max Corbacho, have teamed up for their second collaborative effort entitled "BIOMA", released at the end of November 2011. The first one, "Indalo", was released back in 2003. "BIOMA" is quite different when comparing to "Indalo" or to any other of their previous solo works or Bruno's collaborations with Mathias Grassow. It remains in ambient genre, but with strong focus on field recordings collected in the landscapes of province Tarragona, Spain, during the spring of 2010. Location recordings of bird calls, insects, frogs and other water dwelling inhabitants, water sounds... are the base for this long form, clocking to 59 minutes, sonic palette merging carefully these environmental sounds with electronics. Some parts are very authentic, evoking nocturnal walk along the forest's pond and enjoying all the live performances of ecosystem's residents while some other sections move to more grasslanded areas spiced by assorted bells or cowbells, yet the texture remaining very tranquil. At times more high-tech escapades invade the environmentals too, but always keeping its character naturally colored, harmonious and living. Deeper, nightly drones come to the fore too, bringing this composition into more abstract level, but the organics won't lose this show and return back, even if few more experimentally breathing or echoed effects keep on enriching the texture. But also few more meditative, hypnotic moments can be explored when the sounds evoking singing bowls enter this walk. Last 12 minutes slowly return into natural beauty and tranquility to bring the album to the closing point where it all began. Both artists have managed refinely to melt and sculpt their own sonics with on-site phonographies to hold listener's attention through the entire piece. Yes, "BIOMA" is for sure different, but beautifully immersing and mesmerizing!!! Our two budgies love it too...:-) Hand-numbered elegant digipak is another bonus. Nice work, amigos!!!

Richard Gürtler (Dec 28, 2011, Bratislava, Slovakia)

drone on

• View Profile
Re: My review of "BIOMA" CD by Bruno Sanfilippo & Max Corbacho
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 11:25:02 AM »
Nice review as usual, although my opinion of this album isn't too high (sounded like an hour of birds chirping).  I wish ad21 would re-press some of the older OOP titles like "Nocturnal Emanations" and "Indalo" in limited runs of 200-300 as well. 

richardgurtler

• View Profile
    • My Discogs profile and shop
Re: My review of "BIOMA" CD by Bruno Sanfilippo & Max Corbacho
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 04:14:21 PM »
Thank you, drone one!!! Yes, you are right, some out-of-print albums like "Nocturnal Emanations" or "Indalo" definitely would deserve re-press. I see they are available at Discogs, but at horrible prices. "Resonant Memory Of Earth" was reissued, so let's hope, even if I can imagine that it's not easy to handle it even if in smaller runs. But maybe they would be able to spread additional 200 pieces. But in any case, I am thankful that Bruno & Max keep on releasing their works as pressed CDs. I wish more artists could do it this way. All the best.

Richard