Author Topic: The Hypnos Store: Solution for "Out of Stock" CDs in links.  (Read 3522 times)

The Sound-O-Mat

• View Profile
The Hypnos Store: Solution for "Out of Stock" CDs in links.
« on: March 01, 2008, 07:08:46 PM »
Since this affects Hypnos artists in particular, we at The Sound-O-Mat, who host the Austere Web site, amongst others, were asked by the band if there was any way to "test" the pages of their stock in the Hypnos Online Store, and if something was out-of-stock, redirect the user to another page back on their site.

We're happy to say we've written a small Javascript script that you put in place of a link to the Hypnos store, and it calls a PHP server-side script which figures out, based on whether or not the <title> tag is blank, whether or not the item is in stock, and if it is, sends the user off to the Hypnos Online Store, otherwise it redirects it, well, wherever you'd like it to go.

For those who might be Hypnos artists and who have links to the Online Store, if you'd like a copy of these scripts, please contact us at sound@sound-o-mat.com and we'd be happy to send you the scripts, although you'll have to look at http://austere.org/artifacts.shtml and understand PHP to be able to use them (the JS script won't require any changes, it's just a hook to call the PHP script - the way JS should be used, considering how hard it is to debug/maintain.)

Just wanted to offer it up as we get it implemented for the band's sites today, and they suggested we post about it here as a goodwill gesture.  Please note this is not a criticism of Hypnos nor Mike & Lena, just a limitation of the "storefront" software he's been stuck with, and the band (well, one of them) was going nuts worrying that people would think things were out of print, or not order if something was unavailable, and if you try to add an out-of-stock item things get weird.  So this little bit of AJAX-inspired magic ought to do the trick until Mike can upgrade the storefront software, some time down the road.

Would also be willing to take a site and add this to it, for a fee of course.  Or perhaps in trade for CDs?  There's still a bunch of Hypnos releases we don't own!  Cheers, Wink at The Sound-O-Mat.

GordonDanis

• "Because I had to get it all in"-John Coltrane
    • View Profile
Re: The Hypnos Store: Solution for "Out of Stock" CDs in links.
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 05:55:57 PM »
Regarding the allegedly "hot" sound of Solyaris, I like it.
I was just listening to another CD that was admittedly recorded "hot" (Spaceby the MJQ on Apple Records-legend has it that Milt Jackson, John Lewis, Percy Heath, and Connie Kay drank a little "spiked" soft drink, voluntarily mind you, before recording this music-I've heard the same about Coltrane's Om, and also assume the same to be true for every Tangerine Dream work recorded "in the day.")  The sound is clearer, a little more "in your face" on my speakers (Pro-Ac Response 1SCs with mathing REL 1 powered sub for each channel,) than previous Austere releases-but o my ears,it simply sounds "right."  It's like with air conditioning-if it's too cold you can always turn it down, but if it's too hot, you are screwed without it.  Similarly if the recording is too hot just turn down the volume, but if it's too soft, cranking it can cause other attendant problems.
-gd